Sinus surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sinus surgery

Anyone here have sinus surgery? I just got a CAT scan back and was told I have polys and need to schedule sinus surgery, which will be on the 27th.

I don't know crap about it and was wondering if any of you's guys went thru it.

If you did, how long of a recovery period?
    Occupation: Department Director for the Department of Redundancy Department

I had mine done a WHILE back - broke my nose (3 times), and the bone grew into the sinus cavity, totally blocking it off, so it was needed. While they were in, they fixed a deviated septum, and rebuilt the turbinates. Wish they took the bump out as well! lol
    3.5 hrs on the table, and I puked my brains out when I got home (lots of blood in my stomach), but that is cause I told them to put me TOTALLY out, not in Twilight sleep like they suggested.
    It was oputpatient, but actual recovery (nose feeling normal) took a LONG time, but I had some major reconstruction done.
    On follow-ups, they found some polyps forming, but clipped tpose out and cauterized.. no real issues with those..
    Goo dluck!

Comment

Damn, I'm glad I ate before clicking on this thread!
      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

My mother had that done, she was very happy but they came back rather quickly. I'm thinking less than 2 years.
        1+2 = McGuirk, 2+4 = She's hot, 6-4 = Happy McGuirk

Comment

Wow, a guy at work just had this done like 2 weeks ago...He is back already. The operation was a bit more extensive than they originally thought it would be, but he was only out of work 5 or 6 days total. (I think the original estimate was a weekend and a workday for a total of three days)

He said the worst part was having to be in an upright position for 24hr days for several days straight...Had something to do with drainage

However, this guy was so prone to sinus infections that he feels the operation was a small price to pay to not be stuffed-up and miserable all of the time.

He is a really grumpy S.O.B so I hope this makes him a little better to work with, lol! I am serious...a real prick!

Best of luck with yours Don!

Dan

Comment

Oh - that would have been good info.. I had the surgery Fri, was back at work Tues. Just have to be careful of the occasional unplanned leakage if you sit at a desk and look down....
            Took MONTHS for the sensitivity in the nose to subside, but man, when they take that packing out (less than a week I think), and you get the 1st whiff of fresh air, it is orgasmic
            And yep - sleeping propped up sucks !@

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
              Damn, I'm glad I ate before clicking on this thread!
              Well, it says "surgery" in the title - what'd you expect!

Comment

My mom had it done about 2 years ago and she said the first 4 or 5 days were rough,but still thinks that it was worth it,not near the problems she had before.Good luck!...
                Straightjacket Memories.Sedative Highs...........

Comment

You should be out for a week at most. Fair warning. Hold on when they pull the packing out!

Comment

+1 on the packing. After they hit the 25-30 ft mark on the packing you start to realize the front of your head really is hollow. It is a relief to get it out though.
                    Remember, Wherever you go,.. there you are

Comment

i was born with sinus issues. they're supposed to shrink as you age but mine just got bigger. i've been in constant pain for 17 years and the only reason i've done nothing is because doctors just fobbed me off left, right and centre. i live with it because i can't be arsed to piss about.
                      Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
                        You should be out for a week at most. Fair warning. Hold on when they pull the packing out!
                        Soooooo true. Soooooooo true. Beware the evil nose-gause, it is NO joke.
                        Strat God Music
                        http://www.esnips.com/web/Strat-God-Music/?flush=1

Comment

You guys are great. A lot of good info. You made me laugh and at the same time got me a little worried . I chose to do it quickly cause my heads been feeling pressured and I think it has something to do with some headaches, dizziness and blurred vision. A real pain in the ass.

..........................what packing? And what about this 25-30 ft shit. You pulling my leg???????????

As for upright sleeping. We got a new recliner, so it shouldn't be that bad........................I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Strat God View Post
                            Soooooo true. Soooooooo true. Beware the evil nose-gause, it is NO joke.

You're scaring me.......................

Comment

Nah man - it's like ripping a bandaid off.. but on the inside, behind your eyes! Not the worst pain I've ever had in my life, but not the most pleasant experience either.
                              And yep - they put rolls of gauze up there to absorb all the fluid... you will not believe how much of that stuff comes out of your face! Picture like 2-3 balled up socks or 2-3 ACE bandages of gauze! They kind of wrap it into finger sized bundles, but when they pull it out, it can unravel - or they have to pull it apart due to the "crust"
                              And then a few days later - the lovely "blob" scab... it feels and looks like a piece of liver or the blob from the old movies. You can't blow out of your nose for a while, so you have to suck back like runny nose. And at one point within a week or so (twice with me actually) a "blob" of blood/tissue comes out. It is nasty - like hardened Jello (but painless).
                              They'll probably have you on nose drops (medicated or steroid spray) for a week or 2 to keep the swelling down and keep it moist - after that just saline for a few weeks (Na-Sal or other non medicated)

Do the surgery - i have no regrets
                              Last edited by Wayniac; 02-19-2007, 02:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X