Realtime Playback Through Computer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Realtime Playback Through Computer?

I'm trying this M-Audio Jamlab and I get about a 3/4 second delay from the time I strum the strings to the time I hear it from the speakers. Makes it impossible to play really.

I've got the buffer setting up all the way to 96 khz. The audio card is an SBLive from 1999 I think.

Is it even possible to expect my Pentium III Dell PC to play realtime playback with my guitar?

Yes it should be able to do it no prob. Make sure you turn off anti-virus, firewall, screen saver and other CPU pigs.
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Comment

You are pushing it a bit using a PIII.
      The SBLive is a decent card, but not really designed to do what you are using it for.
      -Rick

Comment

I had similar problems even with an Audiophile sound card that's really good. Ended up buying a Guitar Port and that's solved all my problems.
        www.myspace.com/historyofheavymetal

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
          You are pushing it a bit using a PIII.
          The SBLive is a decent card, but not really designed to do what you are using it for.

Not really. I'm running Windoze 98SE on a home built PIII 800 with 640 megs of RAM and an SB Live! card. I record on here using Cakewalk, and can play along to CDs and MP3's all the time too. No latency issues at all.

Make sure the buffer on the SBLive and the M-Audio device are the same. That would definetly cause the type of issue you're having.
          THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Comment

I have no trouble out of my SBLive card. While it's not Studio-used, I'm not doing Studio-level stuff. Even with a ton of I.E. windows open my card keeps up just fine, and it's the same model Dells use (SB Live Digital).

It has to be the M-Audio thing. USB, right? Could be a USB 2 device in a USB 1 slot?
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
              I have no trouble out of my SBLive card. While it's not Studio-used, I'm not doing Studio-level stuff. Even with a ton of I.E. windows open my card keeps up just fine, and it's the same model Dells use (SB Live Digital).

It has to be the M-Audio thing. USB, right? Could be a USB 2 device in a USB 1 slot?
              Thanks for the help on this! It is the M-audio jamlab going through a usb port.

You could be on to some thing here Newc. My Dell portable MP3 player always gives me a notice that I can getting better performance by adding a HI SPEED USB host controller whatever the fuck that is.

Is that something I can install or does it have to come on the computer already?

Comment

Originally posted by Nuclear Vampire View Post
                Not really. I'm running Windoze 98SE on a home built PIII 800 with 640 megs of RAM and an SB Live! card. I record on here using Cakewalk, and can play along to CDs and MP3's all the time too. No latency issues at all.

Make sure the buffer on the SBLive and the M-Audio device are the same. That would definetly cause the type of issue you're having.
                That's almost identical to my system. Mine is a 933, same ram and Sound card. I had it up to 16 tracks without it skipping or anything.

Comment

Originally posted by SouthPlatteDemon View Post
                  Is that something I can install or does it have to come on the computer already?
                  You can get add-on USB 2 cards.

Comment

Windows 98 doesn't support USB 2.0
                    That didn't happen until Windows 2000/Windows ME.
                    -Rick

Comment

And don't 95, 98 and ME have a 512MB limitation? I've heard bad things happen with you install more than 512MB - system has "out of memory errors" because pointers get warped or something. It's documented on Microsoft's website.

Comment

The JamLab minimum system requirements say it only needs a 500Mhz PII & 256 MB RAM, but it does require at least XP SP1, most likely for USB 2.0.

Comment

You might want to check out your ASIO Drivers to make sure they are up to date. You should not be getting a delay like that at all.

-Nate
                          Insert annoying equipment list here....

Comment

With the right drivers Windows 98 will support 2.0 but I have never done it.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                              And don't 95, 98 and ME have a 512MB limitation? I've heard bad things happen with you install more than 512MB - system has "out of memory errors" because pointers get warped or something. It's documented on Microsoft's website.
                              Tell me about it. I've got programs that won't run in XP because they are stuck in a 512MB limitation, so they don't see my 2GB of RAM
                              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                              X