Black vs. red Jazz III?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black vs. red Jazz III?

I came across one lonely Dunlop red Jazz III pick in my basement... I guess someone must have brought it over at one time and dropped it, because I've never used them. LOL Anyway, I never cared for smaller picks before, but this thing is nice, sharp, and seems really good for picking accuracy. What's the difference between the red nylon and the black stiffo Jazz IIIs? I may have to buy some new picks soon!
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

I use the black Jazz III's I assumed that if it said Jazz III they were the same and that the red ones were always Jazz II's or whatever. But yea man I bought em like maybe 2 months ago, and I'm loving em, its all I'll use now.

My friends hate em though, so it takes some getting used to.

Comment

Yeah, I just checked Dunlops site and realized there's black and red Jazz I, II and III. The I is the round tip and is 1.10mm, II is semi sharp and 1.18, and the III is the sharp and 1.38. I'm used to using .96 or 1.0mm, but this feels nice, doesn't really seem all that thick.

Comment

Back in 88 the Jazz II came in Red and Black and were identical, but they dropped them for some reason, then after Eric Johnson was reported to be scooping them up like crazy Dunlop cranked up production again, and they sold like hotcakes (there's a recent article in GW about Petrucci, Johnson, and a couple others praising the Jazz III).

Anyhoo, a few years back I ordered a ton of them from MF in both Red and Black but the Black ones are not the same as they used to be - I think they're Delrin or some other harder/stiffer material than the Reds (which are Nylon?)

Either that or the black pigment makes them seem stiffer. Whatever it is, I can't use them as well as I can the Reds - feels too stiff.
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

The black one is slightly stiffer/thicker than the red one. I have been using the black ones for months now and they increased my accuracy and technique immensly. Highly recommended picks you got right there

Comment

small world .... i just bought some of the black one yesterday! never been a big fan of small picks, but these are nice picks....
            ...that taste like tart, lemon yogart

Comment

From what I've heard, black ones wear down faster than the red ones.

btw, they are coming up with a new "Ultex Jazz III" in early April:
              From picks to pedals and every accessory in between, Dunlop Manufacturing has been creating world-class gear for musicians for over 50 years. We consistently create the best selling picks and analog electronics, and carry a large line of accessories that set industry standards in their respective fields. We have a long list of legendary and modern-day superstars who all share a passion for our gear. Whether it’s pushing new innovations with our string line, or tweaking classic sounds with our vintage pedals, there is a dedication to music at the heart of everything we create.

I think these will rock even more!

Comment

Interesting. I can't stand the Ultex... too damn slippery!

Comment

Red ones are easier to find on the stage.

I can't tell the difference between the reds or blacks and I've been using both for nearly 10 years.
                  They both feel the same to me.
                  -Rick

Comment

I had a bunch of the purple ones that I bought when they stopped making the reds, and they felt more like a regular full-sized pick as far as the material (which, of course, they were), but they would also warp with extended use - I've got a few that are rounded off from use as well as bowed from holding them.

When I ordered the reds from MF I sent all the purple ones to Tekky (eventually )
                    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

LOL I usually don't like change! I played with 1.0mm blue Tortex through the '80s, now I find them slippery, but not as much as the Ultex. I pretty much stick with the .96mm purple Gator Grip or the red heavy Gel picks (I think they're like 1.0mm). I recently picked up a 1.0 pack of Big Stubby reds from another board member and have been digging them, too, but this little Jazz III is like a revelation or something!
                      All these picks lying around the house, at least the cats always have something to play with.
                      :ROTF:

Comment

The reds have a slightly different texture than the blacks. They are smoother but stickier to me. I only buy the reds but I can use pretty much any pick that is in my hands

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                          Both the writings on the pick will still be embossed . I haven't tried the Ultex pick yet, but from what I've read it's more prone to wearing so that's a good thing for me .

Comment

For about a year, I used the Dunlop Big Stubby in 2.0 mm. I loved the easy grip, but I just couldn't get used to the overall thickness of the pick, so I switched to the red Jazz III's. Michael Angelo praised them in his Star Licks/Hot Licks (whichever it was) video, but it took some time for me to get used to such a small pick. Now I don't want anything else on electric.
                            Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                              They also make a tortex Jazz III The two Skolnick picks I got from the TSO show last December are tortex III's and I love it I just can't find anywhere that carries them. And I have been using the same regular black III for a while now and it hasn't worn down at all.

Comment

Working...
                              X