No announcement yet.

CD Rot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Luckily i havnt had this happen yet. But i know that the cheaper CD's will lose
    info on them. I do have some cheap CDR's that lost info on them and wont even boot up in my computer. Plus the audio guys at work always tell me this when i buy the cheap CD's lol Oh well. Ill spring for some gold ones soon. lol
    Gil

Comment

Bummer - need to go check my collection.

Comment

I have heard of this but have never seen it. I recently spent several months ripping all my cd's to my hard drive as well. Then just a few weeks ago I sold my entire collection on eBay for what I thought was a good amout of money. Certainly I lost out from what I paid, but still got way more then if I traded them in or something. I still have all my music, and kept about 30 or so that I wanted to have originals of - but for the most part I shipped out 762 cd's to some dude in Oregon!

Gotta love this country!

Comment

Originally posted by JACKSONFREAK View Post
          Luckily i havnt had this happen yet. But i know that the cheaper CD's will lose
          info on them. I do have some cheap CDR's that lost info on them and wont even boot up in my computer. Plus the audio guys at work always tell me this when i buy the cheap CD's lol Oh well. Ill spring for some gold ones soon. lol
          Gil
          Go with Taiyo Yuden (MIJ) if you can. They can still be bought at some K-Marts under the Fuji brand. I bought 3 or 4 spindles of 50 last year for around $8 per spindle.

Comment

Originally posted by RemCarr View Post
            I have heard of this but have never seen it. I recently spent several months ripping all my cd's to my hard drive as well. Then just a few weeks ago I sold my entire collection on eBay for what I thought was a good amout of money. Certainly I lost out from what I paid, but still got way more then if I traded them in or something. I still have all my music, and kept about 30 or so that I wanted to have originals of - but for the most part I shipped out 762 cd's to some dude in Oregon!

Gotta love this country!
            Wow, if you don't mind me asking, what kinda $$ did you get for 762 CDs? And shipping must have cost a lot...762 CDs would be HEAVY.

Comment

Originally posted by Chad View Post
              Wow, if you don't mind me asking, what kinda $$ did you get for 762 CDs? And shipping must have cost a lot...762 CDs would be HEAVY.
              There could have been a few "Easy Listening" ones in the lot. This response has "Ron" written all over it.
              I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

One dude bought all 762?
                Sam

Comment

Originally posted by roodyrocker View Post
                  If something hasn't been around 100 years, how do they know it will last 100 years?
                  Probably like the automanufacturers, they'd simulate the changes in the environment over a shorter period and subject the CD to the extremes it would get in its life-time. Just a guess.
                  The only solution to GAS is DEATH...

Comment

Originally posted by Chad View Post
                    Actually, it might be worthwhile to contact the record label. Back when I bought the Star Wars trilogy on DVD, I had trouble getting EP IV to play properly, so I emailed the company and they mailed out a whole new EP IV DVD with the case and everything....no questions asked. Well, they did email back and ask for my mailing address and DVD player make/model but that was it, then I had the DVD in the mail in less than a week. A record label might do the same.
                    Did you have to send them DVD that was not working? Or proof of purchase? If not, then I "have" some DVDs that are not working too .

Comment

I have seen this happen... my Metal Church CD is like this, alond with one or two other ones.

Funny someone mentioned it earlier, when we buy a CD, we are buying the licencse to listen to it. I think that CD's should be replaced either for free, or for a MINIMAL fee. Im going to look deeper into this.

Consider, if you crack a CD, why should you have to go buy ANOTHER license. Thats like if you buy Windows... if you reformat, you dont have to buy another licence, you just reinstall it with your current license. There really is NO difference!

Do I smell class-action?
                      Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Originally posted by Nazgul View Post
                        Did you have to send them DVD that was not working? Or proof of purchase?
                        Nope. They sent out the replacement DVD entirely in good faith.

If not, then I "have" some DVDs that are not working too .
                        Please don't. It's a rare thing for a company to do such a customer service oriented thing. If you abuse it, then it will just ruin it for everybody. Plus, I'd think they'd take notice if a person was making an unusual quantity of requests.

Comment

^ I won't. It was meant as a joke . I even don't know what company was that.

Comment

Man, Bill will freak seeing this. He probably has like well over 5000 CD's....

Comment

Working...
                            X