Latest Project: 1 Hum custom build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Latest Project: 1 Hum custom build

Well...It's been a while since I posted any mirror top or inlay projects. Partially because I've been laying low letting the old ribs heal up. I think I'm good to go there. I've also been updating & adding onto my shop between jobs.

I thought it would be fun to document a full build. I won't post all the details of it now because projects like this can change very easily as you go. And...this one is for me, so I can do what I want .

Here is what I know wont change: Alder body, EMG 81, stacked vol/tone pot, 27 fret, 24.75in scale set neck. The neck will be set very deep like a Jaros custom. Indian rosewood FB (inlay TBD). The neck is a flame maple, purpleheart, sapele, purpleheart, maple laminate with a voloute. No scarf joint. I'm leaning toward a TOM bridge, but I have a couple OFR's in stock, so I dunno. I may do a flame top to match the neck wood....not sure on that either. When I decide what the finish will be, I'll figure out the hardware color.

The body is a shape I drew up and posted a few months back. It has an extended upper horn for better balance. I also have a walnut neck thru bass project in the works that is this same shape. Here are pics so far:

>>--HuntinDoug-->

Even in this very early stage, it already looks killer. Looking forward to the finished build

Comment

I honestly didn't think I liked it when it was a drawing. But it actually looks like a pretty cool "moser/iceman".

Can't wait to see it finished!
      When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

Yeah, looks like a cross between like a Beast and an Iceman. Awesome shape.
        Dreaded Silence - Boston Melancholic Metal

Comment

Just reading the specs on it...that's gonna be killer!
          RIP Donny Swanstrom...JCF bro
          RIP Dime

Comment

That looks awesome so far!!!!!!! I can't wait to see the final result

The body reminds me a lot of the Leviathan model from LGM though

Comment

That thing is gonna kick ass.

Comment

I've actually met Jeremy from LGM. Scott Vwall introduced me to him at the 2005 NAMM show...He's a cool guy. We hung out for a while. He is very much into RG's, and he describes the Leviathan as an "RG on steroids". He had one with him at the show, but I wasnt able to play it.

My design is based more on a strat shape with an iceman tail & extended upper horn, and a few accent "points". It wont look quite the same once I get the top carved out. Mine has the horn points sticking out, where his is more of a circular cutout. Either way you look at it, there is a similarity. If you trace designs back far enough, it all goes back to the Stratocaster I guess.

My Headstock will be a 3x3, and I have a few other design elements that will set it apart from other designs I've seen. Part of the problem with designs is you have companies like Moser, B.C Rich, & others that do so many wild designs, it's hard to whip up something that doesnt look like something else out there. That's why I'm a big iceman fan...That design was something completely new & different. The only other design I've seen that comes close is the ESP/LTD F205.
                >>--HuntinDoug-->

Comment

Working...
                X