Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ultra-Light/Experimental Aircraft- anybody?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ultra-Light/Experimental Aircraft- anybody?

Hey guys,

I always wanted to be a career pilot. Until I got married...pursuing the IT thing, but I spent many many hours as a teen on MS Flight Sim.

I may go and get a sport or private pilots license in the future...

But in the meantime, I've been looking into ultra-light airplanes. They require no license, and my dad lives in a very rural area that would be suitable.

I want a 2 seater...like this..http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Quick...QQcmdZViewItem

Theres nicer kits, but I don;t want to spend more than $4k-5k in about 6 months.
    I'de really like a Challenger II, but $15k is more than my car.

I was wondering if any of you guys have any experience/input/advice?

Thanks,
    Steve

Do you have a family? Didn't John Denver end his career in one?
    I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

They seem cool.I wonder how much would be the shipping to Turkey.I pay about 200 for guitars
      I wish my hair-color was EDS :/

Comment

Hum, are you sure that they do not require any kind of license? Here in Sweden you need at least a special "ultralight license" or a normal class A certificate to fly. Perhaps the regulations are different over there

Even though you dont have to, I guess it would still be a good idea to go through some kind of training/education anyway. There is no "reset-button" in real life, you know

Or, if you are just going for the "flight experience", why dont spend your money on a soaring/sailflying license instead? Much cheaper and more fun if you ask me (I have one myself)!

Comment

Originally posted by fett View Post
          Do you have a family? Didn't John Denver end his career in one?
          First thing that came to my mind too.

Comment

No, you don't need a license for ultra-light. Training is highly recommended.
            Why would I want a un-motorized craft?

Comment

Here is my 2 cents.

I spent 10 years as an A&P mechanic and 3 as an AI. before I too went into the IT world. I have inspected, worked on and built several types of aircraft. Actually buying/fixing/flipping ac can net some decent bucks.

I have bought several X planes thru the years. X means experimental, you need no license/inspections, basically nothing, just build and fly.

There were a few I bought and when I tore into them I was mortified on how they were put together. You cannot get AC parts at the local hardware store yet many planes ( both X and non X ) I have seen thru the years have a lot of hardware store parts. Not Good !!! Hint: Learn the difference between sheer and tension and when to use which fastener. That is the single biggest mistake I see.

The last one I had was a true ticking time bomb. Someone had started to cut the spar, realized they were in the wrong spot and then just cut it again. The cut was only maybe 1/10th the way thru but on an AC that is enough. It becomes a stress point and a failure will occur.

My advice, if you buy a pre built one from a Joe sixpack you better know what too look for or pay some one to do it for you. Ultra lights are safe if built and flown correctly.

Just remember.......in a car you can pull over when it breaks down.........an AC, not so much..............

Comment

I'll chime in along with hammer84. I used to work as an aeronautical engineer and I'm currently a captain for NetJets with an ATP (airline transport pilot) rating.

I'd be very suspect of any aircraft built by someone without abackground like hammer84's or any good A&P mechanic. Even then, there are basically no regulations governing the design and building of ultralights so buyer definitely beware - big time!

Also, while one can teach himself to play guitar, I highly recommend NOT trying the same approach with flying. No matter how slow or low an ultralight may fly, it's certainly high enough and fast enough to kill you.

My recommendation would be to read up on the new sport pilot license, as it requires less instruction than a regular private pilot license. That way, you'll learn how to safely fly. At that point, you might consider either joining a flying club or forming a partnership to buy an aircraft. There is a newer category of airplanes called light sport aircraft (LSA) that will help to protect you against some of the pitfalls of the ultralights.

Flying is expensive but your life is worth it to do it right.
                Takeoffs are optional but landings are mandatory.

Comment

If you don't already have a will.. please put me in it before you get one of those.

Comment

I didn't know there were other A&P's on here. I have been doing it for nearly twenty years.

I wish I had the foresight to get out a long time ago...

Anyhow, I saw a guy get killed in one of those things. When things go wrong you don't have much protection around you.

Comment

Working...
                    X