No announcement yet.

John Mayer issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While I don't care for his commercial shit (chic tunes), the dudes got some skills.
    And Buddy Guy wouldn't play with him if he was just a wannabe.
    I saw him do a show on Austin City Limits with SRV's old band and he kicked some major ass.
    Better than your average blues club player IMHO.
    -Rick

Comment

No one in the history of rock music makes guitar faces like this guy...

Curt Mitchell...

Not even close.

I actually think this is his forte.

Comment

I saw John Mayer when he came to Lexington like a month ago. The show sucked - but I didn't tell my friend that who invited me to go with him. I was kind of his place to stay, but dude - the show SUCKED! He likes Mayer and I kind of do too. I don't think hes that great but once again...the show SUCKED.

Comment

Originally posted by Strat God View Post
          I'm suprised there are so many Mayer fans on this site.

I don't like him. Fair writing skills. SOME guitar chops. I HATE his whiney, weak voice. He looks like he would prefer prison sex over Jessica's ass.

John Mayer is a marginal product created and marketed by the Big Record Companies for the sole purpose of generating money (from primarily women audiences).

*yawn* move on...............
          I could see that about John Mayer as a pop star. But as a player doing what he wants to do he's pretty kick ass. The pop music pays the bills and allows him to pursue his passion with his trio.
          I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
            + 1,000,000,000
            Excellent response Jeff.
            Thanks John.
            I recently got his "TRY" CD which is a live 3-piece gig.
            I gave him a fair consideration- it just does not excite me - and I'm a huge Buddy Guy, SRV, Jimmi, Muddy, Johnny Winter-style blues fan.

Granted the guys' more successful than me - but he still sucks.
            Strat God Music
            http://www.esnips.com/web/Strat-God-Music/?flush=1

Comment

Originally posted by Megadeth79 View Post
              Sorry but do not agree. You may not call him "incredible" but he is a descent player imho. You can listen to its Hendrix cover of axis bold as love. Just my h. opinion.
              I never said he sucked. I agree he is a decent player but there are things that piss me off that I have to call out.

#1. He isn't good enough of a player to be given a signature model. That is all marketing. Luckly... many players who have signature models are actually excellent guitar players. He isn't one of them.
              #2. The reason Buddy Guy plays with him is because of the Fender affiliation. Don't forget my bros... Buddy Guy needs to pay the bills too. Playing with Mayer gives him exposure to the younger crowd.

Here is a simple explaination of how I rate GREAT guitar players.

Blues: You need to be close to SRV, Hendrix or Clapton caliber. That means chops, variety, feel and attack. Stevie had it all.
              Jazz: Jazz is so foreign to me as a style.. I can't even comment on it. I just don't get the chord progressions of the key changes. I wish I did and one day I will start studying it. I think its the hardest style of all to play. My favorite jazz styles include Dimeola and Tony Macalpine's CAB series.
              Rock: You need to be able to keep your blues foundation but incorporate it into a rock style. For me.. you need to be at least as good as Joe Perry and Warren Haynes.
              Metal: You need to be close to the same league as Malmsteen, Lynch, Macalpine, Roth, Gilbert, Vai, Petrucci. For instance.. you need to be able to execute and master
              Sweeps
              Vibrato
              Bends
              Modes
              Scales
              Alternate picking
              String Skipping
              Hammer-ons
              Pull-offs
              Your pick hand and your fret hand have to be equally devistating.
              You should be able to mix in all kinds of styles too:
              Blues
              Chicken pickin
              Neo-classical
              Rock
              even some Jazz.

Bottom line for me.. I am a very tough critic. I have been playing for over 30 years and I have (toot my own horn) always been considered a very good versatile well rounded player. I could sit in on any genre of music with no prop except for jazz.
              Its funny though.. after all the verbal spewing I just made regarding all these great players my favorite solo's are usually just a few perfect notes.
              Most noteably for me:

Ship of Fools... Robert Plant
              Expresso Love... Dire Straits.

AND ANYTHING BY ULI JON ROTH

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                Luckly... many players who have signature models are actually excellent guitar players.
                Well, that leaves Tom DeLonge out. :ROTF: :ROTF:
                Occupation: Department Director for the Department of Redundancy Department

Comment

Originally posted by donf View Post
                  Well, that leaves Tom DeLonge out. :ROTF: :ROTF:
                  Yep.. he is one of the marketing decisions made by Fender and many other companies.

Comment

Thought i'd just throw these out there.......

Comment

Working...
                    X