Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I give up on the idea that I can write originals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I give up on the idea that I can write originals?

Seriously... I come up with riffs/songs all the time. The problem is that they all sound like an 80's band. I swear if it was 1987 I'd be set...

I've been in two original bands in the last four years. The first had all their material and were too lazy to come up with anything else. The second was a similar situation, but I did write two tunes. In both cases, I purposely tried to make them sound relevant. When stuff flows out naturally, it sounds like it could be on a Dokken or Ratt record. Anybody else have the same problem? Is it a lost cause?

Obviously you should play and write for you, but it would be nice to have happening stuff.

the problem isn't in the writing, you lack the stylistic elements of modern music....modern rhythms, modern chord shapes etc.
    just listen to modern music and you'll get the right feel but you still can use your own writing ideas (melodies, chord progressions etc.) only playing them in different feel.
    try to use heavier chords and playing them in more of a shuffle rhythm.
    heavier chord would be if you press the 2nd fret on the low E and the 2nd fret on the A string....and maybe adding an extra not...2nd or 4th fret on D string.
    And use a lot of sliding ocatve chords.
    It's pretty simple stuff really but it works.
    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Steve, you excel at covers and your a very good player..

Stringing riffs together to make a song isn't hard as it seems.. It comes quite natural for me because that's ALL I do. I never covered anything note for note..other than my VH trib.

Here's what I do..I have a metal library ..too much to get familiar with ..other than my faves.

Whenever I put on something that is grabbing me by the balls and INSPIRES me, be it a riff, groove, whatever sparks that inspiration. I run to my guitar before I even finish listned to the song..

Then I go for a similiar "vibe" and come up with something completely different. Sometimes I come up sometheing that is too close to what they're doing and have scratch what I came up with because I don't want it to be a blatant rip-off..

So whenever a song catches your attention and inspires you..grab your guitar immediately and put your spin of what you just heard before you get to actually know the song..

Hope that helps..it works for me.

Unless I just stumble on shit while fuggin' around.,,by myself or jammin' with my kid.

Tape your riffs..all riffs when able and listen to them..then you can cut and paste them as you see fit. If you get 4-5 riffs strung together, that's a song right there..

Hope that helps,

Bill Z Bub
      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I've been trying to broaden my horizons by listening to recent music, but I always fall back on the 80's hair stuff. I've been listening to alot of Nevermore, COB, Dream Theater, Evergrey, and I've been checking out what my nephews listen to too. So far, it has yet to seep into my playing.

That isn't a bad idea Bill. Maybe I'll put on some newer stuff and jam to it to see what comes out. I try not to do that because I don't want to steal any riffs. I guess I need to stop being so uptight!.

Comment

Originally posted by khabibissell View Post
          I've been trying to broaden my horizons by listening to recent music, but I always fall back on the 80's hair stuff. I've been listening to alot of Nevermore, COB, Dream Theater, Evergrey, and I've been checking out what my nephews listen to too. So far, it has yet to seep into my playing.

That isn't a bad idea Bill. Maybe I'll put on some newer stuff and jam to it to see what comes out. I try not to do that because I don't want to steal any riffs. I guess I need to stop being so uptight!.

Steve, Bro..your listening to excatly what I do..

Yeah man..even when listening to Jeff Loomis..and like a certain progression, groove or Idea..fuggit, put your own spin on it without learning the actual riffs!!!

That's exactly what I do..at least half the time!!

Just let it flow..it doesn't have to be complex, or "perfect"..as long as you can duplicate it and it kicks ass!!!

Some days, I can't play my own shit..

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

To have it seep into your playing you gotta actually learn the stuff. Figure out a few songs, by ear at best. That might help.

I've listened to alot of Al Di Meola, but do you think I could come up with such stuff? Maybe if I learned some of it...
            http://www.myspace.com/officialuncreation

Comment

You don't have to LEARN other people's music to create your own..FUCK NO!!!

I never learned a whole song "note for note" in my musical life..but I can construct killer metal songs, like nothing..I think that has been established!!

I say NOT learning other people's shit to concentrate on my own creativity helped me immensely to be "original"!!!!
              Last edited by horns666; 01-08-2007, 04:04 PM.

Comment

don't ever give up, i only play my own music ,when i can, anyway now, i have never played in a cover band, ever. i've always been able to write, but have needed a partner or partners with melodies.words and music come easily to me but seperately. do not give up.
                Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

I won't give up, but it does get a little frustrating. I record everything I come up with, no matter how lame or incomplete the idea is. I have about three years worth of riffs and even whole songs, but have never used them in a band.

I guess if I'm going to sit in my room and play it would be okay, but I'm going to start putting a project together and I'll bet playing the old school stuff would be a tough sell to other prospective musicians.

Endrik is right though... if you play anything with a straight 8ths or 16ths feel or have any sort of melodic "arena rock" chorus (which I always end up putting in there), it automatically sounds dated. Modern heavy music seems to be based on rhythmic ideas rather than melody... well, except for EMO, and I'm DEFINITELY not going there

Comment

dude, I think you get "it" real soon, you are not used to write with modern feel, but it's actually pretty easy. I'm old school too but I listened to some modern stuff and applied that feel to my writing style.
                    Reb Beach sounded modern on his solo album, George Lynch sounds modern on Lynch/Pilson album etc. these guys are very old school but they turned on the radio, heard the modern feel and sound and then combined it with their own stuff.
                    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Originally posted by Endrik View Post
                      the problem isn't in the writing, you lack the stylistic elements of modern music....modern rhythms, modern chord shapes etc.
                      I've been trying to do this, but have been having trouble coming to grips with these "Power 5ths" that all the kids are using these days.
                      Hail yesterday

Comment

play what's in your gut. Dated or not. Things are cyclical, and if whatever is coming out of the speakers sounds good, then it's good.
                        Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

sounds like 1987? bring it on.
                          I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

I feel you bro.
                            And the advice here is good.
                            I have been and still kinda am in a slump myself....

I'm what you call an Yngwie reject and Vai freak.
                            So I spent 10 years playing nothing much but covers of YJM, Vai, Satch and other various high flying shredders.

Of course I was in several original bands over the last 10 years which was cool, but I always felt I was in a melodic minor funk.
                            I have tried to broaden my playing but I always go back to my familiar runs. Esp. whne I try to do this whole new shuffle rhytmic picking... UGHH!
                            I am very big into instrumental melodic guitar and have lots of songs I've awritten in that vein... of course they all sound like Vai or YJM or Satch etc.... So Now when I'm faced with a new original band opportunity, I tell them , I'm not writing shit. Just the solos. But basically I've decided to just do the cover band thing for now. I need a break after over 10 years of all original music.

The best thing for me was to break down and learn to play Animal I have become from 3 Days Grace. I looked at the tab and had the song learned and memorized in less than 5 minutes.
                            Thinking to myself, this is WAY to Fucking easy. but there it was, The simplest shit I've ever played and I might add some of the most fun I've had playing.
                            So I'm still trying to get out of the 80's and YJM funk myself and thought I'd let you know, YOU"RE NOT ALONE!
                            There are many of us! LOL!
                            Keep at it. I know I am and I have to if I wanna play any decent venues in Houston.

PS: another thing, on at least 1 guitar, get rid of the 09-10 gauge strings and drop some big ass fatties on it and drop tune to C or C# and Dropped D.
                            Thats what they're mostly doing today...
                            Last edited by vwall; 01-09-2007, 02:55 AM.

Comment

Steve, through PMs...you WILL write a bad ass tune!!!

Shoot me a few of your favorite riffs you think flow well together, and we'll go from there!!!

Trust me..

Bill Z

Comment

Working...
                              X