IT Guy's Worst Nightmare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PowerTube View Post
    The biggest problem with drive recovery is when the file allocation tables are gone. Sure, data will still be written to the platters, but good luck in making any sense of it.
    Ontrack (sp?) recovery software rebuilds the FAT by reading the disk. It works pretty good.

Hmmm...Alaska. The data was probably on a Windows 95 PC in an Excel spreadsheet:ROTF:

Comment

Lot more IT guys here than I thought
      Guitars:
      '04 Jackson SL1 - Flametop Cabo Blue Trans Burst
      '94 Charvel Predator - Fire Crackle
      '77 Ibanez LP Custom Copy - Black
      Amp:
      VOX AD30VT

Comment

And the only backup was the paperwork itself — stored in more than 300 cardboard boxes.

“We had to bring that paper back to the scanning room, and send it through again, and quality control it, and then you have to have a way to link that paper to that person’s file,” Skow said.

Half a dozen seasonal workers came back to assist the regular division staff, and about 70 people working overtime and weekends re-entered all the lost data by the end of August.

“They were just ready, willing and able to chip in and, in fact, we needed all of them to chip in to get all the paperwork rescanned in a timely manner so that we could meet our obligations to the public,” Skow said.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph E. View Post
          My bad, I thought the answer was "any Microsoft product".
          So if IT guys hate Microsoft so much, why in the hell do they buy so much of their stuff? And please don't give me the B.S. "because they have a monopoly" answer.

I'm talking about "IT" products like databases, email systems, network directories, web portals, etc. They do not have a monopoly on any of that stuff by a long stretch, and yet the IT folks are buying more and more from Microsoft.

So do you really hate the products they sell, or do you just enjoy bashing the big guy?

Just curious...

Comment

My bad, I thought the answer was "any Microsoft product".
            Well, we can't all be M.B.A.'s now can we?
            I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
              Ontrack (sp?) recovery software rebuilds the FAT by reading the disk. It works pretty good.

Hmmm...Alaska. The data was probably on a Windows 95 PC in an Excel spreadsheet:ROTF:
              Well, that's assuming it's a FAT formatted partition to begin with. Deleting a file on a FAT partition leaves all of the file contents intact so it's not a particularly impressive accomplishment. Once something is written to the disk again though you can be toast very quickly.

Recovering a file after a real disk format is *really* hard, particularly if the file system on the partition is something like NTFS or HPFS - it gets harder still if the files are encrypted.

At best they'd be able to hope for a partial recovery at this point. And I can't imagine anyone would want $38 billion dollar account being managed from a partially recovered file.

- Newc

Comment

Originally posted by Big D View Post
                So if IT guys hate Microsoft so much, why in the hell do they buy so much of their stuff? And please don't give me the B.S. "because they have a monopoly" answer.

I'm talking about "IT" products like databases, email systems, network directories, web portals, etc. They do not have a monopoly on any of that stuff by a long stretch, and yet the IT folks are buying more and more from Microsoft.

So do you really hate the products they sell, or do you just enjoy bashing the big guy?

Just curious...
                We use MS products because they work. They do exactly what we want them to do.
                I won't bash MS products any more than I would any other piece of software.
                I love and hate them all equally.
                I have yet to find the "perfect" piece of software.
                I have found some pretty damn good stuff though. Some of which was produced by Microsoft.
                -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by Deneb View Post
                  And the only backup was the paperwork itself — stored in more than 300 cardboard boxes.

“We had to bring that paper back to the scanning room, and send it through again, and quality control it, and then you have to have a way to link that paper to that person’s file,” Skow said.
                  Er, why did you quote a section of the article, and then say nothing?
                  "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

"Er, why did you quote a section of the article, and then say nothing?"
                    Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
                      Er, why did you quote a section of the article, and then say nothing?
                      Well, he could have wrote something dazzling like you did and still say nothing.

- Newc

Comment

As did you, Timmy m'boy

I asked Deneb a question....maybe he forgot to give his 2 cents?
                        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                          I've used them before and they were great but expensive.

I would be SO fired if that happened to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Big D View Post

Just curious...
                            Well, after 18 years in IT, my experience with Microso

Comment

Whoa. Sorry about that. Explorer just stopped responding for no reason. Had to kill the process and start over...

Now where was I... oh yeah, Microsoft.

Ya know what, nevermind. Not worth arguing over this. It's just like Ford vs. Chevy, Republican vs. Democrat. It's all just a waste of time.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go download Firefox, and then sacrifice a chicken in the hopes that when I turn on my 360 I don't get the 3 red rings of death (thanks to MS quality control, or lack of it).

Comment

Whoa. Sorry about that. Explorer just stopped responding for no reason. Had to kill the process and start over...

Now where was I... oh yeah, Microsoft.

Ya know what, nevermind. Not worth arguing over this. It's just like Ford vs. Chevy, Republican vs. Democrat. It's all just a waste of time.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go download Firefox, and then sacrifice a chicken in the hopes that when I turn on my 360 I don't get the 3 red rings of death (thanks to MS quality control, or lack of it).

Kahler or Floyd?
                                I wish my hair-color was EDS :/

Comment

Working...
                                X