Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Car guys: Dirtiest lifter valley EVAR!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car guys: Dirtiest lifter valley EVAR!!!

So I decided to pull the intake off the truck... couldnt hurt to reseal everything, and I wanted to see weather the holes were tapped for the spider hold down for a roller cam swap...

Well this was what I found:

Im still in shock... this thing has about 80k miles on it, and runs like a friggin BEAR! Ive never seen a lifter valley THIS dirty before. Well now on to cleaning it all out and preparing for the Lt1 cam swap Im now about to do along with Lt4 springs and 1.6 full rollers!
    Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

I have. Thicker gaskets. Damn it. What year is the engine? Take the whole thing apart and get it boiled out.
    I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Ohhhhh, I thought mine was bad! You have easy to get at lifters there. I had a tapping in my Jeep, that was a stuck lifter. My head has holes through the top just large enough to get the lifter out of, then open space inside before the lifter cylinder, and when I was putting the new one in, the tool unlocked, and I dropped it inside the head and it fell sideways.... Lets just say it was a long day....

Comment

I am sooooo done with working on cars. That is until I find "The One". I actually have money now.

Comment

Its a 1992 SBC 350 TBI. Only has 85k miles on it, apparently the previous owners didnt like to change the oil all that much. No biggy, it runs awesome and has good oil pressure, so I feel confident itll run just fine with the cam and rockers.
          Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

I have seen much worse. Especially back in the Quaker Sludge parafene base days.-Lou
            " I do not pay women for sex. I pay for them to leave after the sex ". -Wise words of Charlie Sheen

Comment

I have an 89 Ford Areostar. V-6. With like a zillion miles on it. I just let it burn down quart and add one. If I were to change the oil it would probably loosen everything up and run like shit. It has a very nice internal vibe and runs like a champ. I am not going to fuck it up by letting all those gummed up parts flap around with new oil.

Comment

Its a Chevy, whaddya expect? :ROTF: But seriously, Unless you plan to disassemble the engine to thoroughly clean it, I wouldn't bother trying to get that suff out of the lifter valley. You risk getting chunks of that stuff blocking critical oil passages. Its hard to tell from the pix but is that stuff in the intake ports too?

Rudy
                Rudy
                www.metalinc.net

Comment

Slap it all together and run a 3 to 1 oil to camp fire stove fuel through it. That ought to do it.:ROTF: It was just an idea.

Comment

Dirty yes

But you should see some of the industrial engines I get from the mines in our shop. 3500 series cats and k series cummins, ungodly dirty
                    I've fallen, Fallen through. If I'm Not With you, All I wanna Do Is Feel blue

Comment

Im cleaning it all out, then dropping the oil pan and cleaning that too along with a new oil pump.

Comment

Way OT, but how do you guys learn how to do all this stuff? I know more about cars than most of my friends and I can just change the oil and fix the assorted light bulbs and such. I wouldn't even think about opening up an engine.
                        Scott

Comment

Imagination and my dad

I always like to know ho things work, that's why I rebuilt my 1st motor @ 15 and why I've always worked on my own cars

Same with guitars, I always want to know
                          I've fallen, Fallen through. If I'm Not With you, All I wanna Do Is Feel blue

Comment

The way I started was way back when. Got a book called "How To Rebuild Your Small Block Ford". It described stock rebuilds but I read some other stuff about modifying and have since built a few engines including a supercharged 302 in my 93 Mustang and now I'm working on a nitrous injected Boss 302 to go in my Pro Street 64 Falcon. Haven't blown up anything yet so either I'm not pushing them hard enough or I'm doing something right
                            Hanging around the drag strips for years helps too I guess. Now I shoot photography for one of the drag race magazines

Rudy
                            Rudy
                            www.metalinc.net

Comment

I actually just saw one waaaayyyy worse than that that someone posted this week on one of the camaro
                              boards I'm on. It was on a Toyota Camry I believe and it was waaaaayyyyy worse....I'll see if I can find the pic. Anyways they said the oil was changed maybe one time in about 80K LOL!!!

- Joel
                              RIP Donny Swanstrom...JCF bro
                              RIP Dime

Comment

Working...
                              X