No announcement yet.

Landline or Mobile?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you want to keep a land line and you have a decent internet service voip works great for not a ton of money compared to standard landlines.

Verizon Voicewing is $24.99 unlimited calling and all domestic long distance is included. If you have relatives somewhere else you can get a phone # to correspond with their area if they get charged long distance.

We keep a landline to keep in touch with out of state people so we aren't wiping out our cell minutes. I've often thought of dropping the land line and just upping the minutes but it doesn't seem beneficial for us ..
    Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

I just recently got a land line again. We have FIOS and it is real cheap to have. The funny thing is that for four years I worked for MCI and didnt have one and now I have worked at the #1 cordless phone manufacturer for the last 2.5 years without one. Do you have a laptop with a wireless card? If you do Vonage would be great for when you hit a stop on the road that has a hot spot.

Comment

If you go the cell route, try and get a 1-year contract. Every provider will try and sucker a 2-year out of you, but 1-year's are available.

I've had Verizon for just over a year (the contract ran out a couple months back), but plan on changing to Cingular as a lot of my family has Cingular Wireless and calls within the network are free, plus the rollover minutes will benefit me.

In the past, I've used Amazon.com to order a phone and plan together, as in the past they usually have pretty good rebates on phones for new customers, but when I checked recently, they don't offer a 1-year contract for Cingular. I checked at a local Cingular store, and they told me they can do a 1-year for an extra $50, which I think is worth it.

Another good site to compare cell plans/carriers is letstalk.com
        Anyone know of any others?
        "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Originally posted by MetalMedal II View Post
          If you go the cell route, try and get a 1-year contract. Every provider will try and sucker a 2-year out of you, but 1-year's are available.

I've had Verizon for just over a year (the contract ran out a couple months back), but plan on changing to Cingular as a lot of my family has Cingular Wireless and calls within the network are free, plus the rollover minutes will benefit me.

In the past, I've used Amazon.com to order a phone and plan together, as in the past they usually have pretty good rebates on phones for new customers, but when I checked recently, they don't offer a 1-year contract for Cingular. I checked at a local Cingular store, and they told me they can do a 1-year for an extra $50, which I think is worth it.

Another good site to compare cell plans/carriers is letstalk.com
          Anyone know of any others?
          Some good info here my man! I'll definately bring that up when I talk to em, there are tons of options here. Cingular, Verizon, Cricket, Sprint...all the big names. What makes me go more for Verizon is because when I travel towards eastren ky, the mountains interfere with Cingulars signal I'm sure of. But some others have Verizon and they get excellent signals out there.

And plus an MP3 phone is really all I want, or are those even worth it?

Comment

I have the LG Chocolate on Verizon. It's OK but there are some annoying things about it. For example it does not have a normal output jack so you have to use proprietary headphones (and cannot connect to a stereo)

Comment

The MP3 phones I've dealt with aren't really versatile enough to make it worth using that function to base a purchase decision on. A dedicated MP3 player is many times better. Mostly due to memory constraint (most have limited memory available on phones and the addition flash cards if they have that, are pricey) and there are of course battery drain issues.

I have a phone that plays mp3s and have never even bothered to even use the function as I have a Sandisk Sansa 4 gig player that is very effective (I like it better than the iPod).

I also carry a digital camera as well in the truck as the cameras on the CDMA cellphone units we have here in the US are usually 1.3 or so, and my camera is 5, only the Euro GMS phoes have great cameras at this time. Camera phones are nice to play with in a pinch to send someone a silly picture or for emergency documentation of something, but cellphone pics generally aren't very good. Another function that isn't a great thing to make a cellphone purchase decision on as well.

Look for a phone that feels comfy when talking on, has the text and voice options you like ergonomically and has a good battery life. I like Bluetooth headsets somewhat, so that is a function to look for.
              Last edited by Cleveland Metal; 04-22-2007, 03:22 PM.

Comment

psst...if you regularly roll minutes over, you're on the wrong rate plan.
                Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                Sully Guitars on Facebook
                Sully Guitars on Google+
                Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

1. I hate cell phones.

2. When I am in my office the f*+#ing phone rings every minute anyway.

3. People in germany are fearing the effects of a small micro-wave-machine boiling your brain.

4. Our company pays 75% of communicating costs on customers that have to be called back on their expensive cell-phone nets. The other 25% is a flatrate on all national calls including the fastest DSL available.

5. I´ll never get rid off my landline at home. How do you surf without a landline?

6. It seems that every teenager in this country needs a cell phone to survive daily life. Especially when used for writing messages - here called SMSs. I´ve seen kids pointing at something with their thumb instead of the index, because they are so used to typing messages with their thumbs.

Comment

Originally posted by 5074charvel View Post
                    5. I´ll never get rid off my landline at home. How do you surf without a landline?
                    The modem is hooked up to the cable TV line, which is much faster than dial-up.
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I am having DSL over the landline at home, which is also much faster than dial-up. I don´t have cable tv. I wonder if it´s also done over cable tv elswhere here.

Comment

Working...
                      X