Looking for a video signal splitter....I think

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a video signal splitter....I think

Ok, here's what I'm looking for, but I don't know what it's actually called.

I'm looking for a device that can take one signal (say, a DVD player or some other audio/video device that has S-Video, Composite and/or Component outputs) and send it to two or more sources simultaneously and equally - i.e. little to no signal degeneration - via S-Video and/or Composite video (or even Component/HD video). Ideally it should have two (or more) sets of outputs for each type.

I'm guessing it's the same thing stores use in their TV Wall displays where each TV gets the same signal.

What would such a device be named, and where can I find them inexpensively?

This will be used (mostly) to split the signal from my Xbox360 to both my TV (Component Video) and my video capture box on my PC (Composite/S-Video) at the same time.

Right now I do this with either RCA Y cables or a signal selector I modified to send one input to two outputs, but both of those have a noticeable reduction in image quality.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

If you are seeing reduced video quality using the Y cables it may be the cables. Try using quality video grade gold RCA Y cables.
    Whataya Mean I Don't Support The System? I Go To Court When I Have To!

Comment

Here is one-----> Video

But I think the CC and BB stores use broadcast video more like a broadband network where the signal is broadcast through a video bridge, but maybe this works for you

Comment

It sounds like what you want is a distribution amplifier for video.

A couple of guys I know are doing some video wiring for a building, and they bought a distribution amplifier off of E-bay to handle HD video. It took one signal via component input, and split it to 8 outputs. It did audio also, both rca stereo plus, and coaxial digital.

Comment

An AMP is good for long runs but if the destination is patch cord length (3-6ft) I am not sure you would need an AMP. It might be too hot of a signal if the destination is in close proximity. Being it was a building I would have to assume the signal needed to be amplified to reproduce the signal over a longer distance

Comment

you need an amp..VDA....
            shawnlutz.com

Comment

Originally posted by St.James View Post
              If you are seeing reduced video quality using the Y cables it may be the cables. Try using quality video grade gold RCA Y cables.
              I am using gold-contact cables on everything.

It's not that the picture is faded, it actually gets a tad darker/richer, which I then have to lighten during editing. While it's not so bad on the TV, it can cause problems if I'm playing a dark game like Dead Rising or Oblivion and there's "things" in the darkness that are after me - the darkness is enhanced and I may miss something.

Or Burnout Revenge which seems to have a totally independent brightness setting which really screws with the visibility (can't see my reference points well enough, and darkening the screen makes it worse. Adjusting the Tv doesn't help much).

Looked around on Ebay for a VDA. Found the ones WalMart uses (CE labs), and since a $1400 plasma wallmount TV looks like an old-fashioned rooftop antenna, I'm assuming that's where the problem is

The HRT looks ok. Nice and small. But not for $150 if all it does is 3 S-Video and 3 RCA video outs.

Ah well, guess I'll just live with the RCA Y for now.

Thanks fellers
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I have a Splitter/Scaler made by a company called Extron, you can bung all sorts of signal in and it will split and scale it (strangely enough!), it gets used for conferences/presentations/launches etc. It would be exactly what you need.

However, at a mere £5K, I guess this is probably a bit over the top for what you want it for! Get a Distribution Amp project kit from RS.
                So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

Working...
                X