Vista and your games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vista and your games

I just heard this on CNBC. It appears that the new Vista Op System may not let you run your old games without a fix. WTF? I can't find any story on Google yet, but stay tuned.
    I am a true ass set to this board.

Some older games don't recognize higher versions of DirectX.
    Not a Windows problem. Bad programming on the game creators part.
    I've been running the release verison of Vista Ultimate for a month now and it works great. No issues with any of my games or recording software.
    -Rick

Comment

Actually, Vista is going to be great for recording software as soon as the vendors update their software to take advantage of some of the new realtime scheduling services. Cakewalk has done this already for Sonar and from what I hear the results are awesome.
      I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Yep... I'm running Sonar Producer Edition 6.01 with the latest patch and it works great.
        -Rick

Comment

Tim, that's it, no sales pitch?
          Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
            Yep... I'm running Sonar Producer Edition 6.01 with the latest patch and it works great.
            in your opinion is it worth the $ to upgrade from XP SP2? I'm not a gamer but I do run Sonar..
            shawnlutz.com

Comment

I got Vista with my MSDN subscription (company provided), so cost was not a factor for me.
              Is it worth the $399 to buy Ultimate, or what ever the upgrade version costs??? Not sure, but I did notice an improvement in performance.
              -Rick

Comment

Cakewalk just release Sonar 6.2 which has native Vista support. I'm still on Sonar 5 with XP so I haven't tried this yet.

- Newc

Comment

Hmmm.... must see what they changed. 6.01 is working fine for me, so depending on cost, I may or may not, upgrade.
                  -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy B View Post
                    Tim, that's it, no sales pitch?
                    I ain't here to sell anything. Except for a few fine items in the Classifieds of course.

- Newc

Comment

Hmmm.... must see what they changed. 6.01 is working fine for me, so depending on cost, I may or may not, upgrade.
                      It's pretty steep. It's a free download.

- Newc

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Lutz View Post
                        in your opinion is it worth the $ to upgrade from XP SP2? I'm not a gamer but I do run Sonar..
                        Which version of Sonar? Contact the vendor of your video and audio devices to see if their current drivers support Vista or they are in the Vista box or they have plans to support it soon.

- Newc

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim View Post
                          It's pretty steep. It's a free download.
                          I was a Cool Edit guy forever.
                          Going from 6.0 to 6.01 was my first time updating a Cakewalk product.
                          For some reason I though point upgrades (6.0 to 6.1 or 6.2) cost more $$$.
                          Will donwload 6.2 when I get home tonight.
                          -Rick

Comment

Some older games don't recognize higher versions of DirectX.
                            Not a Windows problem. Bad programming on the game creators part.
                            I've been running the release verison of Vista Ultimate for a month now and it works great. No issues with any of my games or recording software.
                            Now, I take it DirectX should be supposed to be downward compatible...

Comment

It is, however most games that would fail will do so because they look for a specific version... not a minimum version. That is crappy programming.
                              -Rick

Comment

Working...
                              X