Guitar Shopping In China (JEM Clock)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guitar Shopping In China (JEM Clock)

In honor of Endrik's Fancy Chang thread, here's my experience guitar shopping in China.

My first stop was in Dong-guan, a mostly industrial city. Not much in terms of guitars. Looked in about 4 shops and saw a total of 4 electric guitars.

Next stop was Shanghai, one of the most expensive cities in China. There's a few blocks that are packed with instrument stores (guitars, pianos, traditional Chinese instruments, etc.). The guitar shops were full of knock-offs and Chinese brands. Fake Fenders, Gibsons, Ibanez, ESP, Jackson, Dean, etc. can all be had on the cheap. Strangely enough, a real Squire costs over 2x more than the knock-offs (The Hello-Kitty guitar runs $300, most of the knock-offs were in the $100-$200 range). I didn't have time to play any of the guitars, but I did pick up a JEM that I turned into a clock. Total cost was $1100 RMB (about $135). There must a ton of knock-off factories because every JEM I saw was a little different. Anyways, it's late, so onto the pics:

Headstock with fake logo:

Fake Serial #:

Three-piece neck:

Neck Pocket:

Neck Scallop (before cleaning):

Some Clock Pics:

Those are some sharp looking fret ends.
    That is a fairly cool decoration.

Comment

did you play it before making it a clock? I've always been curious about those chinese knock-offs. Anyways cool project regardless.

Comment

Trem don't seem parallel and the action looks a little high.
        The only solution to GAS is DEATH...

Comment

wtf! The neck pickup isn't even wound!!
          Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Originally posted by zeegler View Post
            :ROTF:
            Scott
            Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Cool clock. At least it shows what a motivated individual can do with crap...
              I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

Originally posted by slayer32390 View Post
                did you play it before making it a clock? I've always been curious about those chinese knock-offs. Anyways cool project regardless.
                Unfortunately, I didn't even strum a chord on it... I pretty much walked through all the shops to compare stock/prices and bought the cheapest one that looked acceptable. I didnt' want to hold up the people waiting for me. Before I walked out the door I had them take off the neck for easier travel.

Originally posted by zeegler View Post
                Good eye . Actually, I had to unwind it and cut the base plate to fit the clock movement in. The only pickup that would work is the bridge...

Comment

But does it keep perfect time?
                  Fwopping, you know you want to!

VI VI VI: the editor of the Beast!

There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary. Those who do and those who don't.

Comment

Cool idea. I didn't have the time to go to any music stores in China. Actually, I didn't really think about it. If I go back I will have to make an effort to look for some.

Comment

Originally posted by shobet View Post
                      But does it keep perfect time?
                      I used a Japanese movement for that, so I should be OK .

Comment

I saw a guitar just like this in a LMS a year or so ago. I was fooled until I saw the trem. It said "Music Master" or something like that. Luckily I came home and looked it up before I did anything else.

Comment

Working...
                        X