Need some good advice...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some good advice...

So, life is tough right now. My wife left for bitch reasons, and took the car with her. Yes, it was her car that she paid for with her settlement (a story in itself), but I paid insurance, tax, etc for 2 years. The reason I couldn't get my own car is because I supported the two of us for 2 years cause she was on probation from a DUI and on community service forever, thus me being the only incomoe. So question one, should I still help her out with her car? Now I'm stuck without a car, and still need to work. I'm in the Navy, so it's not like I can just go find another job. So my main question is what car to go for. I can probably swing about 300 to 400 bucks a month for a car, or get a loan thru Navy Federal, but I want something reliable. I don't want to go new cause who knows what bullshit expenses could come up in the near future (divorce attorneys mostly). Not to mention Jiffy Lube just fucked up her car so who knows how that's gonna turn out. Could make a whole thread entry about that but will refrain. And now I'm rambling cause I drank too much tonight. So bottom line: I'm in the Navy capitol of the world where the try and fuck you with 20% interest, and finances are tough right now. I'll live on the streets before I pawn my guitars for money. So, what's the best car to go for? Sorry for the rambling, stress factor for me is immense and I have no idea where the next day is gonna lead. Hope someone can help me out.
    EAOS: 28JUN09

2002 Impala. Should be able to get one pretty reasonable.

If the insurance on her car is in your name, call today and cancel it. Also remove yourself from the tax records of it, because they WILL pursue you for those taxes. If the title is still in her name, that should be all you need to prove the taxes are not your responsibility.

If Jiffy Lube screwed her car up, it is now HER problem.

And if it does come to divorce, don't think for one minute that being "a nice guy" is going to make it come out better for you. Lay her DUI/out of work business out in court to prove that you are the responsible party, and that you should not be burdened with her welfare (alimony).

Believe me, her attorney will try to rape you in court, so go in like it's war.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

If you just want transpo, a recent Ford Taurus would be good also.
      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

300-400 dollars a month? I'd get a Honda Civic.

Comment

Thanks Newc and Ron. That's kinda the way I was going, definitley something domestic as far as cars go. I just need to let go of the bitch, but my heart is having a hard time letting me. Hard after six years of being best friends. There just comes a time where you have to let go before the person brings you down with them. I haven't even pawned her engagement ring yet, but she took no time to pawn the JS30RR she got me for my birthday back in July. I put about 200 bucks into it too, Duncan Distortion in the bridge and Planet Waves tuners. Think she got about 100 bucks for it with the Coffin Case. Dumb bitch. Crazy how much life can change in a couple months. Once I get my car I'm sure it will be over. Luckilly, the insurance on her car is in her name, I'm the secondary on it. So I'll just talk to the agent and have my name taken off (license is immediately suspended in VA if you have a car and no insurance). And there's a big thing I think I have in her if she tries to fuck me when court time comes for divorce, that is, if paraphenalia(sp) counts as proof of drug abuse.

Comment

May I ask why you don't want to get something reliable and low gas mileage? Especially used.. yuck. American cars are not what they use to be.

I'm sorry to hear what she has done. She sounds very unconsiderate and not thankful.

Comment

I'm right down the road from you (Virginia Beach), and I'd recommend checking out some of the reputable dealerships for a nice used car. Don't go to one of those shithole used car lots that offer to pick you up if you're in the military. They're out to fuck you, and their cars are crap. My wife got her Jetta from Greenbrier in Chesapeake, and they were great to deal with. The Hall Automall in VB has thousands of cars, and might have a better domestic selection if that's your thing. These places can get you financed for a longer term loan than your credit union will do on most used cars, and the interest rate will be fair & based on your credit history. For $300 - $400 a month, you have a ton of options in nice late-model used cars, or even something decent new.

Comment

Okay, so I got approved for a 12k loan at Navy Federal. I'm going used, obviously, so now a question. I can go through carmax and get an '01 civic dx coupe for around 9k with 117,000 miles on it. Checked the blue book values and that is about right. My first car was a Honda with some serious miles on it, but how long can I expect this car to go for with this many miles? I've looked around online, and most of the stuff in my price range has at least 70k or more on it. Other options through carmax are a 99 S-10 with 70k, price 8,600, and an 03 malibu around 70k for 9,600. I need a car quick but don't want to get something that will be dead before I even have the loan paid off.

Comment

I'd probably look at Honda (civic, accord) or Toyota (camry) stuff, they seem to have some of the the best reliability of the stuff that comes in my shop and good fuel consumption as well.

Chrysler stuff has a lot of electrical and transmission issues and the Ford/Merc stuff (taurus contour etc)have a lot of trans issues as well.

Comment

Honda all the way, my man. I've been in the car business for ten years and I would make that recommendation all day long. Keep up the basic maintenance and you can drive it for many more years.

Edit - I picked Honda from the choices you mentioned. A Corolla, Protege, Sentra...all good reliable cars in the price range you need.
                    Last edited by Top Jimmy B; 01-10-2007, 01:07 PM.
                    Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

Thanks guys. I'm probably gonna go with the S-10 or the Civic, that 117k mileage is just kinda making me have second thoughts.

Comment

A gas engine is pretty close to the end of it's life with over 100k miles on it. IMHO of course.
                        Last edited by SouthPlatteDemon; 01-10-2007, 06:01 PM.

Comment

Say what?
                          Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

I was gonna recommend NFCU, but you already did it. I've been a member since 1978 and always used them. My cars, some of my guitars, amps and my house. Can't go wrong with them.

Good luck with the car. Its been 20 years since I lived there, so things have definitely changed. Are you originally from VA Beach/Norfolk area? I couldn't wait to see it in my rearview mirror when I transferred. Never went back to live (only visit), My daughter lives there still though, so I do go back.
                            Occupation: Department Director for the Department of Redundancy Department

Comment

What's up Don. No, I'm originally from CT, definitely hear you on being pretty amped to leave this place. Navy Fed kinda gave me the runaround at first, but it all worked out today. Now I just gotta watch out for the crooks around here............

Comment

Working...
                              X