Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wireless Ear monitor systems. Advice please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wireless Ear monitor systems. Advice please.

I am thinking about getting a wireless ear monitor. looking at the carvin PM1000 unit for $300. wondering if anyone could tell me anything about these or any other brands/models? do you just use the house mix or a specified monitor mix? whats your preference? are you please with their performance?

how do they work in general on stage?

how bout the ear pieces? any ideas there? any better than others? more or less comfortable?

I appreciate any help you can provide. thanks!
    "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

The Westone UM-1 and UM-2 are good. We saw those at Summer NAMM 04, and I think Ralph E bought some a while back.

The Westones were very comfy and had a great tone.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Hey Newc, long time since I been on here. Nice to see an "old" face like you here. thanks!

SO do you mean westone makes wireless transmitters too, or just the earplug things?

Comment

I used the Shure system with the E3 in-ears (not mine, borrowed from a friend) and I think they're great, especially if you do vocals-the band I use them in runs samples live, and we can all hear a click track thru our in-ears and it works like a charm. We've got a mixer that we set up the monitor mix with, so each person's mix can be tweaked however they want it.

Comment

Hey boxcar, good to see you too. You still got that stylin stage outfit? bearskin cape, cowboy boots, blue and orange spandex pants....did I remember correct?

Comment

About a month ago I picked up the Sennheiser IEM and love them. The ear buds are passable, but I'm going to upgrade to the Westtone UM2 which is a dual driver. I guy I talk to on another board swears by them. If I can talk the wife into not killing me, I'd like to go with the Ultimate ear buds, but they are pricey.
            I've had two Shure PSM 200 units and had drop out problems with both and they just sounded thin to me.
            I swear by Sennheiser gtr and IEM wireless stuff. Yes it's a little more but to me the reliablity is worth it.

Comment

Oh yeah, Galaxy Audio has a in ear system that spec wise is real close to the Sennheiser, but not as expensive.
              I almost went with that, but I got a pretty good deal on the Sennheiser.

Comment

Make sure you get one with a built-in limiter. A friend of mine was comparing some online, and noticed that the Carvin system doesn't mention a limiter, so he went with something else...Shure I think.
                sigpic

Comment

whats a limiter?

Comment

anyone know what a limiter is?

Comment

If I understood him right, it's the opposite of a gate. Instead of cutting off the signal if it drops below a certain level, a limiter cuts off if it goes above a certain level, such as feedback, loud pops, and so on. If anyone saw the video of Dave Mustaine throwing one of his DV8s at a show, it supposedly because he got blasted through his in-ear monitors with some sort of extremely loud (unwanted) noise.

Very handy if you aren't in control of the monitor mix at a gig.
                      sigpic

Comment

ahh, very good. Makes sense. I would think something like that would be standard on any wireless monitor. Common sense to me, but I suppose some companies skimp on important shit like that. I will have to keep that in mind on my search.

Comment

anyone else got any input?

Comment

Working...
                          X