So where are they hiding?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So where are they hiding?

Musicians that is. I search high and low, for guitar players, bassists and drummers. And the search still continues, its been hellish and frustrating! I just got off the phone with a guy who said we'd jam today to tell me he was up late and it would have to be later this evening. Which is fine, I know shit comes up. But his inconsistent replies, and lack of dedication totally contradicts what he said to begin with as in "looking for dedicated musicians, tired of duds".

And this isn't the first one, I jammed with a drummer who had no sense of time and after moving a couch to my apartment up 3 stories, carrying my Mesa rig down those 3 stories to cram it all down steps in his basement to see he has to hit a beat for every chug, every squeal I do and with lack of care to timing. Ahhhhh, he wonders why I didn't go back.

This is just horrible man, people in guitar stores who claim they are looking or always wanting to jam make no means to do it. Of course I've came across a couple of people who had too much on their plate it seemed to want to jump in on it. And then some people who loved what I was doing but said they just don't want to practice, once again...undedicated. Or maybe I'm just a prick?

I came out here to find folks to play with, and still no luck. Anybody else suffering from this? Or got some pretty good experiences, or hell words of advice?

+1

It`s hard to find drummers that are willing to play something else
    than Metallica and punk stuff...
    Cold Hollow Machinery

Comment

This dude sucked, period. Haha! It was the worst man, I did some thrasy alternate pickin and he just ahhh did double bass to try and match it. Then I broke down the progression and it was like no silence....no breaks just a clutter. And I was like, I dragged this shit down here....drove 20 miles...for this. Wow. Haha.

I've came across some folks who already had some stuff on their plate so I broke contact. Its basically just wishin people luck. But nobody just backs up their guns and really jumps out there. Ah how much of a dreamer I was to think this was gonna be easy.

Comment

This seems to be the classic struggle...it is hard to find capable musicians. When I was first starting to play in bands it was very difficult to find a complete band. There was always a weak link somewhere either musically or attitude wise. However, after a number of years it seemed that things fell into place fairly easily as I got to know the local scene. I guess you could say there is an inner circle of musicians that are very good and seem to all know each other. Once you are established as a good player it becomes easier to find others. Getting there is tough and attitude is always a factor, but it is easier to deal with when the people can actually play! I am not sure if others have experienced this, but I suspect they have. Look at the 80's LA or Bay Area bands, they all know each other and many have been in bands with each other. I think the Seattle scene was that way as well.

Comment

Been there. We went through about eight singers in two years, and finally packed it in because we couldn't find someone who could carry a tune.
          This electric phase ain't no teenage craze -UFO

Comment

Originally posted by Stinkbug View Post
            This seems to be the classic struggle...it is hard to find capable musicians. When I was first starting to play in bands it was very difficult to find a complete band. There was always a weak link somewhere either musically or attitude wise. However, after a number of years it seemed that things fell into place fairly easily as I got to know the local scene. I guess you could say there is an inner circle of musicians that are very good and seem to all know each other. Once you are established as a good player it becomes easier to find others. Getting there is tough and attitude is always a factor, but it is easier to deal with when the people can actually play! I am not sure if others have experienced this, but I suspect they have. Look at the 80's LA or Bay Area bands, they all know each other and many have been in bands with each other. I think the Seattle scene was that way as well.
            VERY true.

I can only speak for the metal scene here in Hamburg, but it's indeed like an inner circle, where the good musicians always play in more than one band. So when somebody leaves (like moving to another city or something), he always gets replaced by somebody else from the inner circle. Like a carussel, really. Especially with drummers and bassists since they are rare, but also GOOD guitarists (though there's so many guitarists, try to find a good one... good luck!).

In our rehearsal room there are three bands, I play in two of them (the second was spawned from the first to play a different style). The third band was the first in that room, and since we moved into this room we have replaced three people in this band with members of our own.
            And that's only the short version of the story, you wouldn't believe the whole thing, it's hilarious!
            http://www.myspace.com/officialuncreation

Comment

Lexington seems to be pretty dead on metal. And what acts claim to be metal aren't. Its more a screamo/emo kinda bit. Which is whatever, I'm just frustrated. Its like those who have gear totally don't want to jam, those who don't do. And usually blah...can't play worth shit. Not that I'm judgemental, but its like man practice with me and get better. They won't do it.

So I have no idea man. Good to see its not just me....sigh. Maybe a Lexington fellow will read this and jump at me.

Comment

I don't really know what the scene is like here but if the local bands I've heard are any indication then you cannot play metal if you have a normal singer it's growling ONLY... I sort of want to try and get into or start a band sometime soon but I've been afraid due to lack of experience and hating growling vocals and indie garbage

Comment

In my eyes there are two kinds of drummers, those that play super loud and suck, and those that play super loud and don't suck.

Comment

Online collaboration is probably going to be your best bet, but you're not going to be able to get on a stage with each other unless you've got a dedicated ComSat hookup and the tech crew to sync it all.

Passing tracks across YouSendIt and other such means is going to be the next wave.
                    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Its beyond frustrating to me, I want it so bad. And I feel I have the potential to really do it, and I have other reasons to keep on trying that aren't so I guess selfish or ego-like. I just can't find people who really are dedicated.

Those who claim to be, won't practice, won't apply themselves to learn. And I mean I'm honestly wanting to really sit back and hammer it out till I feel I'm getting somewhere with them or not. But they just don't see it that way.

And I was patient with that drummer, I wanted him to warm up and really get what I was doing. But apparently idolizing his drum gods didn't apply here.

I won't give up though. The hunt will continue, oh and that other guitar guy who ditched me the past week. Screw him, waste of time.

Comment

I refuse to do a band with any rockers/metall-heads or whatever, it always ends with a disaster.

I'm always looking for people who are in jazz or funk etc. circuit.
                        Because:
                        they are WAY better musicians
                        they are WAY more dedicated
                        they have WAY less ego problems

off course I'm looking for those who are into rock'n'roll, have cool attitude and aren't fucking nerds, but their backround has to be other than rock music.

And it works pretty well, I have good changes finding people who can play like motherfuckers and have good chemistry.

My last drummer is one of the leading drummers in the country and one of my best friends, he has won huge competitons and has a deal with Paiste cymbals, huge rock fan, into partying, fucking a lot of chicks etc. but has a jazz/fusion backround.

The drummer I'm starting to work right now is also a monster player and likes rock and stuff, has played in progressive metal bands and whatnot but has a fusion/prog/funk backround.
                        Last edited by Endrik; 03-26-2007, 10:06 AM.
                        "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Move to Scandanavia..
                          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                            Move to Scandanavia..
                            Abba dabba do.
                            I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Funny you mention that Endrik cause I ran into a Jazz Quartet or some shit. And they play around and they were bitchin because they didn't dig how the scene was going. I told them that we should all jam, and they instantly took me to be full of it. And couldn't fit me in their busy schedule. Oh but heres the best part was in talking about each others gear I mentioned my Jackson and he thought it was hilarious.

Apparently a JACKSON guitar is a joke to him, he went on about me living in a trailer park, listening to slayer, driving a beat up pickup, hauling around a half stack, and drinking whisky - not to mention playing a Jackson.

We ended that conversation with I drive a car instead, an oh yeah its a 'quarter stack'. Amazing how he judged me by my guitar. Thought it was cool how he wants to branch out! Try new things! But blah no time for it. I ditched contact.

Comment

Working...
                              X