Check out the Hawk!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Check out the Hawk!

Parked itself right outside my window for about 2-3 minutes. First one I've seen at my feeder ever, but I have no idea exactly what Hawk it is...

Sparrow hawk?

He's probably just waiting for his dinner to fly in!
    Last edited by circle of the tyrants; 01-02-2007, 01:15 PM.

Comment

Awesome photo Doug. I love Hawks

Comment

Where are the kids? I know from personal experience that you are at the wrong end of this one. When a hawk decides to take a dump, it goes horizontally with a great deal of force.:ROTF: :ROTF: :ROTF:
        Last edited by fett; 01-02-2007, 02:18 PM.
        I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Gibson Blues Hawk perhaps ???

Comment

Thanks FETT, but there were two panes of glass between me and his dumper :ROTF:
            Originally posted by fett View Post
            Where are the kids? I know from personal experience that you are at the wrong end of this one. When a hawk decides to take a dump, it goes horizontally with a great deal of force.:ROTF: :ROTF: :ROTF:

Comment

A kittyhawk?:ROTF: :ROTF: :ROTF:
              I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Looks pretty damn close...
                Originally posted by circle of the tyrants View Post
                Sparrow hawk?

He's probably just waiting for his dinner to fly in!

Comment

Hawks and Eagles are soo frekin cool.

Comment

Cool!!

Comment

that's a pigeon

I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Comment

Both my brother and his girl are grad students specializing in these kind of subjects.
                        Had this to say.

"Nice pic. It's an Accipter (genus), either a Sharp-shinned hawk or a Cooper's hawk. Sharpies are smaller, but both will work a bird feeder. Both like wooded areas, though Coop's frequently are found around water. It's tough to tell the two apart without seeing them for real or having a size reference in the pic. I guessed a Sharp-shinned hawk by the fact there's no light feathering between the top of the head and the back. Julie guessed a Cooper's based on the length of the tail. "

Sharp-shinned (Accipiter striatus) and Cooper’s (Accipiter cooperii) hawks commonly prey on feeder birds, and they are frequently reported by FeederWatchers. Despite their common occurrence, these hawks present a significant identification problem for many beginning and intermediate (and even more advanced!) birders. There is great variation in plumage and in size for these two species. Therefore, […]

Comment

Excellent info, thanks very much!
                          Originally posted by audiophile View Post
                          Both my brother and his girl are grad students specializing in these kind of subjects.
                          Had this to say.

"Nice pic. It's an Accipter (genus), either a Sharp-shinned hawk or a Cooper's hawk. Sharpies are smaller, but both will work a bird feeder. Both like wooded areas, though Coop's frequently are found around water. It's tough to tell the two apart without seeing them for real or having a size reference in the pic. I guessed a Sharp-shinned hawk by the fact there's no light feathering between the top of the head and the back. Julie guessed a Cooper's based on the length of the tail. "

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/pfw/Abo...terIDtable.htm

Comment

Thanks Dave!
                            Originally posted by quakana View Post
                            Awesome photo Doug. I love Hawks

Comment

Heh, he looks pretty determined!
                              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Working...
                              X