No announcement yet.

Iron Man

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's what I liked about Iron Man. He wasn't just some righteous super dude. He had his demons, and the whole concept of the mobile iron lung suit was fantastic. I used to have about 300 Iron Man comics, including most of the very first ones (i didn't have number one unfortunately) in mint condition, individually bagged, but some piece of shit stole the whole lot from my moms house.
    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Not much to do in Canada as a kid, eh. I never got into CB's. Way back in the 50's we got our hair cut at "Larry's Barbershop". I actually remember picking up a SGT. Rock for about 2 minutes and that was that. I don't know why, but they just didn't work for me.
      Last edited by fett; 04-14-2007, 01:33 PM.
      I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Well, I grew up in England until I was almost 11. I think I only had a handful of comics until I was 12, and then I just started collecting them. I bought a lot of back issues. That was before the market went insane, so I managed to get an almost complete Iron Man collection without paying crazy money.

Comment

I have the 1-2-3 of Spawn. My son collected like all of them. That's when there was the "Comic Book Craze". I went through a "Vintage Golf Club Craze" and minted money.:ROTF: Anticipate the next "Craze" and back up the truck.

Comment

When the Spawn series came out, the market was already teetering. It had made a steady climb up to that point, and all the manufacturers were cashing in by putting out fancy holographic covers, all kinds of special editions, etc. "Collectors" were buying like 4 copies each of all the new books, thinking they could turn around and make a boatload of cash off them in ten years. Common sense could have told them that since evryone was doing the same thing, their comics were saturating the market, and would be worth nothing. That's exactly what happened. As soon as people started to clue in, the industry crashed in a big way. Marvel was pumping out comic books faster than they could believe, charging $2-$3 a copy, and suddenly no one was buying them. They ended up filing for bankruptcy. I think the whole thing taught everyone a big lesson. Me and my friends collected the books because we liked them, not because we thought they were going to make us millionaires. Back then Marvel comics were still 75 cents each, DC were 95 cents. As soon as all the chumps jumped on the bandwagon, they ruined the market, and prices skyrocketed. I stopped buying when the prices started climbing. I haven't bought a comic book in close to 20 years.

Comment

You are so right. And well put. Mine were like a buck a pop.

Comment

Originally posted by fett View Post
                You are so right. And well put. Mine were like a buck a pop.
                Oh, hell, I remember paying 25 cents each for them when I was a kid. Aaah the good old days.

I'll bet when you were a kid they were like a penny each!! :ROTF:

Sorry fett, couldn't help it.

Comment

I used to buy them for 10c - they even had a big thing on the cover that said "STILL ONLY 10 cents"!
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by zeegler View Post
                    Oh, hell, I remember paying 25 cents each for them when I was a kid. Aaah the good old days.

I'll bet when you were a kid they were like a penny each!! :ROTF:

Sorry fett, couldn't help it.
                    But, I am young at heart. As long as it holds out.:ROTF:

Comment

Originally posted by zeegler View Post
                      ...all the manufacturers were cashing in by putting out fancy holographic covers, all kinds of special editions, etc. "Collectors" were buying like 4 copies each of all the new books, thinking they could turn around and make a boatload of cash off them in ten years.
                      My rule of thumb says that is something has "Collector's Edition" printed on the cover, it isn't.

I have G.I. Joe - A Real American Hero #1-#20, which I bought new as they came out. I was hoping that they would turn into something worth some money. Unfortunately, they didn't. Oh well. I was never really into action comic books. I liked stuff from the 50's and 60's, like Batman. Some of the original star trek comics were good, too. I never liked thing that were to "stylized". Having read Peanuts and Scrooge McDuck from my youngest years, I gravitated to more simplistic layouts. I picked up some newer Batman stuff in the late 70s and didn't care for it at all.

I have no idea where I'm going with this.

- E.
                      Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

Working...
                      X