Glock or Beretta...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glock or Beretta...?

OK...I'm getting a Handgun for the home. We have some friends who teach at pistol ranges, and my Wife is interested in getting one. I used to be a US Army Ranger back in the 80s. But my Wife is clueless though. Just asking anyones advice on what you prefer. I'd be fine with an AR15 with Grenade Launcher, but that is overkill...LOL!

Years back, a friend and his wife had both a 92F and a comparable Glock. Her preference was for the 92F because she felt the little extra weight made it easier to control. You're probably looking at completely different models now, but the weight may be an issue still. Are there any ranges nearby that will let you fire different guns for comparison?

Comment

I have two Berettas (92FS and Cheetah), the 92 being my favorite.
      Great balance and very accurate.
      My Father in law and I rented a Glock 9mm last week and did a side by side comparison and both had the same opinion afterwards. Beretta 9mm.
      I am eyeing a cople of other ones H&K and Walther.
      Mr. Patience.... ask for a free consultation.

Comment

Try a Sig they have some of the smoothest triggers.Glocks don't have a conventional saftey and I find that unnerving.92 F's are bulky and very hard to reach the saftey with your shooting hand under extreme conditions.
        The great thing about the Sig is the long trigger pull on the first round.It keeps you from accidentally squeezing a round off in a life or death situation.What I mean is you have to make a concious effort to squeeze all the way.
        Rule #1 Don't foget nothing.
        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Beretta 92FS - very comfortable and has some nice safety features as well. One of their safety features is an indicator that lets you know there is a round in the chamber even if the mag is out.

Comment

If you are getting the gun for home defense, then there is only 1 way to go. Get a shotgun. Easier to use/aim in a tense situation, less worry about wall penetration, the sound of that thing loading will scare the crap out of most people.

If you just flat out don't want a shotgun. Then Sig Sauer p229 40 cal. Better stopping power than a 9mm, easier to handle than a 45(for the Mrs.). Superb high quality weapon.
            Come and get one in the yarbles, if you have any yarbles, you yunick jelly thou!

Comment

I pack a Sig 239 c/c and have for years.It has never failed to feed a round.I have shot this gun a lot and never any problems.I can't say that for the Glocks and Springfields I've owned
              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by VinceV View Post
                If you are getting the gun for home defense, then there is only 1 way to go. Get a shotgun. Easier to use/aim in a tense situation, less worry about wall penetration, the sound of that thing loading will scare the crap out of most people.
                Winchester Defender....great shotgun for reasonable $$$ Gotta be smart though and buy shells with a load that won't penetrate the walls, because some loads will go through that and then some.

Comment

I personally like the colt .45 auto,

That being said, around the house, a S&W 686 4" in 357 would be a fine, uncomplicated tool for scaring the bejeezus out of a bad guy, or putting a hole in one. Utterly simple, no magazines and safeties, etc.

I like sigs, but that hump where the decocker goes is annoying to me, the 92fs is sort of grip bulky, but pretty conventional, and the glock is ok.

I don't think you can go wrong as long with any of your choices as you guys are familiar with it. Practice handling it regularly and don't be scared of whichever you choose (I am sure you won't be, but some folk's spouses just aren't as interested)
                  When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

If you want a real Beretta, get a Taurus 92. Made in the same factory where the good Berettas came from.
                    As for home defense, Mossberg 500.
                    Comes with two barrels, I prefer the 18" for close up stuff.

The scariest sound in the world is the sound of a 12 gauge being cycled in a dark room... and you're not the one doing it.
                    -Rick

Comment

Sig, Glock, Beretta, can't go wrong either way, its a personal feel situation, I've had a 92F for 15 years or better and have put a lot of rounds thru it with no problems, ever, I really like the controls on the 92F especially the safety
                      I say the boy ain't right!

Comment

What about the Kimber KPD?

Comment

Get a shotgun. .........the sound of that thing loading will scare the crap out of most people.
                          That's the one, the univeral attention get'r.

Comment

40 cal. Better stopping power than a 9mm, easier to handle than a 45
                            Easier to handle than a .45? Sorry, the 165/180gr .40 S&W has noticeably more recoil than the standard 230gr .45 ACP load.

DD3, does your wife have small hands, or can she handle full size autos? That would be my primary concern in finding a common self defense handgun in the home. If it doesn't fit her comfortably in the hand, it will not be comfortable for her to shoot.

For smaller hands I would suggest... Walther P99, HK P2000, S&W M&P, Steyr M9/40 series...

If she can hold a Glock 17 or Beretta 92FS fine, then most of the handguns out there would be suitable, take her to the range and let her try a few different rentals.
                            The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
                              If you want a real Beretta, get a Taurus 92. Made in the same factory where the good Berettas came from.
                              As for home defense, Mossberg 500.
                              Comes with two barrels, I prefer the 18" for close up stuff.

The scariest sound in the world is the sound of a 12 gauge being cycled in a dark room... and you're not the one doing it.
                              So true... I can't imagine the scum bag breaking into your house in the middle of the night to take your hard earned loving possesions, not to mention, one of your loved ones and hearing click clack!!
                              Prepare to scramble douche bag!!!!
                              Mr. Patience.... ask for a free consultation.

Comment

Working...
                              X