lost my job...help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lost my job...help?

I have been out of work for nearly a month and have been on every job search site out there. i have submitted my resume to 150+ companies w/o response. money is getting tight. I am uncomfortable bringing my issue to the board but I am past pride at this point. I am in southwest florida. If anyone might be of assistance, I'd really appreciate it.
    If my post violates any site policy, shake a stern finger at me and I will humbly cease my endeavor.
    "tie two birds together and though they have four wings, they cannot fly"

Have they been only online submissions? If so, try pounding the pavement. Or try a temp agency depending on what you do. Contrary to what the Congressional majority might have you believe, there are jobs to be had. What field are you looking in?

Comment

Another sad example of the state of America today.

I'm in the same boat and I feel your pain.

Comment

I am being diverse in my search. Long story short, I am a math nerd. I spent alot of time installing carpet, wood and ceramic tile. was a good trade. 4 years ago , I got a job estimating for a flooring company. Reading blueprints, using digitizing software to calculate square feet/yards, setting up pricing structures, composing bid proposals, data entry stuff. I could easily estimate all phases of construction or change fields. Math is math. I could go into accounting, or any office atmosphere job as I have ample computor skills. The construction market here died. All trades were adversly affected. 1/3 of the local workforce is out of work, contrary to the unemployment statistics. I was pulling 40k a year. I cant live on McDonalds pay. I have no degree, there is no installation work, and to switch fields...I have no formal experience. I'm screwed!

Comment

i've been there - 8 months' worth. an experience i care not to repeat.
          Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

I'm in the same boat and I feel your pain.
            Thank you and good luck with the search.

Comment

Originally posted by MadJack View Post
              Thank you and good luck with the search.
              Jack,

Hang in there, think positive and tell everyone you come in contact with of your situation. There is bound to be someone who knows someone who could use a guy like you. Network my friend !!! Good luck !!! Start tomorrow and don't stop till you land something.

Comment

Math nerd huh? how about taking some classes in accounting and applying for a job? Some desperate employers might hire you just because you took a class in their field. I was at H&R block and there's a lot of employment there. have you tried consulting?
                Sam

Comment

I was out of work recently for 4 months. I did some freelance work and I used connections where I could. I did however find a job online. I am commuting into NYC now and it is taking me roughly another 3hrs round trip added to my old commute (I had a job in Jersey) but you do what you gotta do. On the ples side I really like the new place I am working for and I got a nice raise too. On the average it will probably take you 3 to 6 months to find a job according to Unemployment.

Keep your head up. I know how stressfull it is. Just stay as positive as you can, keep looking and don't stress out when you get an interview.

Comment

Thanks for the support. I have been losing some self esteem. I am signing up for accounting classes at Vo-Tech, trying to the system to foot the bill, Pell grants are up to $4300+, for $700 I can become a "certified bartender" (its work and tips could be good...I am charismatic...lol), I am exploring a few internet marketing affiliate programs(not holding my breath...or investing money), I may try massage therapy...guitarists have strong hands!,
                    hardest part is tapping into the adrenaline of being in panic mode without jumping blindly because im in panic mode
                    oh yeah...i may try teaching guitar. There are way better players but there is a market. two or three students a week is better money than zero!
                    "looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue"

Comment

I second the temp agency route; that has got me some really great jobs - they usually lead to full time permanent positions.
                      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Lots of people are in the same unfortunate situation. You could always look to convenience stores, might sound like an odd choice, but they're always looking for managers due to the high turnover. The big one around here, WAWA, trains their managers for free and pays $50k a year.

Competition for jobs is growing in all areas. Especially so in the tech industry where so many have been offshored, and whats worse is that the foreign replacements cant compete. I have a group of 10 people here that produce twice as much as their counterparts in India and they have 20 more people than I do. If their 30 people cost as much as my 10 people and produce 1/2 as much then why do I need them?

Anyway, good luck in your search man, have you considered moving? Have you tried any job conventions, they run every few months around here?

Later,

Steve
                        Guitars:
                        '04 Jackson SL1 - Flametop Cabo Blue Trans Burst
                        '94 Charvel Predator - Fire Crackle
                        '77 Ibanez LP Custom Copy - Black
                        Amp:
                        VOX AD30VT

Comment

MadJack - what part of the country are you in?
                          I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Southwest Florida, as he said in his first post, Eagle-Eye
                            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                              Southwest Florida, as he said in his first post, Eagle-Eye
                              I think it's safe to say HT's middle name ain't Sherlock...

Comment

Working...
                              X