Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by St.James View Post
    Once again I agree with Matt
    Crap, people are agreeing with me again. There must be something wrong there

Comment

Originally posted by St.James View Post
      Once again I agree with Matt, "Stop living in the past"...

Let me explain what I mean with this so people can hopefully get off their little civil rights soapbox.

I'm sick of hearing "the first black", the first african-American" to do this or that. The first to do something that's been done many times before by other men or women of all other races.

It couldn't have been left at a good coach or a good man winning a game, it had to be about race and that's ridiculous.

The guy coached a team that won the super bowl. Great, I'm happy for him and his team. Not because he's black, because he obviously worked hard to achieve it. There was some great playing, as I've already established.

All I'm saying is, with all this civil rights, equal rights, racism and so on, why can't it be left at a man or woman did something? Why does it have to be about race?
      You're right it has nothing to do with civil rights, equal rights, racism...it's whether you think it's proper for someone to feel pride to be the first of their race to do something. So you think it's wrong that people honor Jackie Robinson or Thurgood Marshall for being the first black to do such and such?

That's just weird, but hey if you need to be angry about something go for it.

BTW, you might want to conserve your anger as there are, believe it or not, people who look with pride on everything from the 1st Irishman to summit Everest to the 1st Polish pope to even the 1st Indian American to represent the US in the Olympics. Oh, the humanity!
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

He has every right to be proud of it because he is black, but I think the big picture here is that he coached at team to the top and won the big one. I really don't think color had anything to do with it.

Comment

I think that was more or less a bonus to prove that a black can do it and it's not just a white man's sport.
          My Main Rig:
          '87 Charvel Model 4A
          Peavey KB100 amp
          Ibanez SM7 Smashbox

Others:
          '92 Gibson Les Paul Custom
          '05 Ibanez RG320FM
          '86 Ovation Pinnacle
          '98 Synsonics Custom Strat
          '89 Kramer 700ST Bass

Comment

This whole "Thing" has nothing to do with fact that a good coach fielded a good team and they won. All the "cards" were laid on the table years ago. It's just hype to make "The Game" more interesting. If you include Prince .........
            I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Originally posted by OnlineStageGear View Post
              He has every right to be proud of it because he is black, but I think the big picture here is that he coached at team to the top and won the big one. I really don't think color had anything to do with it.
              I agree, color had nothing to do with the Colts winning. I'm just curious as to why people begrudge Dungy the right to feel proud of what he's done measured against a yardstick of his choosing. Not relevant to you? Fine, move along.

Comment

I think both coaches we forced by the media to play this up. I have to believe both of them know who they are. I think they were embarassed that all the "Hype" took away from their coaching abilities. If I were Tony, I would say: "Thanks guys for winning the game." If I were Lovie (sp), I would say, "We need a new QB."

Comment

It's your own damn fault for not switching the channel as soon as the game ended....lol...
                  750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
                  Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

Originally posted by nor View Post
                    It's your own damn fault for not switching the channel as soon as the game ended....lol...
                    If you are talking to me, this is how I watched the SB. I saw the last 30 seconds of Billy; watched the first half; watched a little of the Halftime Report; watched 2 minutes of Prince and changed the channel and watched Monster Trucks. I watched the second half and then the presentation. And then, I turned off the TV. I hate "Hype".

Comment

Me too - TiVo has changed football for me. I watch the first ten minutes or so, go jam for about 30 min, come back and watch the actual game. No commercials, no endless wave of useless stats, no gratuitous celeb cameos, no between play chatter. Repeat for halftime and the second half.

750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
                      Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

Originally posted by SeventhSon View Post
                        Then you don't know your history of the NFL.

The point is that it's much better now because many people in the past recognized that there was discrimination in many areas of the NFL. Moreover, it didn't correct itself without certain people fighting very hard against the status quo.

This is a picture of who I watched it with for the most part different night but these are close friends

Lets say I know three guys in the picture who were offended by the constant mentioning on them being black coaches. While indeed it is an accomplishment the commericials were overboard and amazingly sad IMHO. The subject of racism is very very very touchy but this wasn' the first Black coach in the NFL which was huge. This wasn't like The Charlotte Hornets being owned by by a black man. This was coincidence and it was exploited.

I keep the bible in a pool of blood
                        So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

our best friends are a mixed couple...black husband, white wife, 3 kids. the wife was disowned by her parents because of the marriage. so i have to laugh when people ask me to stop "living in the past" as if racism no longer exists in america or in many of its institutions.

regardless, i agree that the commercials were over the top and very uncomfortable to sit through.

Comment

Working...
                          X