Black vs. red Jazz III?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use the red ones...
    I can`t nowhere find the black ones here around...
    And the red one`s are easier to find and also they
    go nice with my guitar(Thanks Budman):
    Cold Hollow Machinery

Comment

Originally posted by slayer32390 View Post
      They also make a tortex Jazz III
      Really? Which ones are that?

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
        I pretty much stick with the .96mm purple Gator Grip
        :ROTF:
        creepy, i use the same ones. i've been working my way down in thickness of picks. i started at 2mm and haven't looked back since. i was thinking about going thinner.
        "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

Originally posted by Nazgul View Post
          Really? Which ones are that?
          these:
          From picks to pedals and every accessory in between, Dunlop Manufacturing has been creating world-class gear for musicians for over 50 years. We consistently create the best selling picks and analog electronics, and carry a large line of accessories that set industry standards in their respective fields. We have a long list of legendary and modern-day superstars who all share a passion for our gear. Whether it’s pushing new innovations with our string line, or tweaking classic sounds with our vintage pedals, there is a dedication to music at the heart of everything we create.

and these:
          From picks to pedals and every accessory in between, Dunlop Manufacturing has been creating world-class gear for musicians for over 50 years. We consistently create the best selling picks and analog electronics, and carry a large line of accessories that set industry standards in their respective fields. We have a long list of legendary and modern-day superstars who all share a passion for our gear. Whether it’s pushing new innovations with our string line, or tweaking classic sounds with our vintage pedals, there is a dedication to music at the heart of everything we create.

Both come in different gauges but if you get the thickest gauge its the same as a jazz III. Like I said, I got two of Alex Skolnick's and they are pretty nice. If only I could find somewhere that carried them

Comment

Yeah, a friend of mine turned me onto the Jazz III's and I swear by them now. I can barley use any of the bigger picks! Never tried the red ones though, perfectly content with the black ones... I've only had one wear down on me before as well, they're pretty tough.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
              I pretty much stick with the .96mm purple Gator Grip
              Originally posted by kelly user View Post
              creepy, i use the same ones. i've been working my way down in thickness of picks. i started at 2mm and haven't looked back since. i was thinking about going thinner.
              I really can't use anything thinner than the .96mm. Well, if I were forced to, maybe .88, but no thinner than that. I hate floppy/bendy picks. Heavier picks just work better for me.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

The black ones are stiffer, and imo have better grip.
                "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
                The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

Drop a black one and a red one on a table and you can hear the difference. The black ones sound harder (when dropped) and if you try to flex one it doesn't bend, but the reds sound softer when dropped and flex just a hair.

The purple/Tortex I sent to Tekky had almost flat edges, and I had to bevel the edges with a nail file to avoid extreme amounts of "shicka-shicka" when I used them.

The small clear Stubbys are great for speed picking, though (1.0mm?) but don't do a pick scrape with 'em

For the ultimate in self-abuse, try a Stylus pick.
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Gah I can't stand Jazz III picks. I always feel like I'm going to break the strings. Green Tortex for me (.88?)
                    Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                      The small clear Stubbys are great for speed picking, though (1.0mm?) but don't do a pick scrape with 'em
                      LOL I know what you mean! And they were 1.0mm, but they're red now instead of clear.
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I use the Jazz III XLs, fucking AMAZING picks! Same shape as a regular Jazz III, but the same size as a regular pick, I can't use anything else at all except for the George Dennis sharp picks, and even those I don't like as much. The red Jazz IIIs aren't as stiff as the black ones, and the texture on the black ones is a bit rougher, where as the red ones are smooth but sort of sticky. I can't hold onto either of them for the life of me though, so I put a square of skateboard grip tape on one side, works like a dream!

I'm definitely interested in checking out those Ultex Jazz IIIs, hopefully they do an XL version because the regular ones are a bitch to hold on to, fine for practicing at home but the second I hit the stage with one I can't keep it in the same position in my fingers for the life of me.

Also, I had those Tortex Jazz III .88s for a while, I didn't like them after getting used to the regular Jazz IIIs. The regular Jazz IIIs taper off at the edges so that an edge is created where the two sides of the pick meet along the width of the pick, and the Tortex ones stay flat on both sides, so there is a flat face all along the edge of the pick, and I just prefer how the attack feels when you are hitting the strings with the tapered edge of the nylon Jazz IIIs as opposed to the Tortex ones...

EDIT: Pic to show what I mean...

Last edited by DumpyWumpy; 03-28-2007, 04:47 PM.

Comment

I may have to try the Ultex Jazz III. Something tells me I'll end up back with the good old red ones like I always do, though.

Comment

Originally posted by DumpyWumpy View Post
                            I use the Jazz III XLs, fucking AMAZING picks! Same shape as a regular Jazz III, but the same size as a regular pick, I can't use anything else at all except for the George Dennis sharp picks, and even those I don't like as much. The red Jazz IIIs aren't as stiff as the black ones, and the texture on the black ones is a bit rougher, where as the red ones are smooth but sort of sticky. I can't hold onto either of them for the life of me though, so I put a square of skateboard grip tape on one side, works like a dream!

I'm definitely interested in checking out those Ultex Jazz IIIs, hopefully they do an XL version because the regular ones are a bitch to hold on to, fine for practicing at home but the second I hit the stage with one I can't keep it in the same position in my fingers for the life of me.

Also, I had those Tortex Jazz III .88s for a while, I didn't like them after getting used to the regular Jazz IIIs. The regular Jazz IIIs taper off at the edges so that an edge is created where the two sides of the pick meet along the width of the pick, and the Tortex ones stay flat on both sides, so there is a flat face all along the edge of the pick, and I just prefer how the attack feels when you are hitting the strings with the tapered edge of the nylon Jazz IIIs as opposed to the Tortex ones...

EDIT: Pic to show what I mean...

I notice that too with the edges of nylon vs tortex but if you have trouble gripping them just get a tortex jazz III and file the edge down to a bevel like Newc said a few posts back. Grip problem solved.

Comment

Working...
                            X