While my ...uke?.... gently weeps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• While my ...uke?.... gently weeps

apologies if this has been posted before....

YouTubeilicious link
    Hail yesterday

shit, and here he is again with Tommy E

Hail yesterday

Comment

Wow. That song is hard to play on guitar much less a Ukelele

Comment

Both of those guys are awesome.
        Scott
        Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

That is just beautiful playing.

Comment

Search function reveals

"Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

shush you!!! lol

Comment

Does this stuff honestly surprise anyone anymore? I mean, yeah it's good, but really, musical ability is like driving a car these days - practice enough and anything's possible. It's not like a deaf 5 month old playing Chopin, so where's the "wow" factor coming from?
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Been there, done that, eh Newc...? Or did you step in a dog poop this morning?

No, I'm not surprised by this stuff either, but I still very much appreciate listening to skilled musicians like these two. It sounded good!
                  Henrik
                  AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Originally posted by jackson1 View Post
                    Been there, done that, eh Newc...? Or did you step in a dog poop this morning?
                    No, but it's just so commonplace these days. Show me someone doing flawless scalar patterns with their feet, maybe I'll be impressed.
                    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

Yo Newclehead. WTF? Dude, what those guys can do is not commonplace. There are so few people that can play at that level it's unreal. Those folks on Youtube that can play Yngwie tunes note for note from a tab book are nowhere near this level. Jake and Tommy Emanuel are taking their instruments to new places.

Please show me evidence that this level of playing is commonplace. I call bullshit.
                      I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Newclehead
                        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
                          Beat ya with a pre-emptive:

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
                          apologies if this has been posted before....

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                          Does this stuff honestly surprise anyone anymore? I mean, yeah it's good, but really, musical ability is like driving a car these days - practice enough and anything's possible. It's not like a deaf 5 month old playing Chopin, so where's the "wow" factor coming from?
                          I wasn't looking for the wow factor. I just thought it was cool. Cool isn't necessarily about how many hours you've practiced. I thought it would be cool if you were wandering about Central Park one afternoon and stumbled upon this guy wailling away on his uke. And then when I saw that he had joined Tommy Emmanuel on an Aussie breakfast show, I thought that was cool too

Your analogy equating music to driving a car is apt - almost anyone can drive a car, and almost anyone can make music. But some people are just so damn good at driving a car, they are impressive. And some people can't reverse out their driveway.
                          Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim View Post
                            Yo Newclehead. WTF? Dude, what those guys can do is not commonplace. There are so few people that can play at that level it's unreal. Those folks on Youtube that can play Yngwie tunes note for note from a tab book are nowhere near this level. Jake and Tommy Emanuel are taking their instruments to new places.

Please show me evidence that this level of playing is commonplace. I call bullshit.
                            Apparently all you have to do is search YouTube to find it. Of course it also depends on how you define "commonplace". While it's not "one in three" it's certainly more frequent than "one in a million" like it used to be.

With the availability of instructional materials and the number of people taking advantage of those materials, both as printed materials and personal lessons, I'd say it's safe to call this level of ability commonplace compared to 10 years ago.

While there is a measurable abundance of talented players, that doesn't mean there's a measurable abundance of inspirational players - people like EVH, Vai, Page, etc etc - and that's what makes the biggest difference.
                            Anyone here feel inspired to take up the uke after seeing these two?

Didn't think so.
                            Last edited by Newc; 03-03-2007, 07:23 PM.

Comment

Maybe it's just my lack of exposure to acoustic music in general... but I think those 2 gentlemen certainly qualify as being "inspirational" rather than merely just "technically good".

Does Jake Shimabukuro inspires me to take up the Ukulele? Why yes. The first thing I did after watching the "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" clip is to Google for Jake tabs and thinking of the best places in town to buy a ukulele.

And Tommy Emmanuel has been very inspirational for me on the acoustic guitar front too.

Forgive me if I am putting words into your mouth, but if only the most awe-inspiring / ground-breaking / innovative clips are worthy of being mentioned or shared on the net (which is what you seem to be saying, I don't know if that's what you actually want to say), then by that reasoning we shouldn't even mention guys like EVH / Vai / Page anymore, because they are yesterday's news, and I am sure lots of people on this board can play better than EVH and Page now.

Now, I have the utmost respect for what guys like EVH / Vai / Page did... I am just saying that THAT is the logical extrapolation of what you said... which makes me think that that may not be entirely what you meant to say....

Not trying to be antagonistic, just trying to understand where this sudden outburst of negativity comes from.

Comment

Working...
                              X