PC experts - recommend software to keep PC safe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC experts - recommend software to keep PC safe

I'm in cleanup mode on my laptop and I'm a little behind on new software/freeware utilities to keep the PC optimized, clean, and safe.
    Right now I've got Norton AV (it's always updated), and I'll occassionally run Spybot and Ad-aware 6. Any good registry cleaner downloads or anything else you'd recommend?

- Joel
    RIP Donny Swanstrom...JCF bro
    RIP Dime

I'm no expert, Joel, but from reading what others here said about the free AVG products, I tried them & think they're great. The AVG Anti-Spyware caught a few things that got by Windows Defender, Ad-Aware, & Spybot.

Get Windows antivirus for PC & laptop: block viruses & protect against malware. Download AVG AntiVirus Free, now!

Comment

The trinity of Spywareblaster, SpyBot S&D, and AdAware have kept me going strong for the past two-three years or so. Updated, of course, but no major bonks have slipped past all three.

And I'm always online.

I use Symantec (sp?) corporate for AV, but know folks who swear by AVG.

My cent's worth.
      Keith
      The JCF-er Formerly Known as axtogrind.

myspace.com/boogieblockmusic

Comment

I use Panda ...pandasoftware.com

I used the free crap too but when I discovered panda and scanned it found spyware that a freeware CO had placed so I dont do free no more...I guess the best thing to do is scan with as many as you can because im sure even the best misses certian spyware.... Panda for me though

Comment

www.ccleaner.com
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I think a good reg cleaner is CCleaner (crap cleaner).

And X-Setup Pro is a must!!!

Comment

For what you want.. CCleaner is likely the best option. I've come to really like it, but you have to choose carefully otherwise you could possibly delete desired things on your system also.
              Toe always recommended it and I finally got past the skeptic in me.
              Watch the download tho.. it updates itself every few weeks or so and it'll give you an option to install the google or yahoo toolbar.. which, if you want that its fine.. otherwise you have to choose custom and filter it out of the setup.

Comment

Originally posted by yard dawg View Post
                I use Panda ...pandasoftware.com

I used the free crap too but when I discovered panda and scanned it found spyware that a freeware CO had placed so I dont do free no more...I guess the best thing to do is scan with as many as you can because im sure even the best misses certian spyware.... Panda for me though
                I used Panda a year ago, uninstalled after I saw how much RAM it was using up. Don't get me wrong, it's a great Virus Scanner, but god, the RAM usage was ridiculous.

Personally, I use AVG, Spybot, CCleaner, and of course, Firefox.

Comment

Originally posted by Kii View Post

Personally, I use AVG, Spybot, CCleaner, and of course, Firefox.

I used to use Panda too..as well as Norton..they are resource hogs but I finally went another route without having rely upon using the free online scans just to check.
                  I also use AVG, ZA, Spybot, CCleaner and Firefox.. tho, sometimes it seems Firefox can't always be recognized the same as MSN for some applications.

Depends on your processor and setup for speed... AVG can use alot of resource its scan mode too, but, you can still surf while its in scan.
                  I occasionally use Adware and another program called SmartCOP which will sometimes recognize 'safe' things as a virus.. so, you have to use your judgement before you go and delete anything as with any type of cleaner or scanner.
                  Last edited by charvelguy; 02-04-2007, 04:05 PM. Reason: typos

Comment

OK. So far so good.

Time for me to come out from under cover.
                    I run my own computer repair/graphic design/
                    consulting business....full-time.

There is a chink (or two) in your armor.

Chink 1:
                    Do you have a real firewall (hardware or software)?
                    ...or just the POS that comes with WinXP (or are you
                    using another version of the W32 OS?)

Chink 2:
                    Norton is pretty much useless against trojans, esp.
                    the latest crop of downloaders.
                    Trojans can also take out Ad-Aware & Spybot, they'll freeze
                    or crash the machine.

There are a couple of programs to help.

If you have no firewall, download the free version of ZoneAlarm
                    and install it and use it instead of the Windows firewall. NOT
                    as good a hardware router's firewalll but it kicks WinXp's firewall's ass.

So far as trojans are concerned: There's a great free antitrojanprogram
                    I use for myself and my clients called A2 (A-squared)
                    It's register-ware but registration is free.
                    It's available here: http://www.emsisoft.com/en/

As a last resort you can download the best trojan-killer
                    and it will work full-version mode for 30 days. enough
                    to clean you machine...so don't use it 'til you need it
                    It's called Trojan Hunter
                    and it's available here:www.misec.net/

There's another program called TDS3 (also commercial)
                    but it's a PITA to use.

Everybody should have A2.

I also run a freeware site.

Best Regards,

Son Of Spy

Last edited by sonofspy; 02-04-2007, 04:14 PM. Reason: typos
                    1976 Gibson Mk53
                    1988 Charvel Model 3
                    1993 Jackson Dinky Reverse (DR5)

Questions are a burden to others; answers are a prison for oneself.

Comment

"or are you
                      using another version of the W32 OS?)"

Windows XP (And Vista) are the only true 32 bit Windows OS ever released.

Want to protect yourself from viruses, and trojans, and have a sense of security...
                      Use a non-Windows OS.

Comment

I'll just copy my post from another board I frequent

All the programs I list below, with the exception of Registry Doctor are FREE

Do you know what to do?

Download and run AVG antivirus, Spybot S&D, then Adaware...

Get Windows antivirus for PC & laptop: block viruses & protect against malware. Download AVG AntiVirus Free, now!

Spybot offers a unique technology for your security. Far beyond antivirus Spybot searches and destroys unwanted software and protects your privacy.

Adaware ist das führende Programm für Sicherheit und Datenschutz im Internet. Wir bieten einfache, benutzerfreundliche Lösungen für ein sorgenfreies Online-Erlebnis. Bleiben Sie in Verbindung.

If it tells you that you have a worm, trojan or virus, and fixes the problem, you're done. If the problem isn't handled by these programs, or if it comes back after the next reboot, search google to find the removal instructions...

IF those don't find or fix the problem...

Advanced malware scanning:

EDIT: At this point, run a registry diagnostic/repair program. I've found Registry Doctor to be by far the best, but also use Ccleaner. If you don't have one or don't want to pay for one, then you can skip this step...

Do a cleanup:
                        http://www.stevengould.org/software/cleanup/index.html cleanup!

Run Hijack this and check for discrepancies:

Run Rootkit Revealer (which was recently purchased by microsoft... ugh ):

And between the Hijack this log and the rootkit revealer, you should be able to find any hidden malware and figure out what it is.... stuff at this level can be difficult to determine, even though you can see that something is there, finding out what it is and how to remove it can be very difficult.

At this point, it would be a good idea to back up your main system drive and then defragment your drives. Burn all essential documents to a DVD or CD and then follow the steps I outlined above.

It shouldn't take more than two hours to download and run everything. Run the virus scan and advertisement/malicious software scanners first. 95% or more of stuff will be caught with the combination of the three that I mention. Any of them should be able to tell if you are infected, though may not be able to clean some of the more pesky malware.

If the malware is detected and removed and comes back after the next reboot, or nothing is detected and you still have noticeable problems, go onto my second set of instructions.

Clean your system with CleanUp! and then run HijackThis! CleanUp will remove a bunch of junk that HijackThis! might notice making it easier to read the Hijack log. Run Rootkit Revealer. Whatever you have WILL be detected at this point, but may not be directly identifiable.

There are other tools available to detect programs, and some of them work just fine. Use your own judgement. I've listed what are generally considered the best products, and best of all they're free. I do have a repair CD that I've created, but many of the applications I haven't mentioned are purely for checking diagnostic and modifying systemic functions, and won't really help do much, but could easily make your system unstable, so I won't mention them.

BTW, Norton, McAfee and a bunch of other 'bundled' system tools are relatively worthless when it comes to more advanced malicious software.

If you need help feel free to PM me at any time and I'll get back to you ASAP.

After you've cleaned your system of malware, I would highly suggest purchasing a drive imaging program like Norton Ghost, Acronis True Image or some other backup software, use or buy a second internal drive to use as the host for the backup (and any other essential files on your main system C: drive) and an external drive. Have it set to do an automatic full system (c) drive backup once a week. Every month or so back that copy to an external.

Yes, I follow all my advice to the letter and provide support to others.
                        The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Originally posted by xenophobe View Post
                          I'll just copy my post from another board I frequent

All the programs I list below, with the exception of Registry Doctor are FREE

Do you know what to do?

Download and run AVG antivirus, Spybot S&D, then Adaware...

Spybot offers a unique technology for your security. Far beyond antivirus Spybot searches and destroys unwanted software and protects your privacy.

Adaware ist das führende Programm für Sicherheit und Datenschutz im Internet. Wir bieten einfache, benutzerfreundliche Lösungen für ein sorgenfreies Online-Erlebnis. Bleiben Sie in Verbindung.

Those are the three we use all the time and rarely have problems. I used to swear byNorton but lately I have seen it cause too many problems.

Comment

They've always worked for me.... Anything that they wouldn't find, their competition wouldn't either, only the advanced stuff would.

One product I didn't mention, Microsoft Defender, is supposed to be pretty solid as well and will either detect rootkit software, or will have it incorporated into it at a later point...
                            The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

WOW! Lot's of great info guys, I knew you guys would be able to help. Thanks everyone! I've got some downloading to do!

- Joel
                              RIP Donny Swanstrom...JCF bro
                              RIP Dime

Comment

Working...
                              X