No announcement yet.

creating abstract desktop backgrounds..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• creating abstract desktop backgrounds..

I am wondering how to create cool abstract desktop backgrounds like the one seen here

and here.

Is there a specific program that people use to create stuff like this?

Thanks
    Light intervened, annihliating darkness.
    The path of salvation made clear for the prodigal human race

That first one I think is from the game Myst, one of the later ones, actually.

Comment

Bryce
      750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
      Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

A program like 3D Max will make amazing things like that.
        Whataya Mean I Don't Support The System? I Go To Court When I Have To!

Comment

You can get started creating amazing stuff like this by using terragen (free)
          The home of Terragen - Photorealistic 3D environment design and rendering software.

Some hints:

Bryce (commercial )gives you some more advanced tools....

Let me know if you want more specifics.

Cheers!

Son Of Spy
          1976 Gibson Mk53
          1988 Charvel Model 3
          1993 Jackson Dinky Reverse (DR5)

Questions are a burden to others; answers are a prison for oneself.

Comment

Some of my Bryce stuff...

750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
            Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

It was Bryce I was thinking of, not 3D Max... That program can do some seriously cool stuff.
              Whataya Mean I Don't Support The System? I Go To Court When I Have To!

Comment

3DS max is sweet too and there are some really good tutorials and training DVDs out for it. I've been distracted for a while, but I was learning it for creating game content.
                |My CSG gallery|
                (CSG=AlexL=awesome)

Comment

First one is not Myst. It's either Vue d'esprit (or whatever) or Bryce, though if it's Bryce, that's a crappy sky

Could even be TrueSpace or some other app - Bryce stuff usually looks way better.

The second one could be Photoshop or Paintshop Pro. Just do the "leaves" (there's a Picture Tube for PSP that looks a bit like that), dupe/mirror it, then do a mirror plugin on it and blend the layers. If it was 3D, you'd see mesh collisions, not the inverted colors (unless it's a really high end 3D app, and if that's all you're doing in it, you wasted $7500 )
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                  X