Hercules Stands Damaging My Guitar Finishes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hercules Stands Damaging My Guitar Finishes

I've noticed that over time, this has DAMAGED the finish on my guitars. My Jackson has suffered especially, with the binding discolored and coming up in spots, damaged clear coat, and discoloration I can't get off. The clear coat marks are on all my guitars. IS there anyway I can get in contact with them, the only have links to their sales department, though I guess it could be worth sending them an email and seeing if they direct me anywhere. Still I'm veyr PO'd.... Pics to come...

Sounds like a bad chemical reaction with the finish and the rubber.
    I would be pissed as hell too.
    -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
      Sounds like a bad chemical reaction with the finish and the rubber.
      I would be pissed as hell too.
      I should note though, that oddly it hasn't really affected my Ibanez RG or Squier Tele. My DK2T is by far the worse, my OLP is pretty clean now, but my DK2T isn't looking to good. My RR5 I haven't dare put near it, I just have it resting in my papasan chair.

Comment

I have been noticing this as well. I thought they were the perfect guitar stands, well hangers. I have a wall mount one and a stand I use at my church. I'm just going to throw them away and be done with them.
        I haven't used the hanger in my bedroom because my girls like to play "swing the guitar" when I have a guitar on there, no no!
        I also put one up in my pastor's office for her guitar. I guess I'll have to replace it.
        So, what's the next best hanger/stand that doesn't ruin finishes?

Brian

Comment

I use String Swing hangers.
          No issues at all.
          Get the guaranteed best price on Solid Body Electric Guitars like the Jackson DK2M Red Ghost Flames Electric Guitar at Musician's Friend. Get a low price and free shipping on thousands of items.
          -Rick

Comment

I use String Swing hangers.
            No issues at all.
            http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...ger?sku=450241
            Same ones that I use....

-Nate
            Insert annoying equipment list here....

Comment

Pictures (Big Image Warning)

Well here are some lame pictures, but when my brother comes over this weekend he'll bring his camera, hopefully allowing me to take more presentable pictures. In the mean time I've resized and sharpened as best I can to point out the spots:

My Charvel:

This one speaks for itself really:

My Jackson:

Notice the distortion in the clear coat:

Its not the lighting making the high lighted spot seem darker:

Again, this one speaks for itself:

There is more to it on the left side then the pictures show do to the quality. There is some discoloration around the first tuner, and the binding is coming undone.

My Olp:

Again a bad pic, but if you look closely you can see the slight discoloration.

And finally, the positions of them on the stand that support my theory the stand caused it:

Until I get to use my bro's camera, is there anyway for me to make my pictures look better?

Comment

Not really.
                The camera you were using apparently lacks an automatic macro function as it focused on the floor and not the guitar.
                If you're going to take a photo without a flash in indoor lighting, you need to use a camera tripod.
                As for the close ups, you could back away from the subject and zoom in if your camera lacks a macro lens.
                This should improve the focus.
                -Rick

Comment

Not really.
                  The camera you were using apparently lacks an automatic Macro function as it focused on the floor and not the guitar.
                  If you're going to take a photo without a flash in indoor lighting, you need to use a camera tripod.
                  Yeah, its cheap Junk Great for distance shots, but not good for anything within about 3 yards. Plus its older and only liek 3 megapixels.

Comment

It's absolutly the stand doing the damage. Thats why I'm not a fan of hanging guitar stands. I've went round and round with those that do love them but as I see it, it's the rubber plus the weight of the guitar that causes the damage. I have yet to see these type of problems on stands that support the bottom of the guitar. Unless we are talking those sands with the yellow rubber. Those things are the devil...

I really don't know what you expect the stand company to do for you though...
                    I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

I ruined a Gibson SG by leaving it sit in a cheap guitar stand. Th erubber covering the metal ate into the finish. Mad it all soft and mushy in three spots, right down to the wood. Man was I pissed.

- E.
                      Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

Is there any QC anywhere in this world?
                        I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexL View Post
                          I ruined a Gibson SG by leaving it sit in a cheap guitar stand. Th erubber covering the metal ate into the finish. Mad it all soft and mushy in three spots, right down to the wood. Man was I pissed.
                          likewise I ruined 2 Les Pauls like that...the back of the neck where the rubber on the stand supports the neck, ate into the finish/lacquer.
                          www.usacharvels.com - info, pics and Charvel guitar discussion board. All things Charvel
                          My Charvel guitars - always one away from too many!

Comment

Put a T-shirt or towel or something over the rubber parts on the stand. They don't play well with Gibson's nitro finishes.
                            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Damn, that sucks ass! I've got a Herc triple stand that all of my guitars have spent extended time in with no ill effects. I'll keep a good eye on them now, though. I wonder if it's due to a specific batch of the rubber pads or something?

Comment

Working...
                              X