God Damn Record Players

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• God Damn Record Players

but when they work, records kick ass. SRV on a 6 speaker 5-way speaker system with 15in woofers.
    I am a true ass set to this board.

What are records?

j/k

Comment

Don't laugh.:ROTF: :ROTF: :ROTF:

Comment

How long has it been since they actually sold records as new releases along with the cassettes and CD's. I'm guessing it's about 15 years since they were in production.

Comment

So what. The the quality of sound has never been matched with all these new formats. You have to hear a clean record on a good old stereo system. It's heaven.

Comment

Originally posted by etepbbb View Post
            How long has it been since they actually sold records as new releases along with the cassettes and CD's. I'm guessing it's about 15 years since they were in production.
            nah, you're just looking in the wrong places. Lots of bands are releasing their material on vinyl as well as CD's. its an "indie" kind of thing i guess.

Comment

It has been a few years since I dealt with these guys but at one point I was told that all top singles are still made on vinyl 45s because Juke boxes are so expensive that a lot of small bars can't afford to get the CD playing ones. Most Juke boxes are from outside companies that will split the profits 50/50 on the old ones, but will change you a mininum to have the CD playing ones. that could be changing with the digital players though. Not sure where to get those though. If you what the full "albums" on vinyl you will have to find them in the small trendy shops not the big chains.

Comment

Originally posted by mrsung View Post
                nah, you're just looking in the wrong places. Lots of bands are releasing their material on vinyl as well as CD's. its an "indie" kind of thing i guess.
                Yep, I still see new records in my favorite local record store.
                As a matter of fact, I need a new stereo with a turntable to play all my old records on.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by fett View Post
                  but when they work, records kick ass. SRV on a 6 speaker 5-way speaker system with 15in woofers.
                  In a trailer? I bet your neighbors fuckin love you!
                  Whataya Mean I Don't Support The System? I Go To Court When I Have To!

Comment

one of the chains here still sells vinyl. I could get the new Iron Maiden LP if I wanted it - they have it in stock
                    Hail yesterday

Comment

Watch your language, asshole!

"Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Aaaaah, records, yep, I remember them, back when all this round here was fields and life was perfect............until some twunt scratched your beloved LP!

Fett is dead on, they DO sound incredible on a kick-ass sound system, far superior to digital formats, not least because of compression and the fact that CD/MDs cut off a great swathe of frequencies at the top end. Above the range of human hearing, maybe, but still makes a difference to the output. You get the whole hog with vinyl. Being the proud owner of several BIIIIIIIIG PA systems (Vega, Martin Audio, Turbosound - and just about to shell out major cash for an EV Line Array), the difference is stunning. Mind you, when a piece of vinyl pops through a large system, everyone in the building jumps!

Also, these youngsters releasing all their music onto CD miss out on the magical process of going to see their labour of love cut onto a master and getting to scratch stupid comments into the lead-out , like I did at the legendary Porky's in London (Porky's Prime Cuts). Then taking it round and delivering it by hand to the pressing plant for them to churn out. Magic!

(OK, so youngsters today don't have to prop their bed up on thousands of unsold copies of their vinyl masterpiece, but it's not all roses.)
                        So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

these days I'm listening mostly to vinyls, last one has been The Last Temptation by Alice Cooper

Comment

Yea...I too, am breaking out the vinyl, and getting back into the jurassic object we know and love as the "record player".

I'm beginning to collect old (from the 50's & 60's) record players, and I just bought one that sounds incredible! Preamped with a 12AX7 no less!
                            Coupled with a pair of vintage Jensens...what a tone! The warmth, the pops and snaps....ah! Viva Le Vinyl!!

You can still get about 70% of new releases on vinyl if you look for it. Online or otherwise. Or do it the old fashioned way and comb garage/yard sales and such.

Comment

Snap, crackle and pop. I have had about a lot of turntables. The next keeper is going to be "Manual". No semi-automatics or automatics. They are a pain in the ass. I'll just have to get off my ass and change the record as it sits at the end going and going and going.:ROTF: :ROTF: :ROTF: :ROTF:

Comment

Working...
                              X