While my ...uke?.... gently weeps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Newc View Post
    Anyone here feel inspired to take up the uke after seeing these two?
    Actually, after the first time I saw this video I went right to Ebay to see what a good uke would cost

Besides, that's missing the point. Just because I don't rush out to learn how to play the uke doesn't me he isn't an inspiring player. I already play several instruments and really suck at them - taking on another one to suck at doesn't seem sensible right now. I guarantee you that Jake did inspire plenty of people to try the uke. Oh and Tommy Emanuel has absolutely inspired me to try some new things on the guitar.

You are equating these two guys to people that have burned through Internet instructional material? These two guys are so far beyond that it's unbelievable - they've developed completely unique styles and play with great feel, sense of melody, and they are taking their instruments to new places. That is nothing like learning every Yngwie solo note for note from a tab book.

I'm still waiting for those clips of similarly unique and capable players Newc.
    I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Newc worries me.
      Scott
      Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
        Apparently all you have to do is search YouTube to find it. Of course it also depends on how you define "commonplace". While it's not "one in three" it's certainly more frequent than "one in a million" like it used to be.

With the availability of instructional materials and the number of people taking advantage of those materials, both as printed materials and personal lessons, I'd say it's safe to call this level of ability commonplace compared to 10 years ago.

While there is a measurable abundance of talented players, that doesn't mean there's a measurable abundance of inspirational players - people like EVH, Vai, Page, etc etc - and that's what makes the biggest difference.
        Anyone here feel inspired to take up the uke after seeing these two?

Didn't think so.
        when i saw that video i was thinking i have to get a uke, and i wonder what tunings they are in, that guy completely transposed that song, he added his only little bells and whistles, he plays with a passion that comes from his heart, unlike that Chelsea girl who plays from a book(stab out in the dark). He might not be not vai or page but hell hes damn good to me. i can only imagine all those guys in Hawaii thinking that he's awesome.
        "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

Working...
        X