Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help from Canadians please! (or anyone who's shipped guitars to Canada)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help from Canadians please! (or anyone who's shipped guitars to Canada)

OK guys, I've searched and read a bunch of threads about this subject, but can't seem to find the actual info I want.

I am moving to Vancouver BC, and will likely want guitars shipped to me there from the US. From the threads, USPS seem to be the way to go, as they don't charge the brokerage fees that UPS etc charge.

I realise that on delivery I will pay Fedral and Provincial duties, which I think are 6% and 7% (or thereabouts).

What I'd like to know is:

A: Are Canadian customs horrifically inefficient as I've been led to believe (i.e. stuff sits there for ages)?
    B: Are Canadian customs likely to want to dis-assemble the guitar to check for drugs (I read that somewhere!)?
    C: Do I have to pay the customs charges in advance before goods are released, or do I pay the delivery guy?
    D: Would it be easier to just drive down and collect guitars from Seattle? (I'd have to rent a car though!)
    E: What kind of percentage are the UPS (etc) brokerage fees?

If I go with option 'D' and decide to be an honest person and declare the guitars coming back in:

1 - Will canadian customs take an age to process it, if I have a receipt with me?
    2 - Will they want to take the guitar apart?
    Popular is not the same as good
    Rare is not the same as valuable
    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Originally posted by neilli View Post
    A: Are Canadian customs horrifically inefficient as I've been led to believe (i.e. stuff sits there for ages)?
    B: Are Canadian customs likely to want to dis-assemble the guitar to check for drugs (I read that somewhere!)?
    C: Do I have to pay the customs charges in advance before goods are released, or do I pay the delivery guy?
    D: Would it be easier to just drive down and collect guitars from Seattle? (I'd have to rent a car though!)

If I go with option 'D' and decide to be an honest person and declare the guitars coming back in:

1 - Will canadian customs take an age to process it, if I have a receipt with me?
    2 - Will they want to take the guitar apart?
    a: the only delays I have ever endured were leaving the country. Customs holding items bound for Europe.
    b: I have had all of my boxes opened but nothing has ever been dismantled.
    c: you can pay the delivery guy or in advance if you use UPS/FedEx/DHL.
    d: it may be easier but if you're searched on the way down and no guitars are present, you'll have some explaining to do coming through with a bunch of pointies.
    e: Ian, as far as I know there's not a fixed percentage they charge, but it seems to average out at $75 for brokerage.

I can't answer you other two questions honestly, so I won't try. I hope this helps!
    Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

a: I've never had a guitar take more than 2 weeks to arrive.
      b: I've never had anything taken apart. Sometimes the boxes have been opened, but not always.
      c: What Jimmy said. Some sellers include brokerage fees in their shipping costs. Usually I just pay the delivery guy.
      d: If they catch you, keep in mind that the border Nazis are basically a bunch of losers that got the job so they can powertrip on people. Don't expect them to be reasonable or leniant.
      e: $75 sounds about right.

I've brought guitars over before, and it usually doesn't take too long to get through. If you've got the receipt, they will just charge you tax on the cost, and you'll be on your way. I've never had anything taken apart, even the one I got caught smuggling over the border.
      Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Thanks guys - as for point D, I didn't mean 'sneak it through', I just meant: go and get it so I can get customs sorted there and then
        Popular is not the same as good
        Rare is not the same as valuable
        Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Yeah, sure dude. I asked a friend of mine about that scenario today and he says he just shows the invoice or receipt and pays based on whatever the invoice says. He's a truck driver and a guitar collector - he does this weekly. He also says your guitars will not be taken apart.
          Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

In my experiences in Sask, yes. My guitars take MIN 2 weeks to arrive. Usually 3 is the average...

Never had that problem.

Ive always paid the delivery guy..

Ive tried that, way too much hassle , and with the price if gas, sucks!

I dont pay ANY fee's. I have found a little loophole in the system

2 - Will they want to take the guitar apart?[/quote]

Comment

Hongcouver may be the coolest city on the west coast.
              ...that taste like tart, lemon yogart

Comment

Originally posted by gemini8026 View Post

I dont pay ANY fee's. I have found a little loophole in the system
                Could you share this with us?
                JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
                Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

Working...
                X