Musical frustration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Musical frustration

Anybody ever feel like throwing in the towel?
    Every few years, I hit a stagnant spot/lull with the desire to play. Just frustrated at the lack of people who want to do originals, and the band/club scene in CT.
    Seems like even trying to form a cover or tribute band is a hassle. This time seems different though.. like “who cares”? Some of it may also be due to some of the behind-the-scenes stuff I have seen at festivals and on tours… just basically cured me from the music industry/club/touring scene
    I walked away from playing twice in my past – once when I was about 20 and concentrating on school, and once after one of my bands broke up and left a bad taste in my mouth - it was a REAL bummer situation. That was about 1995 and I sold almost all of my gear and didn’t start playing again until 1998. I have 1 amp and 1 guitar left from that time period…
    I have a TON of gear acquired since then sitting around and am thinking about selling just about everything except a few choice pieces – stuff that is both playable and harder to replace, just in case I change my mind.
    I’d probably just write/record, since music is in my soul, and I just got a good recording set-up last year.
    Any thoughts?
    Last edited by Wayniac; 04-20-2007, 04:29 PM.

i go through it too. don't do anything brash. just chill, record and see what happens. if it really becomes a small part of your life, THEN sell some stuff.
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

I've been there many times. It gets frustrating, but playing guitar is my one true love.
      I've never done anything rash with my gear though.
      The last time I just packed it all up into storage and didn't touch it for a couple of years.
      I'm glad I never got rid of any of it.
      Just put it away for a while if you need to.
      -Rick

Comment

Play for the love of the instrument, not all the bullshit that can come with it...

Having said that, I would take Ricks advice. Put it away for a while, then decide if you wanna sell...
        I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

don't sell. i hate having to sell my stuff, but i am forced to every time i want to upgrade. still miss my first guitar............
          "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

Originally posted by Bengal View Post
            Play for the love of the instrument, not all the bullshit that can come with it...

Having said that, I would take Ricks advice. Put it away for a while, then decide if you wanna sell...
            +1... I don't get why everyone has to play in a band.
            If you're flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit. Unless you are a table.

Comment

I quit playing in bands years ago. It just isn't worth the hassle to me anymore. I have no desire to be a rockstar or put up with rockstar attitudes from weekend players. However, now and then I will still sit in with a friends band. That is nice because it reminds me how much fun it is to play with good people and how much of a hassle it is to deal with those same people.
              Ultimately, I play because I love to play and that alone has kept me going for almost 25 years. I am in a position now where I don't need to sell anything so I have kept almost everything I used to play out with. Plus, I am a collector type so I am not good about getting rid of stuff...just ask my wife... Amp wise I am down to a half stack and a POD XT, that is more than enough. Also, I mainly play classical guitar now. That is a bit different then playing rock stuff in that it is always challenging and something I can do on my own. So after my long winded response...I suspect many of us consider throwing in the towel, but at different levels. Do you play to play in a band or do you just play for the love of playing and can do that alone? If you desire is to play in a band and that has lost its luster then move one...if you play for the love of playing find an outlet that allows you to continue.

The fact that you have been here before and come back leads me to believe selling everything might come back to bite you, because eventually you will want to play again. However, if you gear isn't near and dear to you, and it is replaceable then there is no harm in offloading it and buying new stuff later when the urge returns.

Comment

I am with you Wayne. I can't even relate to the bands that play around here anymore. They are either SRV blues bands or that screaming crappy metal that you have to be 18 to understand.

We are just writing, recording and promoting our newest CD.
                We already have several songs written for our next CD.

Comment

Originally posted by Stinkbug View Post
                  Do you play to play in a band or do you just play for the love of playing and can do that alone? If you desire is to play in a band and that has lost its luster then move one...if you play for the love of playing find an outlet that allows you to continue.

Thanks for all the input guys !
                  I actually play to play.. it really is in my blood somehow.. can't "not" be without music.\
                  But having said that - I DO miss the comraderie of a good band, and the musical challenge of pushing myself when playing with better musicians. Plus being able to play off of others for ideas (ie drum grooves, subtle changes in phrasing of a riff)

Comment

I gave up on the whole local tour (small clubs, fair grounds, hey day era late 80's) and decided late last year to buy up some good gigging gear and make a go of gigging again. I'll see what the remaining 2007 holds, 2007 may prove to be alittle on the slow side getting things going.

Being much older now, the gigging side of things seem be alittle more meaningful in the sense, theres no drugs or alcohol just playing for my hearts sake as well as to put a smile on some people's face. Before, I was mostly numb and dumb.

I have a couple of options on the table and I'm very carefully considering each. One, I could hook up with some of the players from the hey days and try this direction. This would be the easier route, but perhaps not meaningful enough for me.
                    Two, I could go with a whole fresh approach (something I never have done) and start my own creation/band with no former hey day players and start from scratch and see where it takes me. I like to take nothing and make something.

Speaking of myself, gigging is something I've learned that really never leaves. Guitar is more than just a hobby or a passing interest, it runs very deep. I don't get tired of it or burned out like many do, I guess I'm the odd ball, I just love to play.

My suggestion is, keep some reliable and depending gigging gear close by that sounds really good, because you just never know. Its much better to have it so when the opportunity comes knocking, you have the gear that helps make you available and ready.

Unfortunately, fifty percent of success depends on finding the right people. Finding the right people is a learning experience in itself and requires alot of patience. It takes some time to find the right people, but once you do, half the battle is won.

If you give it time, (whether a couple of weeks, or a couple of months or a year or so) music will find its way back to you every time.
                    Keep playing and good luck.
                    Last edited by Soap; 04-21-2007, 10:34 PM.
                    Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

I've gotten disgusted with the whole band thing and sold ALL my gear twice now.Only to have to start from scratch and start over.I don't believe music is an addiction that can be kicked.Nor is gigging for me.Even now,with one of the more successful bands I've had,i have isusses with some of my crew,luckily,I realized(just lately,in the nick of time) these problems are MINE, nobody else's fault!

"Unfortunately, fifty percent of success depends on finding the right people. Finding the right people is a learning experience in itself and requires alot of patience. It takes some time to find the right people, but once you do, half the battle is won.

If you give it time, (whether a couple of weeks, or a couple of months or a year or so) music will find its way back to you every time.
                      Keep playing and good luck."

Best advice I've ever heard,Just remember to put yourself in the"right people"slot also..
                      www.thejimmyhatz.com

Comment

Working...
                      X