Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

i thought mennonites didn't use modern stuff?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i thought mennonites didn't use modern stuff?

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/03/02/bus...ent/index.html

The toledo mennonite college bus crash here?

I visited missouri and the mennonites drove buggies like the quakers. Now they have a college ball team and ride buses?

I thought it was unusual that the mennonite place in missouri had houses off the grid, manual sawmills and ran gas lamps instead of electricity, but had a natural gas refrigerator, casio solar calculator and battery/solar alarm system on their store.
    also they sold a lot of chnese made products in their store.

So are these guys anti-tech or just off the grid?
    When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

I don't know about the mennonites at all but if they are anti-electricity, how do they light the gym to play basketball? Candles? Millions of 'em???

(Had to edit because I posted before reading the whole article, thus looking like an idiot... Business as usual...)
    Last edited by Bengal; 03-02-2007, 09:04 AM.
    I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

this is bad, so i shouldn't say it, I tend to laugh at tragedy as a form of denial.

Maybe their headlights blew out?
      When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

The Mennonites here are hard to tell from anyone else, except a lot of the women wear very conservative clothes like gray dresses & sometimes scarves. When I used to lifeguard at the oceanfront, sometimes they would come very early before the crowds & go for a swim, and the ladies just went right in the water wearing their gray dresses. Nice friendly folks. My former boss' daughter went to Eastern Mennonite University for a year, but transferred. Too conservative for her, but they had as much technology as any other school. Kids all had laptops, wireless network on campus, etc., and a basketball team.

-edit- just heard about the crash. Very sad.

Comment

There were a lot of mennonites where I grew up in MO, they had power in their houses and drove basic black cars and trucks with no radios, guys wore overalls and light blue work shirts, and big hats, the women, bonnets and granny dresses
          Last edited by FusionFarmer; 03-02-2007, 09:26 AM.
          I say the boy ain't right!

Comment

Minialist/pacifists I guess. Learn something every day.

Comment

I was down around that area this morning-(before the accident)-in order for that to happen you get off the ramp make a hard left and drive off the bridge through the safety fence. Something or somebody made that driver to hang a hard left and drive off that bridge... I have to work tonight in Atlanta and traffic is going to be a bitch!! But it still doesn't matter for the fact of the students who lost their lives because of this.

Comment

You are confusing them with the Amish Mennonites cna use technology.

Comment

CharvelRocker is correct

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mennonite

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amish
                  "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Working...
                  X