No announcement yet.

Beer vs Wine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wine has been and will always be a touchy subject - everyone has their opinions on what's best and what sucks. Many wine "experts" will tell you that just because a bottle is expensive doesn't mean it will be good. You can often find a great bottle of wine for under $15 or $20. I've had expensive wines that I thought were awful and others that were wonderful. Some of it really is about individual tastes. One of the best ways to find out what appeals is to try different types. Go to a winery or different stores for their tastings. Or if you have a wine bar or the like - try a different type each time.

All wines may have some chemicals or phosphates - fertilizers and pesticides used in some vineyards, disinfectants, cleaners used on bottles, machinery, some wineries use a small amount of phosphates in the fermenting process. The amounts are generally minute. The health benefits generally outweight the chemicals and phosphates.

I don't suggest mixing wine with too much other stuff or overdoing it on the wine - those hangovers are know to be godawful! But a nice glass of wine here and there is a nice change.

But of course I still love my beer too!

Comment

They don't let me sample the wine at my supermarket. And here is what really sours my grapes. You DON'T store wine standing up. There is nothing worse than a dry cork. And that's my sediment, exactly.
      Last edited by fett; 04-04-2007, 01:46 PM.
      I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Very true - wine should always be stored on it's side. Preferable in a cool, dark place. You definitely don't want the cork to dry out. It tends to start falling apart into the wine and the seal begins to loosen - both very bad! And once the bottle has been opened - it needs to be drank within a couple days. That's one of the benefits of the boxes and the screw tops - they keep the air out of the container and keep the wine good for a longer period of time.

And depending on the locations, some liquor stores or specialty stores do tastings - I know Binny's Discount liquor does them here all the time, as does World Market. Some places charge a fee so watch for that. And these days there are all kinds of places that are doing wine education - they often do samples too. But getting the "cheap" wines can be a great way to try different types.

Bears fans - the Ditka wines are actually really good and can be anywhere from like $10 - $30 a bottle - definitely worth a try!

Comment

I bought 2 bottles of this a few years ago. They had cases upon cases of them for sale. I drank one and it wasn't half bad. I have one bottle left. I should have bought them all. But, I didn't have the money. http://cgi.ebay.com/1996-Kiss-Wine-E...QQcmdZViewItem

Comment

I just drink apple juice and proud of it

Comment

isn't wine for girls?
              I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim View Post
                isn't wine for girls?
                It depends on what you want to do with your cork. Way back in the '60's, we could buy a gallon of Red Mountain Wine for $1.49. My love for cheap wine spans 40 years. I will never spend $15 for a 750ML bottle of wine. That's like $80 a gallon.

Comment

I would guess most of the people saying beer is better have had way more beer than wine. Alcohol is very much an acquired taste. At least for me I usually don't like any drink very much at first unless it's similar to something I already like.

Comment

What the fuck does that mean? Flavored booze? Wine is wine and beer is beer. When you start adding "Flavors" to make it more drinkable, it is just wrong.

Comment

isn't wine for girls?
                      Not when it's cheaper than beer! Or when your with a woman. It's OK to when your company forks out the money for a big dinner that comes with wine (I miss those days).
                      Wine is better for your heart too.

Comment

Flavors" to make it more drinkable, it is just wrong
                        I have tried some of the flavored malts so I could get drunker quicker but they were too sweet and make my sick to my stomach. I didn't get drunk and I felt like shit.

Comment

no matter how cheap you can find wine, there is always cheaper beer
                          I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

The stuff that makes you hungover is not the alcohol. It's all the other shit. Flavors and sugar and sulfites and whatever. I am not an advocate of what I do.:ROTF: But Natural Ice is nice. The thicker the beer the more shit that is there to mess up your system. I'll be right back with the article.:ROTF: I'm back. http://ask.yahoo.com/20020805.html That's why you can drink really good booze and not die the next day.
                            Last edited by fett; 04-04-2007, 03:39 PM.

Comment

no matter how cheap you can find wine, there is always cheaper beer
                              You have to remember the fubarbed ratio. Whats the ratio per dollar to get you drunk. Get a bottle of wild turkey "wine" I don't think there is a beer cheaper that isn't all foam.:ROTF: . I went through that stage about 12 years ago. My stomach is so messed up now:ROTF:

Comment

Old English 800 in the '70's. I swear to God there were 3 bubbles per can. Another great story:" I had a genuine WWII leather flight jacket. Fleeced lined. So, we go to the Avalon Ball Room (SF). Janis Joplin and all that. We started out at UC Berk. I got a little looped. I stashed 2 cans of Old English. One in each sleeve. I made through. And then I proceeded to hear the first song of the first set and woke up during the last song of the last set. I was out on the floor for 3 hours. Those were the days. Remember this. Admission was like 3 bucks.

Comment

Working...
                                X