Shipping a tube head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shipping a tube head

I want to sell my Powerball but I have no experience shipping something as monstrous and at the same time as fragile. I dont know if this is a good idea at all. Opinions/experiences appreciated.

I have shipped tube amps. The first thing you do is take the tubes out!!!!!! Next, find the boxes that will allow 4 inches all the way around for packing. I would use a sheet of insulation all the way around.. I don't know the size of your amp. Get your packing squared away first before you throw it up for sale. And go to your shipper first with the size of the box and the weight. Have them tell you $X and add another 30% on the shipping quote on the sale. If it's less, just rebate the difference back. Use Paypal. State that when you do the sale. Insure it but realize that if it isn't packed to withstand falling out of an airplane, you will lose.
    I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Fett's right. One detail he omitted is that once you remove the tubes, you in dividually pack them in bubble wrap, then together with more bubble wrap, then put them back into the back of the head, making sure there's enough bubble wrap that they don't move around. That's the safest place for them and saves you having to send the tubes in a separate box.
      Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

What he said.

Comment

Thanks a lot guys.
          Do they ship these things in wooden boxes or something? I just cant imagine putting it in a cardboard box no matter how stable it is...lift the box and the amp is still standing on the floor...

Comment

There is a circular stamp on the bottom of the box that states how much weight it can take. If I were me, I would go to your local supermarket and get a couple of apple boxes. Those boxes kick ass. You may have to make you own. I had these very cool bronze tall lamps. I was at a loss for boxes. Then, I found the apple boxes. They work great and the lamps made it from Seattle to NYC with no problem.

Comment

Thanks, fett. All in all it sounds like the hassle I expected. :/

Comment

Originally posted by max View Post
                Thanks, fett. All in all it sounds like the hassle I expected. :/
                Try shipping a cab lol.
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

Last amp I sold, I did leave the tubes in it, I bagged it in a garbage bag and put it in a tight box, then into a box with 3-4 inches of room and foam peanuts, then put that into another box with about 2-4 inches of peanuts...
                  Triple boxed... Lotsa padding, Got there perfectly. Was like 46 bucks to ship from Cleveland to Idaho.

Comment

pulling tubes is bullshit, the force it would take to knock out or shatter the tubes would would severely damage the amp. i have shipped several amps no problems. companies ship thousands of amps a year with very few problems. both my engl and framus came to me in perfect condition tubes installed. the engl came packed in a single box with just bumpers at the corners.
                    1+2 = McGuirk, 2+4 = She's hot, 6-4 = Happy McGuirk

Comment

You don't have to have enough jarring to break a tube to mess up the insides of one. To each his own.

Comment

Originally posted by buzzsaww View Post
                        pulling tubes is bullshit, the force it would take to knock out or shatter the tubes would would severely damage the amp. i have shipped several amps no problems. companies ship thousands of amps a year with very few problems. both my engl and framus came to me in perfect condition tubes installed. the engl came packed in a single box with just bumpers at the corners.

You would think.. but I did have an amp shipped from England once via ocean freight that arrived with a bunch of broken glass... no tube socket covers on the 12xa7's.
                        Granted.. the amp no longer worked really well either and needed service.

It's not a bad idea on a Mesa or Fender where the tubes hang inverted.
                        I often ask a seller to remove them and pack individually just as a precaution.
                        Some tubes such as military grade are able to handle higher vibration and have greater durability..they were made for a reason.
                        Last edited by charvelguy; 03-22-2007, 01:00 PM.

Comment

if it gets jarred what difference does it make if it's in or out.

Originally posted by fett View Post
                          You don't have to have enough jarring to break a tube to mess up the insides of one. To each his own.

Comment

see what i meant?

Originally posted by charvelguy View Post
                            You would think.. but I did have an amp shipped from England once via ocean freight that arrived with a bunch of broken glass... no tube socket covers on the 12xa7's.
                            Granted.. the amp no longer worked really well either and needed service.

It's not a bad idea on a Mesa or Fender where the tubes hang inverted.
                            I often ask a seller to remove them and pack individually just as a precaution.
                            Some tubes such as military grade are able to handle higher vibration and have greater durability..they were made for a reason.

Comment

Originally posted by buzzsaww View Post
                              if it gets jarred what difference does it make if it's in or out.
                              If you wrap each tube and pack them in a separate box there is a far better chance of them arriving intact. You ship your amps anyway you want. But, for me the tubes get pulled. And 1000's of guitars get shipped in shabby packaging. All is well and good until yours comes with a broken headstock. Packing "IS" everything. To me, shipping a tube amp with the tubes in-place is just not worth the risk.
                              Last edited by fett; 03-22-2007, 01:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X