taking a good pic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• taking a good pic

Just thought I would see if any one has a suggestion on taking good pictures of guitars. I have a DK1 black. I keep getting glares and funny shadows. I have seen so many nice pics on here I thought I should just ask so I can she her off a little.

Thanks a lot.

btw - i am using a digital cam

outdoor shots look best. Consider your position in relation to the guitar or you'll end up the subject of the pic, reflected in the face of the guitar. Oh, and wear pants while taking pics (just in case you do end up captured in the reflection)

Not a great example, but here's one of mine:

Hail yesterday

Comment

ALWAYS USE A TRIPOD!

Natural lighting can be your friend, but not necessary! As long as you DONT use a flash and you dont have too many reflections your set! Tripod + no flash + good lighting = gold

Comment

I wanna know how you get ALL of the guitar in the pic AND a good shot. I can't seem to take a good shot of the entire guitar.

Comment

you just need to stand a loooong way away....

Hail yesterday

Comment

Put it down in front of a sliding glass door. If my camera had better clarity, this would be a great shot.
            Last edited by Sparkytfl; 04-14-2009, 04:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
              you just need to stand a loooong way away....

Er, irony?
              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
                Er, irony?
                yes, and me gary
                Hail yesterday

Comment

I like low angle shots the best - they can compromise on detail but you get a "cooler" picture in my oppinon.

Comment

1. Don't use a "busy" background. Lots of colors and stripes and patterns is good for Better Homes And Gardens, but detracts from the guitar. Use solid color backgrounds that have little or no pattern.

2. Use contrasting colored backgrounds. Don't put a black guitar in a black case or against a black background. Find a lighter-colored sheet to put behind it, or even some cardboard. Black against white is bad because the white can be overwhelming.

3. Turn the camera so the guitar goes corner to corner in the image to get a closer shot of the entire guitar.

If natural lighting isn't available (i.e. making Ebay listings in the dark of night), and your flash is too harsh, tear off a small piece of printer paper and tape it (clear tape) over the flash to diffuse it. One piece may not be enough, depending on the camera, so you can use 2 or 3 pieces if you have to.
                    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

You can take awesome guitar pics pretty much everywhere.

But seriously, the best place by far is outside when its bright and cloudy.

Comment

Originally posted by max View Post

by great Odin's beard, put some clothes on, man!
                        Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by max View Post

What's up with that image? Looks a bit 'shopped to me. Either the dudes arm (other arm ;-) is held forward in the shot or it's not.

Comment

Get Shawn in here. Nobody posts cooler pics of their gear, the boy knows how to do it.
                            Mr. Patience.... ask for a free consultation.

Comment

Originally posted by dk1ben View Post
                              Just thought I would see if any one has a suggestion on taking good pictures of guitars. I have a DK1 black. I keep getting glares and funny shadows. I have seen so many nice pics on here I thought I should just ask so I can she her off a little.

Thanks a lot.

btw - i am using a digital cam
                              maybe you should post some pictures you took so we can see what you're doing wrong..
                              taking pics of guitars isnt hard.. put guitar in nice not too "busy" background with plenty of light, point, shoot

this is how its done

If the crowd is shouting for an encore, but the sound guy is shaking his head, ignore him and play anyway

Comment

Working...
                              X