Life after guitar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Life after guitar

Hey, as some of you know, (mainly those who bought some of my guitars I had for sale here recently) In October I was misdiagnosed with tendonitis which is actually a problem with the ulnar nerve in my left arm/hand. Anyway after dying (either myself or someone close to me) Or some kind of debilitating illness, not being able to play has always been my greatest fear. Anyway I had to give in due to this problem and stop playing. After feeling sorry for myself for a couple months and realising that it's not the end of the world, and also knowing much worse things happen to people I started looking for options. Playing for 30 years and then not being able to play at all was making me crazy (literally). Anyway my 13 year old daughter has a drum kit set up at the house and I decided to see if my hand could deal with drumming. Anyway I've become obsessed with drumming. Not only is it not bugging the hand I think it's helping actually. So I bought a killer kit with the money from 3 guitars and an amp and am practicing anywhere from 1-5 hrs. a day. I feel like a kid. Since it's all new you basically can really learn new stuff eveytime you sit down to practice. So I'm trying to get my chops up so I can re record all the drum tracks to my songs with real drums.
    So anyway drumming has restored my sanity for the time being and after not playing guitar for 4 months I've started up again taking it slowly and it's starting to look like that may come back as well hopefully. (Glad I didn't sell off all my gear)
    http://www.myspace.com/chriswestfallguitar

Glad you have found some sanity and have found a new musical outlet. I would have gone a little crazy to. congrats!
    Just one more guitar!

Comment

I didn't know about the ulnar nerve...Very sorry to hear that...You are a top player...Damn! Great tunes...Great playing...great tone!

Very cool about the drums though! I bet you will kick ass on them too!

Here is to beating the odds and fully recovering to reign as both a guitar and a drum GOD!!!
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

Very cool inspiring story and I'm glad that it (drums) has helped you.
        Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

Originally posted by blindmuddy View Post
          Hey, as some of you know, (mainly those who bought some of my guitars I had for sale here recently) In October I was misdiagnosed with tendonitis which is actually a problem with the ulnar nerve in my left arm/hand. Anyway after dying (either myself or someone close to me) Or some kind of debilitating illness, not being able to play has always been my greatest fear. Anyway I had to give in due to this problem and stop playing. After feeling sorry for myself for a couple months and realising that it's not the end of the world, and also knowing much worse things happen to people I started looking for options. Playing for 30 years and then not being able to play at all was making me crazy (literally). Anyway my 13 year old daughter has a drum kit set up at the house and I decided to see if my hand could deal with drumming. Anyway I've become obsessed with drumming. Not only is it not bugging the hand I think it's helping actually. So I bought a killer kit with the money from 3 guitars and an amp and am practicing anywhere from 1-5 hrs. a day. I feel like a kid. Since it's all new you basically can really learn new stuff eveytime you sit down to practice. So I'm trying to get my chops up so I can re record all the drum tracks to my songs with real drums.
          So anyway drumming has restored my sanity for the time being and after not playing guitar for 4 months I've started up again taking it slowly and it's starting to look like that may come back as well hopefully. (Glad I didn't sell off all my gear)
          Sounds like you have a cubital tunnel problem? They can do surgery on that, just like carpal tunnel, about th esame recovery time. It shouldnt make you give up playing guitar?
          Its a complete catastrophe. But Im a professional, I can rise above it. LOL

Comment

That's great news!
            Popular is not the same as good
            Rare is not the same as valuable
            Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Thanks for the words and yeah it is the cubital tunnel. After the nerve conduction tests the doc's saying he thinks it's more of an irritation and is trying me on neurontin at the moment. It has gotten somewhat better although honestly it seems like the improvement is more due to not playing than anything else. A big part of the problem is due to the fact that the ulnar nerve runs throught the "funny bone" part of your elbow which I pretty much tore up years ago in a downhill mountain bike race. I brke my elbow and tore the tendon so the nerve is running through a bunch of scar tissue there.
              Chris
              http://www.myspace.com/chriswestfallguitar

Comment

Awesome news bud! I hope you not only become a killer drummer but also get your playing ability back. Best of Luck Bro

Comment

Originally posted by quakana View Post
                  Awesome news bud! I hope you not only become a killer drummer but also get your playing ability back. Best of Luck Bro
                  +1 rock on man

Comment

Originally posted by blindmuddy View Post
                    Thanks for the words and yeah it is the cubital tunnel. After the nerve conduction tests the doc's saying he thinks it's more of an irritation and is trying me on neurontin at the moment. It has gotten somewhat better although honestly it seems like the improvement is more due to not playing than anything else. A big part of the problem is due to the fact that the ulnar nerve runs throught the "funny bone" part of your elbow which I pretty much tore up years ago in a downhill mountain bike race. I brke my elbow and tore the tendon so the nerve is running through a bunch of scar tissue there.
                    Chris
                    oh, i see. then you may have some more serious problems going on. I didnt know you broke your elbow. There still should be something else you can do. Neurontin is an anti-inflammatory? Changing your posture, playing position, or just not playing as much would all help. I personally would do ANYTHING i needed to do to rectify the situation, other than quitting guitar. Its one of the only things that keeps me sane.
                    Its a complete catastrophe. But Im a professional, I can rise above it. LOL

Comment

that's great news, Chris. Well done getting on with things and picking up a new instrument. I'm still wowed by the mp3s you posted years ago and it would be a shame to think you'd had to give up music altogether.

Besides, it would be way cool to have real drums on something like Diggin Taters.
                      Hail yesterday

Comment

Good to hear things are going well. Hope you get a full recovery.
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

That's awesome that you are the road to recovery. I didn't know you were having problems with your hand. I do however remember some of your playing posts and you could kick some ass on the guitar.

Take it slow and don't push too hard. Just like any injury, working your hands and wrists slowly is probably the best way to heal your injury as long as you don't push it.

Drums are challenging for sure. Everybody rips on drummers, but I'm convinced that doing it well takes some kind of super human dexterity or something. I have a hard time making my kick do something different that what I'm playing on the hi-hat

Good luck!

Comment

Sorry to hear about your nerve. I love drums, although I could never coordinate my hands and feet. If this would have happend to me my first thought would have been to play slide on a strat with a P-90 through a Marshall or Boogie. Is something like this an option for you? I am just curious.

Comment

I'm glad to hear things are looking better for you! I've thought about picking up a small 5-7 piece kit myself, but I have absolutely no room for it right now. I hope you are able to pick up the axe and start shredding again....you're an amazing player!

- Joel
                              RIP Donny Swanstrom...JCF bro
                              RIP Dime

Comment

Working...
                              X