computer buying quest number 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• computer buying quest number 2

This time it is for my Dad. My folks are relocating due to bankruptcy and my dad has been living at the new home up north for the last few months. He has not had a computer and is at the point where he really needs to get one asap. He has maybe $600-$700 to spend.

First off here is what he needs.

1. Microsoft Word... for work
    2. A printer/copier/possibly fax machine. More for the printer and copier but he needs something that does not suck
    3. Preferably a flat panel monitor at least 17" big due to space and eyesight restrictions.
    4. A cd burner
    5. Something that overall functions well, is user friendly, is from a reputable company, has enough space for music and pictures, etc, etc.

I am thinking he may need to stretch his budget a little if he can to get what he needs. He'd like to get a Dell or Gateway because those are what he is familiar with but I'd be willing to settle for just about anything as long as it works well and is reliable. I am thinking maybe we could go for a lesser known brand and get a good deal rather than having Dell or Gateway build something. I would like to stay away from HP's because to my knowledge you can not boot them in safe mode. Since my computer knowledge is limited, safe mode helps me clean out viruses and stuff when the computer is on the fritz.

Any ideas, hints, death threats, etc, etc?
    Light intervened, annihliating darkness.
    The path of salvation made clear for the prodigal human race

He can probably get a dell for that and buy the printer thing seperate. Look at the base model and just upgrade the memory and monitor and see what it comes to. Sometimes they have a deal where they either upgrade the memory or harddrive or optical drive for free. It doesnt sound like he needs the most powerful processor that they offer. Or you could just see what good old walmart has laying around in a box thats cheap.

Comment

any other ideas? What about brands like Compaq, Acer, etc, etc...
      Light intervened, annihliating darkness.
      The path of salvation made clear for the prodigal human race

Comment

That sounds like a basic computer to todays standards except maybe the printer. I would get a Dell, usually they have coupons floating around for some deals if you google it. I would not consider another company at this time.

Comment

Before Xmas, I walked my former boss through ordering one for his son from Dell with exactly what you want, and it came to around $600.

Comment

Working...
          X