Never use rubbing alcohol to get rid of a autograph on your guitar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Never use rubbing alcohol to get rid of a autograph on your guitar

I think I used too much. It like smoothed out the wood or something in the area with the autograph. Oh well.

Its a Gibson Melody Maker.

pics?

Comment

Originally posted by ApeDosMil View Post

I think I used too much. It like smoothed out the wood or something in the area with the autograph. Oh well.

Its a Gibson Melody Maker.
      so you drink paint stripper?
      Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

it's not an old original one is it?

Comment

Originally posted by Outlander View Post
          it's not an old original one is it?
          Well it's not original any more if it was!
          Popular is not the same as good
          Rare is not the same as valuable
          Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

nah haha, it's a 2004 model.

Comment

Shoulda used naptha (lighter fluid) and some elbow grease - Gibson uses nitro lacquer on their guitars.

That being said, refinishing that area should be fairly easy. Assuming you didnt cut through to the color coat, you should be able to use rubbing compound and a finishing glaze (I prefer 3M products) to bring the finish back. If its worse, used a product called "blush out" (available at Stew Mac) and LIGHTLY spray it on the affected area - it should float the lacquer back to smooth and glossy. Heres the problem - you have to leave it alone for a good 2 to 3 weeks before you buff it out again.
              Crime doesn't pay. Neither does lutherie...

Comment

Originally posted by missionguitars1 View Post
                Shoulda used naptha (lighter fluid) and some elbow grease - Gibson uses nitro lacquer on their guitars.

That being said, refinishing that area should be fairly easy. Assuming you didnt cut through to the color coat, you should be able to use rubbing compound and a finishing glaze (I prefer 3M products) to bring the finish back. If its worse, used a product called "blush out" (available at Stew Mac) and LIGHTLY spray it on the affected area - it should float the lacquer back to smooth and glossy. Heres the problem - you have to leave it alone for a good 2 to 3 weeks before you buff it out again.
                Ya, I used 409 on a Gibby one time and it took hours to buff it out.

Comment

Dare I ask what signature was that bad you took rubbing alcohol to it?

Comment

Lighter fluid, baby. I am not sure whether I want to lose the stickers, but if I do I know what to use. I bought a real nice MIM Strat that some guy put about 150 glow in the dark little stars. Once I peeled them all off, lighter fliud did the trick getting it cleaned up.
                    I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

I used oops to take off stickers on a guitar. worked great.

Comment

Woohooo Dead Kennedys!!!
                        I have to do it
                        Cold Hollow Machinery

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll check out this stuff you recommended.

The guitar doesn't have any lacquer, its a Mahog. Gibson model.

Like this one.

Originally posted by missionguitars1 View Post

Comment

Originally posted by ApeDosMil View Post
                            The guitar doesn't have any lacquer, its a Mahog. Gibson model.
                            It should still be nitro on the guitar, just no grain filler under it (thus why the grain is showing). It's nitro all the same, though...
                            Crime doesn't pay. Neither does lutherie...

Comment

Fett what is that? Is that one of those rare "Digsby" vibratos on that guitar

Comment

Working...
                              X