Need some help from the bass players

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some help from the bass players

I was jamming with my father-in-law today at his place, and before I left I was looking at some of his axes. He's got this "old" MIJ epiphone strat bass with two pickups, chrome covers. He was saying that he'd been thinking about replacing the pickups with something more powerful so he could gig it. So I was thinking that I would get him a set of bass pups for christmas. But I dont know squat about bass gutiars, and Im not really sure what type of pickup to get, or what model.

Any thoughts, suggestions? Also, the serial is 0081486, if that helps.

Later,

Steve
    Guitars:
    '04 Jackson SL1 - Flametop Cabo Blue Trans Burst
    '94 Charvel Predator - Fire Crackle
    '77 Ibanez LP Custom Copy - Black
    Amp:
    VOX AD30VT

I know nothing of bass pickups but what about asking what he's thinking of putting in there. Steer the conversation to music and intruments and then nonchalantly ask him. Sorry, it's the best I can do.
    Don't forget the corn. It's nutritious, delicious, and ribbed for her pleasure.

Comment

Originally posted by UFORocks View Post
      I was jamming with my father-in-law today at his place, and before I left I was looking at some of his axes. He's got this "old" MIJ epiphone strat bass with two pickups, chrome covers. He was saying that he'd been thinking about replacing the pickups with something more powerful so he could gig it. So I was thinking that I would get him a set of bass pups for christmas. But I dont know squat about bass gutiars, and Im not really sure what type of pickup to get, or what model.

Any thoughts, suggestions? Also, the serial is 0081486, if that helps.

Later,

Steve
      Strat bass? I believe you're talking about a Fender Jazz.
      I wasn't aware of Epi Jazz's coming with the pickup covers? If so that's pretty cool.

Jazz bass means you'll need a full set of J pickups. And as for brands / models, there's litterally gazillions of them to choose from. There are tons of pickups that fall into the "more powerful" category. You'll need to figure out if you're going for a more vintage or hi-fi approach, active/passive etc. Active pickups are WAY more common in the bass world than the guitar world. If you wanted to give that bass a massive tonal make-over, you could get a complete active pickup / pre-amp setup (passive pickups with an active pre-amp works too). There are plenty of packages that include everything you need that will work with the Fender Jazz pre-drilled holes, including a 3-band EQ (or more if you get something with concentric knobs). They even have complete pre-wired pre-amps that include a replacement J-plate that come with all the concentric knobs and switches to your heart's content (example: http://www.bestbassgear.com/j-retro-preamp.htm ).

Common brands ... Seymore Duncan Basslines, Antiquity, Bartolini, EMG, Dimarzio, Rio Grande, .

Some pickups that I've used that I particularly like ... Basslines Quarter Pounder (super-beefy with a vintage edge), EMG-J (hi-fi tone, great 80's slap tone, but sort of sterile-sounding), Bartolini J's (super smooth tone, very quiet, piano-like).

Read thru Harmony Central for some more in-depth reviews. Bass players are very opinionated

-a

Comment

Originally posted by HoWheels View Post
        Strat bass? I believe you're talking about a Fender Jazz.
        I wasn't aware of Epi Jazz's coming with the pickup covers? If so that's pretty cool.

Jazz bass means you'll need a full set of J pickups. And as for brands / models, there's litterally gazillions of them to choose from. There are tons of pickups that fall into the "more powerful" category. You'll need to figure out if you're going for a more vintage or hi-fi approach, active/passive etc. Active pickups are WAY more common in the bass world than the guitar world. If you wanted to give that bass a massive tonal make-over, you could get a complete active pickup / pre-amp setup (passive pickups with an active pre-amp works too). There are plenty of packages that include everything you need that will work with the Fender Jazz pre-drilled holes, including a 3-band EQ (or more if you get something with concentric knobs). They even have complete pre-wired pre-amps that include a replacement J-plate that come with all the concentric knobs and switches to your heart's content (example: http://www.bestbassgear.com/j-retro-preamp.htm ).

Common brands ... Seymore Duncan Basslines, Antiquity, Bartolini, EMG, Dimarzio, Rio Grande, .

Some pickups that I've used that I particularly like ... Basslines Quarter Pounder (super-beefy with a vintage edge), EMG-J (hi-fi tone, great 80's slap tone, but sort of sterile-sounding), Bartolini J's (super smooth tone, very quiet, piano-like).

Read thru Harmony Central for some more in-depth reviews. Bass players are very opinionated

-a
        Thanks, Much appreciated
        Guitars:
        Amp:
        VOX AD30VT

Comment

well, our own bass extradoinaire Bill Z Bubbles will see this thread anyway and he will come hear and start praising G&L Magnetic Fields pickups, tell me I'm wrong Billy

That being said Magnetif Fields truly are amazing.

If you can't get those, then buy some vintage sounding J type pickups and a kickass Sadowski preamp.
          "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Originally posted by Endrik View Post
            well, our own bass extradoinaire Bill Z Bubbles will see this thread anyway and he will come hear and start praising G&L Magnetic Fields pickups, tell me I'm wrong Billy

If you can't get those, then buy some vintage sounding J type pickups and a kickass Sadowski preamp.
            Well by what I understand he plays the bass at the church once or twice a week and for a local orphanage, so considering the music he plays he probably doesnt need EMGs.

I guess something vintage sounding but more powerful than stock epiphone pickups.

I've had a hell of a time decoding the serial number, so I have an email in to [email protected]. I'm hoping they'll get back to me this week with some details.

later,

Steve
            Guitars:
            Amp:
            VOX AD30VT

Comment

Pickup configuration will cut your options down unless either of you are handy with a router. If it is a Jazz setup (looks like a single coil) then a standard fender replacement will give him a nice classic tone. Not real aggressive sounding but relatively versatile.
              "told you guys that spandex, hairspray and makeup on guys was a bad idea, and now look what happened - you all turned into women." - Newc

Comment

Response from customer service...

Thanks for the email. Unfortunately, many Epiphone guitars from the 70's all the way to the 90's had a 7 digit number which no list is available, so I am unable to tell which model it may be. If you would like to send in detailed pictures of the bass to [email protected] we should be able to help in identifying the model.
                Looks like Im gonna have to try and snag some pics of this thing. Hopefully my wife can get some pics without raising suspicion, I really want this to be a surprise.

Its really looking like I might end up having to just get him a gift card from MF or GC.
                Guitars:
                Amp:
                VOX AD30VT

Comment

Originally posted by Endrik View Post

You are correct old wise one..

Yes. G & L are THE most versatile sounding basses I have EVER had the joy of owning/playing
                  They do it all!!!..

G & L "L-2000" or "The Tribute" RULE!!!.. .both have the same active "Magnectic Field" pups..

Bill Z
                  "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                  Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Working...
                  X