Your favorite short solos.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your favorite short solos.

Let's name the solos that get us all excited but don't last for hours. The solo's which are a good solid punch in the face because they are short and effective.

"Nowhere man" The Beatles.
    Players: George Harrison and John Lennon.
    This one has to be my all time favorite Beatles guitar solo. Lennon and Harrison playing unisolo with a very bright Fender Strat sound, one could easily play this one by himself (as Harrison proved when this song was performed live) but it's just that sound of two very different players playing exactly the same thing that makes this one special and of course it ends with that lovely litle "Ping" flageolette on Harrison's high E string.

"Cinnamon girl" Neil Young.
    Just one note, what more do you need?

"In Too Deep" Sum 41
    Player: Dave "Brown sound" Baksh
    Every once in a while a band shows up who are not afraid to show off chops and Sum 41 was once of those bands. Baksh' solo on this track is a very short one barely lasting two bars but what he plays is good and virtuosic.

"Life on mars' David Bowie
    Player: Mick Ronson.
    Possibly the shortest one in my list but oh so sweet.

"When it's love" Van Halen
    Player: Eddie Van Halen.
    This one stands out because EVH did one step backwards and played a very simple Clapton-like solo, no fancy tricks, no two hand tapping, just a real tippping-his-hat to slowhand kind of thing, the solo itself is similar to Clapton's solo on "Sunshine of your love"

Finally one solo that was so great it had to be repeated four times.

"Five To One" The Doors
    Player Robby Krieger
    "She" Kiss
    Player: Ace Frehley
    "Alive" Pearl jam
    Player: Stone Gossard
    "Is there any love in your heart?" Lenny Kravitz
    Player: Probably Kravitz himself
    Krieger had apparently struck a solo so right that it appeared on songs totally different from the one he wrote it for but it works in all incarnations.

No offence, but there isn't a single Neil Young guitar solo that doesn't make my skin crawl. Someone please teach Neil a couple more notes.

Comment

Originally posted by OnlineStageGear View Post
      No offence, but there isn't a single Neil Young guitar solo that doesn't make my skin crawl. Someone please teach Neil a couple more notes.
      Well I can't speak for others but I love the fact that he just played one note over and over. Maybe you'll be able to find yourself in Lindsey Buckingham's solo on Fleetwood Mac's "The Chain" which also is a one note solo.

If you don't know that one, here's the link

Comment

You think the In Too Deep solo is virtuostic? Shows chops?? Huh. It is two finger tapping.

Comment

Originally posted by slash-ed View Post
          You think the In Too Deep solo is virtuostic? Shows chops?? Huh. It is two finger tapping.
          Still it's way better than what other bands in that genre do: no solos at all. And at live performances Baksh clearly showed that he can put his money where his mouth is. Take for example Sum41's metallica medley on MTV icon: he did a good job playing hammet's leads.

Comment

Andy Summers/Driven to tears

Comment

Michael Schenker
              UFO - Let it Roll
              the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

I thought of some more.

"Heart shaped box" - Nirvana
                Player: Kurt Cobain
                I don't get how people got the idea that it was bands like Nirvana that killed off the guitar solo when all of Nirvana's songs have solos in them. Cobain was no virtuoso and this one was nothing more than him playing along with (Bassplayer) Chris Novoselic's bassline but with a very fuzzed up and cool sound.

The first solo in "whipping boy" - Ben Harper
                Player: Ben Harper himself.
                The first time I heard this one I did a double take "What was that?" Harper's clear stinging accoustic Lap steel sound really caught my attention. He followes the vocal melody but with so much attitude.

"Bitter fruit" - Little Steven van Zandt
                Player: Little Steven Van Zandt
                I always loved this song and Van Zandt plays a solo really fitting to the message, quick and painless.

"True men don't kill coyotes"
                - Red Hot Chili Peppers.
                Player: Jack Sherman
                From their very first album. Jack Sherman's solo consists of only a couple of bends and two or three riffs but he delivers them vith vigor and nastiness. Of all guitarists that the RHCP had Sherman was the one most obviously Zappa influenced. According to Anthony Kiedis' biography, he totally worked out his solos in advance.

"Fight like a brave" - Red Hot Chili Peppers
                Player: Hillel Slovak.
                If Jack Sherman was the one who thought out his Zappa style solos in advance, Slovak was the one who just went for it full speed and just played what came to mind. This one has him "Hendrix-ing" all over the thing but he doesn't actually play much, just some random riffs and a few stinging bends.

"Suck my kiss" - Red Hot Chili Peppers.
                Player: John Frusciante
                As was the case with Slovak, Frusciante is the kind of player that plays whatever comes to mind, in this one he plugs his stratocaster streight into the board resulting in a very nasty razor thin tone. He plays a couple of quick riffs and that's all. One of his greatest solos IMHO.

Comment

Van Halen - I'll Wait
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Stryper - Against The Law

They're all just seperate little licks. Kick ass stuff. The unisono between the whammied out notes and a screeching Michael Sweet is just so awesome.
                    You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Iron Maiden - Blood Brothers.

That little lead sends chills down my spine. One of Maiden's best tunes too.

Van Halen - Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

It's Eddie. Nuff said.

Demons And Wizards - Beneath These Waves.

Nothing really orgiginal or ground breaking here, just a kick ass solo in an amazing song.

SNFU - Tears

The intro solo is fucking great. Also very easy and fun to play. Great band if you haven't heard them - check 'em out

Voivod - The Prow

Both leads rule. Piggy was the man, but these are my fave solos by him. R.I.P.

Anthrax - Any Place But Here

The funny thing is, Charlie plays this one! Great solo, killer song.

Ratt - Lay It Down

Love this one, always have. I finally started figuring this song out and got the rhythm almost down. Working on the leads today. If anyone want to help a bro out has a correct tab, and wants to save me the work, PM me.
                      THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Comment

Def Leppard - Animal. PC is a master of short solos
                        Bon Jovi - Wanted Dead or Alive. Richie is an awesome player
                        Poison - Fallen Angel. Love him or hate him, CC has a great sense of melody!
                        Popular is not the same as good
                        Rare is not the same as valuable
                        Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Working...
                        X