When people say they can play a certain song do they mean the WHOLE thing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When people say they can play a certain song do they mean the WHOLE thing

Sometimes I just find it hard to believe people when they say they can actually play 10 different songs buy guys like Yngwie and Paul Gilbert. Some guys I have talked to on different guitar forums say they can play Glasgow Kiss like its a piece of cake. Come on now, do you think some these people are exaggerating or lying a little? Who knows, maybe I am wrong.

I usually specify, "I can play about 30 secs of Far Beyond the Sun"

Comment

I can play any song ever written. My CD player is great like that

Seriously, why would it be impossible for someone to play any song in it's entirety? Not all great players have contracts, and not all players with contracts are great players.
      At one time there were several Black Sabbath songs I could play note-for-note from memory, record me playing them, then play them alongside the original recording and I was dead-on (tempo and all) because I practiced them so much.

I never understood why high school bands had to have the sheet music in front of them during parades and such. IMO you should practice a song until you know it by heart and can play it flawlessly without the sheet.
      Same goes for anyone else's stuff: if you can't play it from memory all the way through, you can't play it.
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I've heard people here that can certainly songs of that ilk all the way through.

But you are right, there are a lot of people who talk a lot of shit on the internet and who probably think that being able to play through a tab at half speed (slowing down for the hard bits) qualifies as being able to play a whole song.

When I say I can play a whole song, I usually mean I can play the first bar or so of the intro before I lose interest and forget to learn any further
        Hail yesterday

Comment

When I say I can play the whole song I can play the whole song...
          But I always say if there are some parts I`m struggling with...
          Or if I can`t play the solo (Pantera, DIME RIP) or something like that...
          Cold Hollow Machinery

Comment

When I say I can fart the theme to "Jaws", I really mean I can fart the first four notes. Some people can probably do the whole thing, at tempo!

Comment

people really can play whatever they state...with a time and hard work you can do anything.

Playing other stuff is is great and all but create like that those then your on to something
              shawnlutz.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                I never understood why high school bands had to have the sheet music in front of them during parades and such. IMO you should practice a song until you know it by heart and can play it flawlessly without the sheet.
                Same goes for anyone else's stuff: if you can't play it from memory all the way through, you can't play it.

In the columbus day parade we played in, my high school band didnt have any sheet music

Comment

Everything everyone says on the internet is 100% true, I am sure of it!

Comment

Originally posted by greenskeeper View Post
                    When I say I can fart the theme to "Jaws", I really mean I can fart the first four notes. Some people can probably do the whole thing, at tempo!
                    Speaking of which, my granddad promised me he'll once blow out a certain candlestand (farting) with all 7 candles lit. He said he'll do it after a big dinner, and christmas is closing in so.. It's time to remind him of his promise
                    "This ain't no Arsenio Hall show, destroy something!"

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Lutz View Post
                      Playing other stuff is is great and all but create like that those then your on to something
                      There ya go. It's one thing to play it, it's another to write it. Creativity can't really be taught.

Comment

I usually state I can't play anything that's worth a shit. Unfortunately, it's usually true.
                        Wal - Good from far, but far from good

Comment

When I hear or read "I can play (whatever song or album)," three questions come to mind: 1. Did someone ask or are you just bragging? 2. What reply are you looking for? 3. Do you really mean to say "When my mom drives me to Guitar Center, I can butcher enough of (whatever) to get the employees to ask me to stop?"
                          Then again, I'm an ass.

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Lutz View Post
                            people really can play whatever they state...with a time and hard work you can do anything.

Yeah, I know you can pretty much accomplish anything you want with hard work, but when I hear guys that have been playing for 2-3 years say they can play Glasgow Kiss in its entirety, I get a little skeptical.

Yep your right. I used to be into only covering other peoples music, but I have found over time that I enjoy making my own stuff, even if it is not nearly as technical as Steve Vai's stuff.

Comment

Working...
                            X