Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Car guys: Dirtiest lifter valley EVAR!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whoops...I was wrong it was an '02 Ford Explorer with 70K on it...here are the pics LOL!

RIP Donny Swanstrom...JCF bro
    RIP Dime

Comment

I have worked on a few engines in my day but, those are some fucked up innards...
      -Nate
      Insert annoying equipment list here....

Comment

Wow thats pretty fucking bad!

As for how I learned... Ive always had a knack for taking things apart and usually getting them back together. My Nan bought me a tool set when I was 6 and it was all over from there. I worked on bikes, then started with mopeds around 15. Once I started driving and got my first Trans Am GTA, it was all over... I got stiffed once or twice by mechanics, so I said fuck it, Ill never take ANYTHING to ANYONE again... and I havent (except for exhaust work because I dont have a welder).
        Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Built lotsa engines in my time starting at age 15 with rebuild of a destroyed Olds 425 motor. Bad crank, rods, pistons lands shattered etc...

Weird thing is my dad always did a lot of automotive works all the time I was child and I was never allowed to be around him when he worked. He never showed me shit.

I basically learned by getting a chassis manual for that unit and having at it by myself. He let me frustrate out at getting that thing done alone with no input. I did it, it ran like a bear, and never looked back and never asked him for shit. Just somehow ended up doing stuff for him later on he couldn't figure out or do since I bought the specialized tools I needed to do stuff right.

I guess I always had a common sense for that shit. Not much I can't do at this point. Gimme a book and the right tools, I'll get it done. And that goes for about anything.
          Last edited by Cleveland Metal; 04-07-2007, 08:33 AM.

Comment

Lack of money is a good motivation to learn. I started with a 61 Renault Daphine. Yeah, my 24 year old son doesn't know anything about cars. Not only that, who would want to touch a newer car engine? There's no carb.:ROTF: Hoses everywhere. The engines are so crammed in there you need to be a dwarf to get to anything.
            I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Yeah, lack of money (and a problem with slacker people that do crummy work), that is why I have learned to work on cars to a pretty serious depth, build houses (most every system but roofing), build/troubleshoot computers, and a million other bogusly complex things modern life seems to involve...

Guess being poor does do somethin for ya.

BTW, Modern cars don't have many vacuum houses these days bro, yer talking 80's 90's... It's most all wires and sensors CRAMMED in there these days...

Comment

Thank god, tracking down vacuum leaks sucks.

Better off just replacing them all.

How bout a 300 inline ford 6 cyl. Those things had hard vacuum lines that would break all over the place.
                sigpic

Comment

Im taking a break... carb cleaner in the eye SUCKS!

The valley is clean... that was the easy part. Now Ive gotta do the rocker arm area which is going to be a bitch. Im heading to pepboys for some more friggin brushes and a lifter puller (lost my old one).
                  Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

I got sick of letting others work on my car. Most of the time I would get it back with something else wrong or just notice certain things caused by general carelessness ie. stripped bolts/new scratches/dents. I really got sick of paying good money and having things not done exactly right....yes, I'm anal and like to take exceptional care of my shit so, I live by the saying..."If you want something done right, do it yourself." This not only applies to auto's for me but, anything.....guitars, carpentry, plumbing, electrical....anything...If It's possible for me to learn and do a job myself, I will...that way you know it's done right.

Comment

Last edited by texasfury; 10-04-2008, 07:30 PM.
                      Just a guitar player...

Comment

Comment

We used to run tranny fluid instead of oil. It would get rid of all of the nastys before we would rip an engine apart for a full rebuild. It would smoke like a mother but it would be pretty clean internally once we dumped the fluid.

Comment

Originally posted by RobRR View Post
                            Im heading to pepboys for some more friggin brushes and a lifter puller (lost my old one).
                            When I moved up here, I lost a lot of stuff. But, I still have the lifter puller I borrowed from a neighbor 5 years ago.
                            I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Well I couldnt find a lifter puller ANYWHERE... noone has them anymore. So I decided to go ghettoh style and push the lifters down into the pan, beings that Im dropping it anyway. Whats funny is, once I pushed the last lifter down in there, my stepdad shows up with a lifter puller in hand.

Comment

Originally posted by RobRR View Post
                                Well I couldnt find a lifter puller ANYWHERE... noone has them anymore. So I decided to go ghettoh style and push the lifters down into the pan, beings that Im dropping it anyway. Whats funny is, once I pushed the last lifter down in there, my stepdad shows up with a lifter puller in hand.
                                If you are using a new cam and lifters...no biggie....however, if you are reusing your stock stuff, you made a mistake by not pulling the lifters and keeping them in sequence. They need to go back on the exact same lobe they came off of as they develop a wear pattern. Your cam will more than likely fail.....it could happen in weeks or months, but, it will probably fail.-Lou
                                " I do not pay women for sex. I pay for them to leave after the sex ". -Wise words of Charlie Sheen

Comment

Working...
                                X