Who owns an American made car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who owns an American made car?

I mean like Ford, GM or Mopar. Is our auto industry going the same way as US Steel? My heart goes out to Detroit, but we brought it on ourselves. Me. I own a 1989 Ford Aerostar. And when that breaks, I'll buy another one. Would I buy a new car? Not on you life. And I don't care where it was made or by whom. It's just not me.
    I am a true ass set to this board.

I own a 1996 Ford F250 and a 1997 Chevy Suburban.

The Ford is beat to death and has over 150k but still runs just fine. I just purchased the Suburban because I was starting to question the longevity of the Ford.
    The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

98 saturn SL2
      previous 95 saturn with 187,000 miles on it!
      previous to this
      82 reliant
      87 lasabre
      81 Z28 Camaro
      79 regal
      93 Cavalier
      (not in right order)
      American Made BABY! Only the cavalier was new

Comment

Originally posted by xenophobe View Post
        I own a 1996 Ford F250 and a 1997 Chevy Suburban.

The Ford is beat to death and has over 150k but still runs just fine. I just purchased the Suburban because I was starting to question the longevity of the Ford.
        That question is for any Ford. :-P

Comment

86 Jeep and a 89 LTD wagon. both in rough shape. rather push either one than buy an import. Also have an 86 ford van with 285k miles on it. still runs. Z-max is priceless!
          "tie two birds together and though they have four wings, they cannot fly"

Comment

I have a 96 Dodge Stratus =

See even my post count thinks american made cars are the devils work

Comment

Steel manufacturing in the US has taken a dive due in large to the low labor costs in foreign countries like China. If China, Japan, Korea and all of these other countries we are loosing our industry to would pay a fare wage to there people things would be different. US steel companies would be strong as would US auto manufactures. My dad would also not have to be worried about loosing his job of 35+ years because they are outsourcing the production of brake parts to China. Oh and to answer your question I own two Plymouth and before that I had three different Fords.

Comment

First car - '83 Pontiac Starfire GT
                Second car - '85 Daytona Turbo Z
                Third (current) car - 2002 Impala

The Impala was the first car I ever bought totally new (well, it was a demo with 7200 miles on it), and I did it all on my own - no co-sign, no money from parents - it's all MINE!
                And it's paid for

China has kept the US Steel mills running at capacity for a few years now with orders. I work in the metal stamping industry, and our prices for steel have gone up because China is buying so much steel. They're not making it as good as US mills, and they know it, so they're buying from Cargill and other mills over here. We've tried Chinese steel, and it sucks.

Of course we've got US steel lying around rusting that sucks too.
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

89 nitrous injected Ford Mustang. Some 500 hp.

97 GMC Yukon.

Love em both.

If the Yukon Died, I'd want another or maybe a Toyota Tundra.

The beloved Mustang is here till I wad it up on a pole or whatever.

Comment

I own a Toyota Tacoma. Aren't they made in America? I hear Toyota is making another factory in America.

Now I know what he meant. I just think it is funny that many American car or parts thereof are made overseas and many foreign cars are made in America.

Comment

I'm just wondering what it will take for us to buy cars that are Fords,etc. I have been around for a long time and I have seen our auto indusrty become mortibund (sp). Way back in 1976, I had to chance to buy stock in Honda. I just didn't think those guys over there had a chance to make a dent in our domestic market. Boy, was I wrong. I just wonder how our economy can survive when every country can beat us on cost and many times on quality. I wonder how and why we are not willing to build a house. I am wondering just how long we can live in a cubicle and expect everyone else to do it for us. Not every one of our kids will go to college. Where are they going to find a job? There is so much here. This is not political. This is our future.

Comment

75 Mustang II coupe W/factory V8( with some enhancements .. mine)
                        75 Mustang II couple W/ Gia package (Wifes)
                        81 Corvette
                        92 Mustang conv.
                        00 Cavalier
                        02 Dodge ram P.U.

so i guess that would be a yes

MOSH ON
                        DAVE
                        "It's because the speed of light is superior to the speed of sound that so many people look shiny before they actually sound stupid"

"All pleasure comes at someone Else's expense"

The internet is where, The men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

Comment

Kind of hard to define an "American made car" now, no? I mean, the import brands have manufacturing plants here. And the domestic brands make many models outside of the US. Not to mention taking into account where the parts are sourced from. And am I the only one that thinks Chrysler no longer quite fits the "domestic brand" definition, to begin with? (Sprekin ze deutche? )

BTW, my dad is a Ford retiree, so I have a strong predisposition to buy domestic. But what does that really mean anymore? I mean, I've owned a Mazda-sourced Ford Probe GT. Was that "American"? And I now own a Michigan-built Mazda 6. (Mazda is owned by Ford). Is that "American"?

Unless your choice is based on a simplistic "where do the profits ultimately go", this has become a very complicated issue.

Comment

Yeah, it's a small world, after all. How the fuck did we let this happen?

Comment

+1 shreddermon. I own an "american made" vehicle, i guess... an 03 nissan frontier. That being said, ive only owned one "domestic", and it was a camaro. (insert joke here< what a p.o.s.). I buy cars on reliability, period. and of the other cars ive owned, (corollas, celicas, camrys) ive never had one run less than 150k, never had one leave me stranded, and all i ever needed to do was change brakes/tires/oil. thats it.
                              Its a complete catastrophe. But Im a professional, I can rise above it. LOL

Comment

Working...
                              X