The pickup selector...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The pickup selector...

Ok, let's continue with the "I wonder why" topics...

So, being a hard rock/metal player, in my whole life the only 2 pickups I've ever used were: NECK and BRIDGE (mostly bridge).

Now, personally I like the 3 way toggle switch because it has less room for error when selecting a pickup, but, honestly I NEVER use the middle position...

Same goes for those 5 way switching blades on Strats and Ibanez. I mean, as I said, probably it has to do with the fact that I play hard rock and metal, but, again, I always had the switch either at the bridge or at the neck.

For me, the more switching options it had the worse it was because sometimes I found myself sounding like "sheet" and it was because I didn't throw the blade long enough so it was in the "bridge, bridge, middle" or some crap.

In MY opinion, the switching options that most guitars have come from the fact that back in the day most electric guitar sounds where obtained by the guitar itself, I mean, effects weren't around much and amps pretty much where just a clean channel (I mean the 50's and so on). So If you check out guitars from the 50's or 60's you'll see that they have TONS of switches and knobs, like, check a Fender Jaguar or Mustang and even the Gibsons had this rotary swtiches with chicken head knobs. Basically I think that it was all used to provide different tones, but my guess is that, then again, they mostly used the bridge and the neck pickup...

Nowadays you can get almost any tone you want just by adjusting the volume knob and well, the amp and the effects. So usually you will find yourself in this position: "ok, I need a nice lead creamy tone because I'm playing some leads on the high notes of my fretboard = neck pickup" or "I need a screaming raw crunchy tone = bridge pickup" and for most in-between sounds, you just roll off the volume knob or some people will actually use the tone knobs as well.

NOW, I know that SOME people use the middle position or stuff like to get some particular sounds specially for clean or crunchy tones, specially on Strats and stuff like that, OK, it may work, but let's be honest, most of the time when we play around with the guitar and play with the pickup selector switch you'll find the middle position and play some clean riffs ('cause distorted ones don't sound as great that way) and say to yourself "sounds different, kinda nice"... but, that's about it, then, you'll just use the bridge or neck pup.

Am I right? Or am I totally crazy?

I'd love to have 2 way selector switches in my guitars...

I never use the middle toggle position in my HH guitar. It sounds crap. I also stopped using the neck pup 9 months ago.
    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

I agree, no to both pickups at the same time and no to the tone control too...6 strings is a little excessive too, I could do with 4 less.

Comment

Again, on my LP I use the middle position all the time. Some of the best sounds I get out of it are a mix of the two pups. On the Jackson superstrat, the middle sounds like sh*t. Funny thing is I have the exact same pickups in both guitars. Neck only can sound good on the Jackson, bridge only is great but both is terrible. Maybe I need to figure out how to set up separate vol and tone with push/pulls or something.

Comment

Well, some guitarrists use 4-string guitars, thats just lame, well, in most cases they just say "hey, I'm super cool, I have a 4 string guitar", but come on, that's just not right. I mean, it's okay that some people don't know how to play or just don't play leads, like most guitarrists on the nu-metal era, but taking them away from the instrument is like saying "hey, I can't write with my left hand, so I cut it off".

Comment

I use the middle or combination of middle and something else all the time. I do use the bridge the most. But sometimes a bridge hum and a middle single together just sound better. Blending those 2 together gives me a bit more bite and clearity (especailly with a high output pup) and doesnt really alter the main tone of the bridge pickup. And as I said in the other thread iI use the tone knobs too. There's a limit to what you sounds you can get with just one or two pickups. Which i guess is why most of us have more than one.
            Gil

Comment

I use both pickups myself on all my 2 Hum guitars. You can really get some interesting tones depending on your amp/rig settings. The 3 way is here to stay!
              Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Why not rewire it so one position is 'Off'?
                |My CSG gallery|
                (CSG=AlexL=awesome)

Comment

The more you rely on your finger tone and not amps/effects, the more you appriciate all the guitar's functions. Jeff Beck uses every thing his guitar has to offer, so do I. I just love the tone controll, I love middle positions etc. And I really use 'em.

I find it funny that a lot of guys say that..."they should make these without the tone controll....or they should make these with one hum...or whatever"
                  Manufacturers try to make instruments wich are versatile and many players do need all the functions. Those who do not need most of the stuff can modify the guitar and take all the things away he doesn't need...not the other way that there are only very simple guitars and folks who need many functions have to upgrade them.
                  "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Originally posted by Endrik View Post
                    The more you rely on your finger tone and not amps/effects, the more you appriciate all the guitar's functions. Jeff Beck uses every thing his guitar has to offer, so do I. I just love the tone controll, I love middle positions etc. And I really use 'em.

I find it funny that a lot of guys say that..."they should make these without the tone controll....or they should make these with one hum...or whatever"
                    Manufacturers try to make instruments wich are versatile and many players do need all the functions. Those who do not need most of the stuff can modify the guitar and take all the things away he doesn't need...not the other way that there are only very simple guitars and folks who need many functions have to upgrade them.
                    +infinity

Go to Radio Shack and get a 2-way toggle to replace your 3-way so all you have is B/N.

Better still, if you're a pedal-head, remove the switch entirely and put in a stereo jack, get a stereo cable and a footswitch to select pickups.

If you're removing your Tone knob, remove the Volume knob as well and get an Ernie Ball High Gain Volume Pedal.

This way your hands never leave the strings and you can still get the benefit of both pickups.
                    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                    X