Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Observation about Broadway style musical singers...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Observation about Broadway style musical singers...

Every time I hear a musical, whether the singer is male or female, there is almost always something aoubt their voice that I find extremely irritating to my ears.

It's obvious that they are good singers in the technical sense, but it's always something aoubt the timbre / texture of their voice that turns me off. It's almost exactly like listening to a technically proficient guitarist with extremely bad tone.

And usually I hear it as a "hump" or "spike" in the upper mid range in the singer's voice. Has anyone else noticed this? Do musical producers intentionally hire singers with that kind of vocal "tone"?

- Leo.

YES, Don't you watch American Idol, they always tell a lot of people you would be good in theatre when the say NO to them. I work for a theatre and I don't go to many shows because of this!

Comment

They are just looking for something new to make what they are doing unique. It's like when singers fuckup the national anthem. Anyone that has a "good ear" will just take this as fingernails on a chalkboard.
      I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised that part of making the cut is that their voice projects well and cuts through, and that is part of what you find annoying. I also notice that they sometimes tend to have a bit wider & slower vibrato that can be grating, but again that is probably what works best onstage.

Comment

Why would anyone watch American Idol?

Comment

Ethel Merman.:ROTF: :ROTF: :ROTF: :ROTF:

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
              YES, Don't you watch American Idol, they always tell a lot of people you would be good in theatre when the say NO to them. I work for a theatre and I don't go to many shows because of this!
              I haven't watched TV for a long time, and by the look of things, my self-imposed moratorium on TV will continue for a loooooooooooooong time

Good to have verification from other musicians, 'cause for a long time I thought maybe I just can't appreciate the style "yet"... and a lot of my friends (mostly non musicians) are really into musicals, so whenever they talk about how great _______ (insert musical) is, I am always "hmm... I see...."

From now on I'll trust my ears

Comment

I loved the old school broadway type of singing, don't care much about the modern stuff.

btw. the latest rockstar who is doing that stuff now is Corey Glover from Living Colour, one of the best singers ever IMO. Sebastian Bach got booted because of his ego.
                "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Originally posted by dg View Post
                  I wouldn't be surprised that part of making the cut is that their voice projects well and cuts through, and that is part of what you find annoying. I also notice that they sometimes tend to have a bit wider & slower vibrato that can be grating, but again that is probably what works best onstage.
                  That's a plausible explanation

Too bad we can't just switch out their vocal cords for after-market ones with alnico magnets and hand wound coils

Comment

That's what happens when you take opera lessons... James LaBrie, anyone? :ROTF:
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

no thanks!
                      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                      Sully Guitars on Facebook
                      Sully Guitars on Google+
                      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Umm...why are you listening to musicals?
                        "You have a pud..your wife has a face. Next time she bitches..I'd play cock bongos on her cheeks..all four of them!" - Bill Z.
                        I just just had a sudden urge to sugga dick..! If I wore that guitar and didn't suck male genitalia..somethin' is very wrong! - Bill Z.

Comment

I know!!!!! Because the real good ones have real good music. But, I am a Westside Story kind of guy.

Comment

Bernstein wrote one of the greatest piece of music in the history for Westside Story
                            Last edited by Endrik; 01-22-2007, 06:58 PM.
                            "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Originally posted by MikeStrat View Post
                              Umm...why are you listening to musicals?
                              I don't actually, just that on the rare occassions when I am driving, and my mp3 player runs out of battery, I will surf the radio channels, and sometimes that's what's on the air... (like today, which is why I decided to post this today to see if I can get some answers to this observation that I have been curious about for a long time)

Or when a friend recommends a musical to me, then I'll listen for a bit, just to be polite...

A lot of them have good music / melody / composition though, it's just the singers' voices that I can't stand

Comment

Working...
                              X