Take the Coca out of my Coke again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Take the Coca out of my Coke again

I heard this on MPR, Bolivia is all pissied off. They think that "coca" should be treated like a local name. It is their almost biggest crop. And they are proud of it. Like Shampain and all the other local names of homegrown shit that have gone worldwide. I guess they want to copyright it. I just thought that was funny as hell.
    I am a true ass set to this board.

Maybe they should just put the coke back in coke, actually I think they still use an alkyloid (not sure of the spelling but its closer than Shampain ) from the coca plant
    I say the boy ain't right!

Comment

Do I look or sound like a frog? So what do you have Coko Cola? That sounds like a gorilla act.

Comment

I get Champagne, it's a regional name and not just the name of the product. So a sparkling white wine produced in California, or Italy, or South Australia shouldnt call itself "champagne".

Are Bolivia going to crack down on any other country advertising that they grow coca? Are Peruvian's going to have to call their coca something else because it wasn't grown in Cocaland, Bolivia?
        Hail yesterday

Comment

You tell me? Do they make Coca Puffs in Bolivia?

Comment

They have Coco Crisp in Boston-lol, a cheaper version. You can find Coco Crisp in centerfield usually.
            Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

Well, at some point, they took the coke out of Coke.
              sigpic

Comment

and there was not much rejoicing.

Comment

So how is it with the rumour that there was cocaine in Coca Cola...? Is it true, or is it just a rumour? Last I heard, someone told me that it wasn't true at all...

Can anyone confirm that it's true?
                  https://www.facebook.com/cutupofficial

Comment

Originally posted by Anders View Post
                    So how is it with the rumour that there was cocaine in Coca Cola...? Is it true, or is it just a rumour? Last I heard, someone told me that it wasn't true at all...

Can anyone confirm that it's true?
                    From Wikipedia.org

The first recipe Coca-Cola was invented in Atlanta, Georgia, by John S. Pemberton, originally as a cocawine called Pemberton's French Wine Coca in 1885.He may have been inspired by the formidable success of European Angelo Mariani's cocawine, Vin Mariani.

In 1885, when Atlanta and Fulton County passed Prohibition legislation, Pemberton responded by developing Coca-Cola, essentially a carbonated, non-alcoholic version of French Wine Cola. The beverage was named Coca-Cola because, originally, the stimulant mixed in the beverage was coca leaves from South America. In addition, the drink was flavored using kola (Cola) nuts, the beverage's source of caffeine. Pemberton called for five ounces of coca leaf per gallon of syrup, a significant dose, whereas, in 1891, Candler claimed his formula (altered extensively from Pemberton's original) contained only a tenth of this amount. Coca-Cola did once contain an estimated nine milligrams of cocaine per glass but after 1903 Coca-Cola started using, instead of fresh leaves, "spent" leaves - the leftovers of the cocaine-extraction process with cocaine trace levels left over at a molecular level. However, as cocaine is one of numerous alkaloids present in the coca leaf, it was nevertheless present in the drink. Today, the flavoring is still done with kola nuts and the "spent" coca leaf.

Comment

Snopes has a whole page on Coke legends:

The definitive Internet reference source for researching urban legends, folklore, myths, rumors, and misinformation.

Includes a slightly longer article that basically says what Ace quoted (most likely because the info was obtained from snopes).
                      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Yeah, way back when there were all sorts of legal "tonics" that had coke in them. I saw it on the history channel. They have a whole series about drugs in america, how they got here, when and why they were outlawed. Very interesting.

Comment

:ROTF: You guys are killing me here:ROTF:
                          Cold Hollow Machinery

Comment

drugs are outlawed? Anyone ever see Tombstone? (of course you have, dumb question) wyatt's wife was always flying on "insta -opiate", the nutricious daily drink back then that came in bottles. Laudenen was the name of the stuff i think. when the girl comes to warn the Earp wives that something bad might happen, all of a sudden this guy appears at the door shooting up the place with bullets, and the only one not scared is wyatt's wife, she's like ," oh was that a mosquito"-lol

Comment

My one grandmother lived on that stuff. She was born in 1897 or thereabouts.

Comment

Working...
                              X