BMW opinions..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BMW opinions..

I have the chance to buy a 1986 BMW 325is.
    5 spd, 6 cyl, 87K miles, leather, 2 door, factory front spoiler with fog lights and factory fin, BMW gold, alloy wheels.
    Any opinions on these cars?

You better sell that PRS quick if you intend to keep that on the road....
    Spin the black circle.

[email protected]

Comment

Not bad, 87k in 10 years. Check their maintenance log.
      BMWs are fine Bavarian driving machines, a uy a work just bought a 10 year 700 series and drives like a three year old car.
      I just test drove a brand new M5 over the weekend and fell in love with it.
      Mr. Patience.... ask for a free consultation.

Comment

Less than 5000 miles a year? Is this credible for some reason? The ultimate driving machine (manual no less) that sat in the garage all the time?

Comment

had frozen brains there nevermind me
          Last edited by buzzsaww; 11-07-2006, 09:06 PM.
          1+2 = McGuirk, 2+4 = She's hot, 6-4 = Happy McGuirk

Comment

It's an '86. 20 years. And I agree 100% with what Shawn said.
            Last edited by dg; 11-07-2006, 07:48 PM.

Comment

Don't do it unless you have both spare cash laying around and reliable transportation already, 80s BMWs are maintenance nightmares.
              Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

Originally posted by YetAnotherOne View Post
                Don't do it unless you have both spare cash laying around and reliable transportation already, 80s BMWs are maintenance nightmares.
                Thanks Brad. This is the kind of info I needed.
                I questioned the mileage too. 87K?? I wonder if it could be more like 187K.
                Do these cars have the odometers that turn over or do they have the extra digit?

Comment

No idea but the mileage could be legit, I have an '87 MB with 85k miles. It spent a lot of time sitting in a garage.
                  Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

BMW makes great cars but beware of the maintenance cost, especially on an older car like that. Also, not everyone can work on them and repairs can be very costly. Beware!!!

Comment

Brad hit the nail on the head...my old man owned a 2000 5 series for 4 years....all said and done I'd never buy a Beemer for myself....the regular maintenance along with the known electrical problems on the newer ones will deter me. You'll most likely end up spending big $$$ on it.

- Joel
                      RIP Donny Swanstrom...JCF bro
                      RIP Dime

Comment

The other problem is parts. I've had a couple of 20 year old German cars. No one ever stocks parts for them so you have to wait for days for them to get parts over here from Europe.................

Comment

I like BMW's...here is mine...an 87

Kicks ass and gets 60 mpg on bad days. It has taken me all over the eastern seaboard and as far west as Wisconsin.

chuck
                          "Those who know what's best for us, must rise and save us from ourselves!"

Comment

nevermind me i'm stuck in the past

Originally posted by buzzsaww View Post
                            ???? 10 into 87000 is 8700, that's slightly less than normal driving.
                            1+2 = McGuirk, 2+4 = She's hot, 6-4 = Happy McGuirk

Comment

BMW's are very well engineered and are fantastic machines. If properly maintained they'll be much more reliable then anyone here thinks. If not well its an expensive car to fix. But then when you get to this age, all cars are going to cost money to maintain. And nothing cheap to fix will be as much fun!

Being a 6cyl coupe its the top of its range and should hold its value very well if looked after. However, if it has been neglected, only time will tell.

Also the milage is easily legit, these things are very much weekend cars. Unless its from a dealer, anyway

Comment

Working...
                              X