Verizon Can't Do Math

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LouSiffer View Post
    The call was made and the question was: " Is the data rate .002 *OF* a dollar or .002 cents per KB?"
    No, the question was: "Is it .002 cents or .002 dollars?"
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by LouSiffer View Post

$.002 is EXACTLY 0.2 of a penny or translated, it is 2/10ths of a penny. The number "2" is in the "tenths" column. So therefore, the penny is the WHOLE number.

Now if you had 1.2 pennies, you would have a WHOLE penny and 2/10ths of another. 1.2 pennies would translate to $.012.
      So, 0.2 of a penny is $.002. I agree.
      You then say that 1.2 pennies is $.012, and I agree again.

Now, you can not deny that 0.12 of a penny is the same as $0.0012 (from you first statement). If we divide your second statement with 10 we find that (1.2/10) pennies = 0.12 pennies is $0.012/10 = $0.0012.

So, by your own reasoning we find that 0.12 of a penny is the same as 0.12 pennies, i.e. there is no difference between pennies and "of a penny".

Or do you say that 0.12 penny is not the same as 0.12 pennies?

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post

Thats exactly right. That is what the whole phone call is about.

The customer complaining and then recording this shit is being a dickwad.

First, he believed a Verizon saleseman's word on the qoute.

Second, he believed that he ccould get a KB for two cents.

The dumb fuck needs to be shot.

Comment

Originally posted by SouthPlatteDemon View Post

First....the manager on the phone agreed on the rate that was quoted
          Second....the rate was .002 CENTS per KB
          Listen again

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
            EXACTLY!!!

Comment

Originally posted by monk View Post
              So, 0.2 of a penny is $.002. I agree.
              You then say that 1.2 pennies is $.012, and I agree again.
              Then there is no need to go further. You completely understand that $.002 cents is 2/10ths of a penny. You get an A+

Originally posted by monk View Post
              Now, you can not deny that 0.12 of a penny is the same as $0.0012 (from you first statement). If we divide your second statement with 10 we find that (1.2/10) pennies = 0.12 pennies is $0.012/10 = $0.0012.

There is a difference if you ask " Is it .0012 pennies or .0012 of a penny". If you ask " Is it .0012 pennies?", the dollar amount $.0012 stands and needs no correction.

If you ask " Is it .0012 *OF* a penny?", you have now made the penny the whole number. Example to simplify: XY.0012. The "Y" is the whole penny, and since pennies are always 2 places to the right of the decimal point, the decimal point must be moved 2 spots to the left So, to convert this to a dollar amount, it would look like this: $.XY0012. Now the penny is in the correct penny location.

Some people are thinking about it too hard and confusing yourselves a little bit. The going rate for data is $.002 per KB.

So, by using Michael's example from earlier:

.002= 1KB ( 2/10ths )
              .004= 2KB ( 4/10ths )
              .006= 3KB ( 6/10ths )
              .008= 4KB ( 8/10ths )
              .010= 5KB ( 10/10ths equals a WHOLE amount )

As you can see, 5KB finally made 1 WHOLE cent. You can not deny that, it is right there.

Therefore 50KB makes $.10 ( ten cents )

500 KB makes $1.00 ( 1 U.S. Dollar )

5000 KB makes $10.00 ( 10 U.S. dollars )

10,000 KB makes $20.00 ( 20 U.S. dollars )

20,000 KB makes $40.00 ( 40 U.S. dollars )

Does that make it clear as mud??-Lou
              " I do not pay women for sex. I pay for them to leave after the sex ". -Wise words of Charlie Sheen

Comment

Originally posted by quakana View Post
                First....the manager on the phone agreed on the rate that was quoted
                Second....the rate was .002 CENTS per KB
                Listen again
                I had a typo. I meant .002 cents per KB.

My point is that at no time does he say, "I'll fax over the quote and the contract I signed." He keeps stating that he was quoted .002 cents. I'm sure that during the conversation with the person qouting he pulled his math shit and got the person to say something they did not intend.

Even if he is right, then I think he should be shot anyways for making me listen to the phone call and then waste time posting on here about. LOL

Comment

The problem is when a number is associated with a unit (ie. cents or dollars) that unit is locked to the number it was associated with. You want a different unit, you have to convert it and can only do so by multiplying by 1.

We know $1 = 100 Cents
                  We are asking if .002 dollars = .002 cents

Lets use an identical set of units that are a factor of 100 apart

We know 1m = 100cm
                  so is .002m = .002cm?

well .002m is .2cm which is not .002cm

The only way to remove cents here is to multiply by a ratio of 1/1, which does not change any value. As we know, anything multiplied by 1 will not change.
                  The cent 'units' will cancel each other out, leaving only the dollar unit.

.002cents x 1 dollars = .00002 dollars
                  ____________100 cents

.00002 dollars < .002dollars

.002dollars x 100 cents = .2 cents
                  ______________1 dollars

.2 cents > .002 cents

$.002 .002 ¢

, and the fuggin plane will take off!
                  Last edited by audiophile; 12-13-2006, 02:16 AM.

Comment

I'm tellen' y'all, Google Empire rules over all.

Comment

+1

I could only take about a minute of that (don't know how anybody could listen to the whole 22 minutes) and IMO the customer really comes off as an asshat.
                      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

, and the fuggin plane will take off![/QUOTE]

You damn right it will!!!-Lou
                        " I do not pay women for sex. I pay for them to leave after the sex ". -Wise words of Charlie Sheen

Comment

Forgetting to turn the result of (rate x kb) into something of monetary use is the problem at hand.

0.002 x 35893 = 71.786

No one denies that, at least I hope they don't. The problem lies with Verizon's usage of this number. What Verizon forgot to do was to turn 71.786 into dollars, or in this case, cents.

71.786/100 = ~72 cents

Comment

Wow, this is still going on..over .000000002 cents?? Geez..I bet this thread can get to 6 pages before someone concedes!! (takers??)

Comment

A) At the time he got the quote, he was on his way to Canada. Do you travel with your cell phone agreement? That's what I thought.

B) He got permission to post the recording by the floor manager.

C) You're calling him a dumb fuck when multiple Verizon employees, presumably managers and managers of managers, can't do remedial math?

D) Lou, you're wrong. The Verizon executives even admit it. Why don't you email them and tell them they're wrong about being wrong using your special math!
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

Well, to be truthful, they figured it would take more time to explain this and cost of man hours, it would be cheaper to give the guy what he wanted and be done with it.

If you can not comprehend the following, You are a sad little monkey beater:

And to try to clarify why asking " Is it .002 cents per KB? " different than asking " Is it .002 *OF* a cent?"

When you are saying .002 cents, it takes five quantities of .002 to equal 1 whole cent. .002X5= .01. Let's take that penny and convert it to a whole number: 1. We can convert the penny to a whole number , since, it is in fact the object we are trying to dissect.

Now, lets say we have 1.2 pennies. If we wanted to convert that back to money, it would look like this: $.012

When you ask " Is it .002 *OF* a cent?" You technically are asking "Is it two-thousandths *OF* a cent?" the number "2" is in the thousandths location.

So now, lets say you have two-thousandths of a cent and someone gave you a WHOLE penny.

"Y"= WHOLE penny + .002= Y.002. Lets say we want to make that a dollar amount. We all know that the penny column HAS to go two spaces to the right of the decimal point. So now Y.002 becomes, .0Y002 or $.0Y002.

I really do not think anyone here is dumb. It is just that for 98% of the population, the penny is absolute and final when we are talking money. Nobody cares about that .009 at the pump turning $2.24 a gallon of gas to $2.249. For simplicity, most of us say $2.25 a gallon.
                                Therefore, we do not excercise our math beyond the whole penny.

I do purchasing where I deal with partial pennies. Meaning I don't buy Product A at $19.99 each, I buy Product A at $19.9875 each. By the way, $19.9875 translates to: Nineteen dollars, ninety-eight and three-quarters cents or one-thousand, nine-hundred ninety-eight and three-quarters pennies.-Lou

Comment

Working...
                                X