[GAMERS] Just bought Gears of War

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [GAMERS] Just bought Gears of War

..but I'm still at the office. I'll be back home in 2hrs!

I'm waiting until they release a playable demo. I'm also waiting for a playable demo of COD3. Partly because I've read too much stuff online about both games needing patches (and in both cases the developers have acknowledged these issues and are working on patches), but mostly because I'm tired of video games being pimped with slick "in-engine" cliffhanger movies only to find out there's something wrong with them once they hit the shelves.

Does anyone offer a refund, or do they just exchange it for another copy?

Once the developers have your money, they don't care if the game has issues.

Take Dead Rising for example: great game, and it even had a playable demo, but once it hit the shelves people with SDTVs found out the in-game text messages (which are crucial to completing the main storyline and essential to completing the side missions), are too small.
    Capcom's response? "Go buy an HDTV".
    They know it's a problem, and they have flatly refused to fix it.

The devs for Gears Of War spent a week playing with fans online, where they were told all about the problems, and claim they're working on a patch.
    My question to them was if these issues would have been found out with a playable demo well before "Emergence Day" or were they counting on the hype to sell the copies instead of quality?
    Apparently, it was the hype.

Call Of Duty 3 has been one of the most highly anticipated games of this year, since COD2 was such a smash hit, but there are serious issues being reported with it, especially in the MultiPlayer mode, which is a huge selling point for every gun-related game.

But, they relied on hype, and will hold off on a playable demo until near Christmas when they need to find more sheep to sucker.

I've been urging gamers on the Xbox forums to not buy new games until they get a playable demo on the Marketplace or OXM discs, and to tell developers to shove their hype up their own butts because gamers are tired of buying broken software.

p.s. Those "in-engine" movies like the TV ad for Gears Of War are not done on the Xbox360, they're done on a high-end PC that would normally do the movie in Lightwave, Maya, or 3DSMax using a higher-poly mesh than what comes in the game, and people fall for it every time.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Best game i've played since I started with atari 20+ years ago, hands down.

Comment

I've been hearing good positive reviews about this game.
        Might drop by the local eb and see if they have it hooked up to check it out.
        What consoles is it available on, xbox, xbox360, PS2 or all of them?
        Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

xbox360 only.

Comment

Thanks.
            Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

Waiting for this in the mail as we speak. Its for my son, hes kinda bummed that its taking so long to get here from buy.com. One of the down sides of using the google checkout. It adds time to the order. But if youre looking to get this game, check them out they are now offering 20 off of 50 so you could get it nice and cheap and if you dont like it flip it on ebay for a profit.

Comment

been playing this game now for a few days.....I cant stop....halo who?
                www.myspace.com/adawnwithin

Comment

I bought a 360 earlier this week and GOW is the only game I bought so far. As soon as I get it up and running (holiday prep has been rough) I'll drop my two cents in it as well.

Comment

It's gonna be ported to the PC soon..

I bought a Xbox 360 Core from Amazon.com when they had as a special offer. I had no idea I was going to win.... I don't know if I should use it or sell it and make a profit... No games really appeal to me at all and I need to buy a LCD monitor to actually have fun since I have a POS 13 inch TV.

Comment

Xbox 360 requires a large HDTV. I only have a lowly 20" tv to play on, and you can't even see what's really going on. Games are much nicer on my 21" LCD anyways. :p

Yeah, can't wait to get a HDTV to actually use my 360 though. Not this Christmas I'm afraid... eh
                      The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

I got a 32" HD Sanyo when I got my 360, and it's definitely great (of course I'm less than 5 feet from it cuz of all the guitar stuff )

I'll throw it on the folks' 52" next time they take a trip
                        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                        X