No announcement yet.

How do you pronounce: Jaguar ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

speaking of Welsh ancestry, I was doing some research on my family recently, and it turns out that my proudly Scottish great grandmother (RIP) was actually born in Wales. She & my great grandfather emigrated from Scotland back in the 20s (so we're not ALL convicts over here....)

So I can now add some Welsh into the mongrel mix that makes up me.
    Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
      speaking of Welsh ancestry, I was doing some research on my family recently, and it turns out that my proudly Scottish great grandmother (RIP) was actually born in Wales. She & my great grandfather emigrated from Scotland back in the 20s (so we're not ALL convicts over here....)

No, but you have all the ingredients!!

I come from a family of holiday-home burning rabid Welsh Nationalists, what fun it is at family get togethers where the only ones speaking English are me and Mum. Must have been such a disappointment for my Taid for his son to go and marry one of the Enemy.
      And they don't like it when I venture the idea that we English are their Lords and Masters, having soundly conquered them throughout history. Strange that.
      So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

It's definitely Porch-uh. About the only thing I learned while taking years and years of German in highschool and college is that every letter in a word is pronounced. Unlike French where only about 3 out of 5 letters are pronounced.
        I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Originally posted by Rsmacker View Post
          No, but you have all the ingredients!!

I come from a family of holiday-home burning rabid Welsh Nationalists, what fun it is at family get togethers where the only ones speaking English are me and Mum. Must have been such a disappointment for my Taid for his son to go and marry one of the Enemy.
          And they don't like it when I venture the idea that we English are their Lords and Masters, having soundly conquered them throughout history. Strange that.
          We're not all humorless cunts
          I find it particularly amusing that our best remembered terrorists (Dai the terrorist and Dai the not quite all there) are famous for trying to blow up the train that was taking that Greek/German hybrid the Price of Wales (spit) to his investiture but failing in quite a spectacular fashion. Only the Free Wales Army would have a suicide squad that only blew up themselves and nobody else!
          Fwopping, you know you want to!

VI VI VI: the editor of the Beast!

There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary. Those who do and those who don't.

Comment

Jag - U - Are

and before you ask: Por shuh
            Charvel: Model1, 2 & 5, Surfcaster 12
            Jackson: DK2, JRS-2, Kelly

Comment

Originally posted by JRE View Post
              and before you ask: Por shuh
              Nobody asked, ya Johnny-Come-Lately
              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by shobet View Post
                It's also nice to see people with Welsh ancestry coming forward.
                I've got an Italian last name (my dad's all Italian), and my mom is Irish, Danish, English, Welsh, maybe even a little Scottish in there, too. The 50% Italian is cancelled out by mom's side... I've got reddish-brownish hair and milk white skin. I don't stand a chance in hell in the sun! Then again, I also did have a red-headed Italian grandmother.
                I need to wait until the sun goes down and work on my moon tan. If I had black hair, goth chicks would dig me.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Go Vikings!!!!!:ROTF: :ROTF: :ROTF: That's on my dad's side. I am so far north of Nordic it's scary.:ROTF:

Comment

The was meant to indicate a joke. In terms of a registered brand name or trade mark of luxury items, the trend and cache supported by consumerism in further hightening brand recogntion, is to adopt the pronunciation of the originating country or region. This didactic elitism demonstrates an inferred understanding and appreciation for the products in purchased social credibility.

Therefore, we have accepted foriegn pronunciation, as, 'received', pronunciatioin in brand names that are not of Englsih origin. It is Cha/Nel in iambic metering, rather than 'Channel'. It is Lou/oui vi/Ton and not Lewis Vi-un, ver/SAH/chi and not ver/CAce and finally, Ja-GYU/-r and not the same pronunciation as the animal, which has a wide variety of pronunciiation and phonology globally by native English language speakers.

However, if one wishes to visit a dealer and are intent on being a serious client, you may call it a 'pussy magnet' to a male sales associate with possibly little objection.

Comment

Who buys that Lowie shit anyhow? All I know is it ain't "Jagwire"

Comment

I'm sure we have done this before, but I say "Carvel". Who says "Sharvel" ? You big sissys.:ROTF: :ROTF: :ROTF:

Comment

Originally posted by El_Kabong View Post
                          The was meant to indicate a joke. In terms of a registered brand name or trade mark of luxury items, the trend and cache supported by consumerism in further hightening brand recogntion, is to adopt the pronunciation of the originating country or region.
                          Aha, so that means my new telly isn't a telly at all, it's a "hi-ya wing yung chong". Or is that my fridge?

The next thing you know, some smart-arse will be telling me that Tomato = "tom-ate-o" and not "tom-art-o"....... :ROTF:
                          So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

Originally posted by fett View Post
                            I'm sure we have done this before, but I say "Carvel". Who says "Sharvel" ? You big sissys.:ROTF: :ROTF: :ROTF:
                            When you say Carvel, I say Cookie Puss and Fudgie the Whale!
                            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

So, when a brit sees the large feline at the zoo, what does he call it? Is it a Jag-u-ar too?

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                                When you say Carvel, I say Cookie Puss and Fudgie the Whale!
                                And dont forget to pick up some thinny thin for your fatty fat friends.:ROTF:

Comment

Working...
                                X